Wiki Posts
Search

All US flights to NRT being Health inspected on arrival

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Japan flights quarantine!

I landed at NRT this afternoon. The flight was held due to new health inspections for all arriving flights. (especially NA and MX) They had us fill out new questionaires and then boarded the plane in protective gear and a thermal imager to check everyones temperature.

If you have a higher than normal temperature you can be denied entry or quarantined for 3 to 6 hours we were told.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC
Interesting. It's kinda like what you see in the movies. Let's hope that this doesn't turn into some kind of I Am Legend-28 Days Later or Resident Evil thing
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've moved this to the Japan forum - and duly noted it for my own NRT connection in May.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
So much for quick transfers or train connections!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
That's what happened to me today on UA885 SFO-KIX.
It took an hour for the temperature-checking process, and nobody could deplane until all pax were checked.
Pictures: http://ihbs.org/kix/osa1.htm

Last edited by redburgundy; Apr 29, 2009 at 6:53 am
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:31 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yuk, typical Japanese over-reaction.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:45 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redburgundy
Yikes! The flight didn't even come from Mexico.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
considering that this flu has spread throughout the world already(but not japan) they're going to have to start quarantining all the flights! there's only so much they can do
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

I still remember when I flew into Japan during the SARS scare in the early 00's and they were pointing a thermal instrument at my body when I was entering the immigration area... was glad I didn't get quarantined at the time!

Sanosuke!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by redburgundy
That's what happened to me today on UA885 SFO-KIX.
It took an hour for the temperature-checking process, and nobody could deplane until all pax were checked.
Wow, I was on UA885 last Thu/Fri, and (as usual) they forced everyone through those heat gun scanners after we deplaned, but that was it. Looks like I dodged a (small) bullet there.

Kinda scary, though. I also travelled in Asia during the SARS epidemic and luckily never ran into such a precaution.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
My company is supposedly preparing tens of thousands of gauze masks so that we will all be protected if a pandemic hits Tokyo.

Yup, everyone is freaking out here.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yuk, typical Japanese over-reaction.
How about? Why don't the American's learn something from Japan and Singapore? ^
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

They did not screen us today on the SIN-NRT flight. Looks like it is only flights from certain countries. I can see them boarding a UA flight at this moment.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:51 am

As of April 30, the flights subject to quarantine screening are those from North America -- Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.

On April 30, quarantine staff caught a woman who was tested positive for Type A flu. She was on NW1 from LAX, which arrived at NRT April 30, and pax were held nearly 6 hours, according to local media reports.

A secondary test is underway for the woman to determine if she, a Japanese in her 20s, has been infected with the swine flu virus. Type A includes both seasonal and swine flu viruses.

The Japanese government has suggested that screening procedures may be expanded to cover other flights if the swine flu epidemic spreads to other countries. But it looks like they are already running short of staff. (And such quarantine screening is deemed not that effective in containing the flu by experts. They won't probably be able to catch those in the incubation period.)
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
They did not screen us today on the SIN-NRT flight. Looks like it is only flights from certain countries. I can see them boarding a UA flight at this moment.
No special screening on HKG-NRT today. Basically, made you fill out the yellow form (used before during the SARS crisis) and a quick question or two at the health consultation counter before immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.