Japan for 3½ Days - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Japan for 3½ Days - What to do?

[Search seems to have gone belly up ]

To Market To Market & I are arriving into NRT in Mid April, latish on a Thursday evening and are to depart NRT the next Monday evening ~6pm.

We have arranged accommodation at an airport hotel for the first evening, but nothing else.

What we would like are suggestions on what to do during the Three and a half full days we have (The Monday afternoon can be employed getting back to NRT). We are both just over 50 so are not really looking for "night life".

I have read many posts on this forum and have a good idea of the options available to us, but rather than mention these we would appreciate any suggestions and / or advice.

Also, some direction to some good existing threads on this would be wonderful.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 11, 2009 at 8:18 pm
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For starters, how late is a "latish" arrival? Because if there is time to get into Tokyo, I'd say you should start by cancelling your airport hotel booking and rebook in Tokyo rather than waste time the next morning.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thankyou for the response.

We're scheduled to arrive at 9:25pm - Staying at Hilton ... expect to bed down ~11pm.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Japan in mid-April.. Don't miss out sakura blossoms.

In Tokyo blossoms will have finished by then.

So you would have to go up north a little.

For example. April 15, 2008 at Shirakawa River Bank in Miyagi Pref.
http://www02.jet.ne.jp/~kato0323/2008/2008top.htm

I hope you love it.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thankyou very much; I have bookmarked that page.

How best to go North?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by serfty
Thank you very much; I have bookmarked that page.

How best to go North?
You're welcome. Glad to know that.

Are you asking about the transportation ? Take one of the Shinkansen north-bound. The day sakura comes to bloom differs each year by up to 2 weeks, so I recommend your keeping destination flexible.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Here's the advice I give to everyone who asks vague, general questions like yours ("We're going to (Name of City). What should we see and do?"): Buy a guidebook and decide what YOU want to see.

Since you're arriving in April, you have plenty of time to buy a city guidebook or two for Tokyo (you'll find several at any major bookstore), read it through, and figure out what sounds most attractive to YOU. Not to anonymous people on a message board.

Then, if you have specific questions, like whether a certain itinerary is feasible in the time you have allotted, come back and ask. Also, read the sticky at the top of this column.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Actually, there's not much to do in Japan anymore. Really.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

kcvt750,

Not even skiing or snowboarding? ;P

Sanosuke!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
kcvt750,

Not even skiing or snowboarding? ;P

Sanosuke!
No, nothing. Place is a wasteland. Stay home.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

FWIW, I have done some extensive research; I was hoping some could come up with something different.

e.g. From this forum alone:
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:45 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Thanks for the advice.

FWIW, I have done some extensive research; I was hoping some could come up with something different.
Here's something different.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok, we have settled on a rough Itinerary, maybe leaving different for another time :
  • Overnight in NRT,
  • Friday Morning, travel by train to Kyoto
  • Spend a day and a bit in Kyoto. Overnight there (Kiyomizu-dera, Maruyama park cherry blossoms, philosopher's walk, Ginkakuji. Maybe Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nijojo),
  • Travel in the afternoon by train to Tokyo
  • Full day Sunday and Much of Monday looking around Tokyo (Imperial Palace, Sensōji Temple, Odaiba, Shinjuku etc.).
  • Monday afternoon head back to NRT.

Now a couple of questions:

1. While rather superficial, we do not have a lot of time and this is a comprise between what we'd like to do and the time we have.
Q: Are there any places not mentioned that we should try to fit in? Converserly should we drop anything?
2. Considering the planned use of trains, would a 7 "Japan Rail Pass" could be of some use/value to us?
Q: If we do go this way, are there any tips to help make usage easier. Perhaps there may be better options?
(I know any comments/suggestion made may be rather subjective, however any input would be appreciated)

Last edited by serfty; Jan 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Ok, we have settled on a rough Itinerary, maybe leaving different for another time :
  • Overnight in NRT,
  • Friday Morning, travel by train to Kyoto
  • Spend a day and a bit in Kyoto. Overnight there (Kiyomizu-dera, Maruyama park cherry blossoms, philosopher's walk, Ginkakuji. Maybe Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Nijojo),
You're very likely to have missed the cherry blossoms in Kyoto by this time, though the other places are worth seeing. You need to decide if you want blossoms or the temples and shrines. Kyoto and Nara are amazing cities in the Kansai region.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As mentioned, it is possible you will have missed the sakura. Hope for a late opening! With your limited time in Kyoto, I'd drop Maruyama Park and the Path of Philosophy - unless you are really into long walks. Plan on using cabs to maximize your time and get to the various sites quickly. That is how most Japanese do it if they are not with a group tour.

If you do get some left-over blossoms, I can recommend the north yard of Nijo Castle and the area around the lake at Ryoan-ji as substitutes for the better known sakura viewing areas. The northern part of the outer path around the grounds of Nijo-jo is lined on both sides with rows of cherry trees which arch over to form a flowery tunnel. It was just magical the last time we were there at the height of the season - and you have the added value of seeing the castle itself.

In Tokyo, again if you are fortunate to have sakura still in bloom, the Hama Rikyu Imperial Garden is fabulous. Of course, it is very nice even without cherry blossoms. A fun way to get there is by water bus down the Sumida River from Asakusa. The boat docks inside the garden on the way to/from the mouth of Tokyo Bay and returns you to Asakusa on the way back up river. Or you can just walk from the Garden over to Tsukiji or up to Ginza to catch a train, subway or cab.

As for the value of the 7-day JR Rail Pass for your limited stay, the round trip Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo very nearly pays for the pass. Add in using it for your trips NRT-Tokyo-NRT on the Narita Express and you are money ahead with the Pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.