Buying a high quality kitchen knife in Tokyo/Osaka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a high quality kitchen knife in Tokyo/Osaka

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when at a small mom&pop counter front restaurant, ask the chef where to go.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:29 am

Any more up to date recommendations? Tokyo, Kyoto, or Osaka.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by codex57
I bought two knives from here: KAMATA Hakensha?Japanese knife specialty store

amazing quality, I bought two exquisitely engraved knives with Japanese handles, except I totally miscalculated the currency difference and spent 10x what I thought, something that I woke up to when I received my tax refund up the street...oh well, but we absolutely love these knives and they cut effortlessly and cleanly vs anything we can buy in the USA.

now I just need to find someone in southern California who can sharpen them, since they are approaching two years old.
codex57 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
now I just need to find someone in southern California who can sharpen them, since they are approaching two years old.
I heard from a friend in the Bay Area that Perfect Edge knows what it is doing. Not sure if that goes for all locations or if there's a specific shop she takes her knives to.
Perfect Edge Cutlery & Chefs' Supply - Home
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jib71
I heard from a friend in the Bay Area that Perfect Edge knows what it is doing. Not sure if that goes for all locations or if there's a specific shop she takes her knives to.
Perfect Edge Cutlery & Chefs' Supply - Home
Thank you, that is a great suggestion - at $350 per knife, I'm not going to trust them to some student at Home Depot.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Masamoto, at Tsukiji has always been my go to. Better knives there go for around $100 US. Be warned, though, that it's a cash only shop.

They finish sharpen any knives you buy when you buy them.
polyesther likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:25 pm

Cash only, thanks.

Yeah, I got the sense that good ones are $100+

It's just hard judging from a Google search and YouTube videos what, if any store, is worth going to. I'm still not sure about Tower Knives in Osaka. Starting to wonder if they're just especially good at marketing in English.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:30 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I was in Tokyo looking for just this back around Thanksgiving. I walked to this street, which is away from the tourist areas and in a kitchen supply kind of neighborhood. There were 3-4 knife shops on this street and seemed to have very good selection:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/k....787506,17.26z

(near the top of the map, the cluster around "Tsubaya Cutlery World")
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
I was in Tokyo looking for just this back around Thanksgiving. I walked to this street, which is away from the tourist areas and in a kitchen supply kind of neighborhood. There were 3-4 knife shops on this street and seemed to have very good selection:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/k....787506,17.26z

(near the top of the map, the cluster around "Tsubaya Cutlery World")
The area is called Kappabashi. It's full of restaurant supply businesses.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by codex57
Nenohi in Tsukiji is my recommendation, all of our family's high end knives come from that shop: Chef's Knife Manufacturer NENOHI CUTLERY CO.LTD.. I always seem to run in to Michelin-starred chefs at their tiny shop, if that's any indication of quality and reputation.

I believe their location will remain after the inner market closure later this year.

They used to be only available in Japan, but now they are distributing internationally as interest has increased: Korin - Fine Japanese Tableware and Chef Knives

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.