Takuhaibin delivery service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.

Does anyone know what the best takuhaibin service to use is? Upon arriving at Narita...i plan to use one of these delivery services to ship my luggage to my host family's house. They are not picking me up and i know from experience that it is not wise to bring my luggage on the train. I know im going to have a lot anyways.

And about how much would it cost?...for a larger size suitcase..

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I haven't done it recently, but the last few times I did it (between 2000 and 2004) it was about ¥2000 per bag.

I LOVE takuhaibin. I've used it to send my large bag from one large city to another while I spent a couple of days going from village to village by bus and rural commuter train.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:31 pm

I just sent two bags. One small, one very large (62 inch bag). Tokyo to Osaka. It was 30,000 yen total. I think the split was 10K/20K. Just have the address of your hosts house ahead of time and you'll be fine.

As far as best? No idea. I usually use the service affiliated with Yamato, which is the biggest. You can look up the services on the Airport website.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by motytrah
... It was 30,000 yen total...
Surely you've got a decimal wrong. Wasn't that 3,000 yen? 30k yen would be over $300.00.

OP: Look for the cat symbol.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Surely you've got a decimal wrong. Wasn't that 3,000 yen? 30k yen would be over $300.00.

OP: Look for the cat symbol.
yeah..30K sounds odd.

thanks for the responses..Yamato is the cat symbol correct? And they have it at the airport?...it's not listed on narita's website.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my limited experience, there's no real reason to prefer one over the other, they all seem very reliable and all charge the same. If some of them have lines at NRT, just pick one without a line.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:42 pm
mjm
Original Member

This is quite correct in my experience too.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In my limited experience, there's no real reason to prefer one over the other, they all seem very reliable and all charge the same. If some of them have lines at NRT, just pick one without a line.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:47 pm

From Narita I prefer Yamato (black cat). They always deliver my bags the next morning in the requested two hour time frame. I have used them for many years. Since thy are so large, they usually have telephone staff who speak english.

I usually send one 70 pound bag to Tokyo for about 1,700 yen. Very nice.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
As other people have indicated, there seems to be little difference between the major companies...

But here's one small difference that I noticed a few years ago:

Yamato (logo: the cat) and Nittsu (logo: the pelican) put the driver's mobile phone number on the "We came while you were out' notification slip. So if there's a delivery while I'm not home, I refer to the notification slip when I get home and I can speak directly with the delivery guy who is often just around the corner....

Maybe Sagawa (logo: the running man) have started to offer this service too. Last time I dealt with them I remember that it was a bit more convoluted to deal with the IVR system (integrated voice response) and reschedule the delivery.

If you're arranging the delivery yourself, you can specify the delivery time to a specific window and this is all irrelevant. Similarly, if you're arranging delivery to a hotel, there should always be someone at the hotel who can accept the delivery.

So.... just go to the company with the shortest line.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by aaron1262
..Yamato is the cat symbol correct? ...
I was actually being about half facetious. I agree with everyone else. In your circumstances just go with whichever line is shortest.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:08 am
Original Poster

I'll go to the one with the shortest line based on all the responses.

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Not sure if it makes a difference to you, but if you use ANA Skyporter/Sagawa you can pick up a few ANA miles.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: United 1K
I have used many different delivery services from Narita, Osaka and Chubu Kokusai (Nagoya). You would be very pleased with any service from those airports. They are all reliable.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Does anyone know how early you can send your luggage via Takuhaibin to Narita airport?

We will be skiing early next year in Hakuba and would like to send our suitcase and ski gear to the airport then travel around Japan for 4 weeks. Will they store it for that long or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The delivery companies at Narita Airport will store luggage. It doesn't mention any upper limit. If you decide to go for that option, I'd visit the counters at Narita before you go to Hakuba and speak with them about what you're trying to do.

Charges may be rather steep for four weeks:
(Guidance is roughly 500yen per day to store a suitcase).
http://www.narita-airport.jp/jp/guid...st/svc_06.html

A better plan might be to set something up with a good hotel in Tokyo (or near the airport) - somewhere that you can spend the last night before departing - and find out if they can offer storage facility to hold your luggage for the four weeks before your check in.

Somewhere like the Imperial is likely to find a way to help you, I think. For a week or less, I'm sure it would be free of charge. For a month... well, give them a call and see what they say. (And please post the results here for everyone's benefit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.