Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Layovers: 4.5hr NRT, 5.5hr KIX, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster, please go easy on me! I've searched the forums, read previous threads, so hopefully this is not a silly or duplicate question.

I have 2 layovers coming up:
  • 4.5hr in NRT (May 9, arr 15:55, dep 20:30)
  • 5.5hr in KIX (May 19, arr 11:40, dep 17:15)
  • Both are int'l flights (YVR-NRT-ICN and ICN-KIX-YVR, on AC and OZ)

I've gathered from previous threads and other sources (e.g. wikitravel.org) that it's probably not a good idea on both these occasions to travel landside, given the layover durations and the potential for long immigration/customs lines. However, the information is a bit dated, so any thoughts/experiences from recent travelers in similar situations? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:05 am

Wouldn't have thought it would be a problem at KIX ime.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 4.5 hours at Narita you can go landside at the airport and, if lightening strikes and you get through immigration quickly, you might even be able to get to the town of Narita and back. The latter depends on doing your homework in advance and also your willingness to deal with new situations!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:08 am

Agreed -- at KIX, you should have the time to pop into Osaka for a hour or two, esp. as you're landing and departing at off-peak hours. I wouldn't try getting to Tokyo and back (or even Narita City and back) in 4.5h though.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
My comfort zone for leaving NRT to Narita City is 5 hours or more. As RichardInSF suggests, it would be possible if the stars align just right to do it in less but I wouldn't plan on it.

As for 5.5 hours at KIX, I also agree that you could get into town but again, wouldn't do it myself. There is enough to do landside at KIX, in the way of shops and restaurants, that I might leave the secure area but just stay at the airport. An hour to get through Immigration, an hour-and-a-half to get back airside for departure and an hour-and-a-half roundtrip on the train into town leaves less than 1.5 hours to do anything in Osaka. I'd rather have a decent Japanese meal and browse the bookstore or other shops than rush myself just to walk the sidewalks in Osaka or Shinosaka.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:41 pm

At the very least, you should check out the mall past immigration at NRT. Some good shopping there!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Leaving the secured area at KIX shouldn't be a problem given the 5.5 hour window. The hotel right across from the terminal is a good place to kill time and relax. If you want to get off the island for a bit there's always Rinku Town, right across the water and much closer than Osaka (which I agree is a bit far for that length of layover, plus you would risk getting lost, missing your train etc.)

I also wouldn't try leaving NRT within a 4.5 hour window. There are plenty of lounges, shops and restaurants to enjoy within the airport, both landside and airside.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:57 am
mjm
Original Member

Have to disagree with my esteemed forum mates here.

If you are on time arriving, get off the aircraft without dawdling, move to immigration relatively quickly (and get through inside of an hour), and have boarding passes for your onward flight, you will have plenty of time to pop into Narita City for at least an hour before heading back to the airport and through immigration. The train leaves at least every 20 minutes and takes maybe 10-15 minutes to Narita. And vice versa. You could be in Narita City by 17:30 very easily is my guess. Get a train back to the airport at 18:45 or so and you are in fine shape. If the line is long at immigration out of JApan they will come find in line and fastrack those that are on soon to depart flights. You will have stretched your legs, done something different, and not been airport bound for eons.

Go for it. Worse case scenario is it takes too long at immigration and you go shopping at the landside mall at NRT.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
At KIX, the Nankai Express only takes 35 minutes or so to get into Namba. There are a lot to see and do immediately next to the station. My favorite is the restaurant supply street just east of the Takashimaya store side of the station. The Nipponbashi area is full of electronic stores and a few more blocks to the east.

If you allow 1.5 hours to get to Namba and 2 hours back to the airport, you should still have 1.5 hour at Namba. You can take the 15:10 train back to the airport and still safe for your 17:15 flight.

KIX to Namba (the Beta train, may be 12:05 or 12:25)
Namba to KIX (may be 15:00 train)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.