Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest Int'l Destination ex-Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Cheapest Int'l Destination ex-Japan?

Anyone have an idea of the cheapest springtime destination (airfare-wise) out of Japan (preferrably KIX or NGO, but NRT is fine as well)? I may need to leave briefly for visa reasons and am wondering what the cheapest way to do this is. Also I'd like to try to make it *A if I can...
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:36 am

Programs: NH-PLT, NW-S, AC/UA/US/JL plain, Hertz#1G
Cheapest flight destinations: shop for Korea (Cheju/Busan/Seoul) or Taipei. (bulk fare JPY 37000+ tax incl).

Cheapest destination: Shanghai by ferry from Kobe or Osaka port. (2nd class 30,000JPY r/t, breakfasts incl.)

2nd cheapest destination: Busan. Take a night-bus to Shimonoseki (16000+ JPY r/t from Osaka), then hop on a ferry (17100JPY r/t).

Add some fun: Shinkansen to Shimonoseki, then ferry to Busan, then Korean express train to Seoul. (19800JPY o/w thru-fare "日韓共同きっぷ" from Osaka)
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't even consider boats, and those are some great ideas. Do you by chance know about how long the whole trip takes when using the 日韓共同切符?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Consolidator round trip fares Tokyo/Kansai-Seoul often seem to be under Y25000 when they are at their lowest. Still a ripoff compared to, say, some of the budget carriers in Europe.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: NH-PLT, NW-S, AC/UA/US/JL plain, Hertz#1G
Day 1
Morning: Shinkansen from Osaka /Nagoya to Kokura ~3-4 hours.
Noon: Local train to Shimonoseki ~30min
Evening: Kanpu Ferry to Busan (Boarding 6pm, Arrival 8am next day)

Day 2 (or later if stopover)
Morning: Semaul express to Seoul (10:30 or 15:30 dept only) ~3hours.

- JPY5000 upgrade to Jetfoil boat (3 hours from Fukuoka to Busan) enables same day trip from Osaka/Nagoya to Seoul.
- One-way ticketing for half the price, in combination with inbound air ticket (JPY30,000-40,000), is also available.
- TAs in a major stations, especially the ones in major station, usually have better experience with ticketing this fare.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Maybe worth just phoning a couple of agencies and asking for their absolutely cheapest packages for a weekend break. They might offer a deal with hotel included for little more than the airfare. Single-traveller supplements might be a problem. They're often geared to two people sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.