Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Western' clothes in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

'Western' clothes in Tokyo

I've heard that it can be quite difficult to buy western sized clothes in Japan. We're not looking to 'shop' but I would like to know where I can quickly buy some regular clothes if BA lose out luggage.

Carrying more than spare socks/underwear in our carry on is not an option.

So, is there a Gap, Levis, A&F, Marks and Spencer or whatever we can quickly head to if the worst happens?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
I remember seeing a Gap on Omotesando. Here's a map from another shop that shows where Gap is:
http://www.fujimamas.com/images/gmap-fujimamas-e-lg.gif

Looks like Zara and H&M should or will be there too:
http://www.japanmarketingnews.com/20...motesando.html
Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
There are many, many clothing stores where you can buy "western" clothing. The problem is not the clothes but the sizes. If you wear small or medium sizes, you will have no problem finding clothes. If, on the other hand, you are an XL-Long (like me) you will have trouble. Shoes, in particular, can be a problem. My US 13s cause looks of consternation with inn-keepers trying to find slippers for me. I can't imagine trying to find shoes for purchase.

If you are going to be in Kyoto, I know there is a GAP on Karasuma-dori a block or two north of Kyoto station - just south of Nishi-Honganji temple.

JR
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you just need some things to tide you over (and aren't larger than 182 CM and 80+-KG) then UNIQLO is a cheap option. If you take a large in your country, try on an XL. Shoes............pretty well forget it, you might have luck at ABC Mart, or some ultra-high end shoe shops.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Does this stem from Jenbel's comment in the BA forum that she and the entire British embassy staff searched on a Sunday in Tokyo for a jacket for a 6ft 4in tall guy whose luggage was lost by BA... but to no avail... and the entire group decided to go to their meeting the following day without jackets so as not to embarrass him?

I don't know what the British embassy staff tried... If the clothes at Isetan didn't fit, perhaps they could have checked their network of friends to find a very large foreign resident of Tokyo to lend them a jacket for a day. Perhaps they were busy averting a trade war or attending a cocktail party.

The "on a Sunday" is a red herring; Sunday is a fine day to go shopping in Tokyo. However, it is certainly true that Japanese clothes aren't designed for European/American proportions. You can find Gap, Zara and so on - but they won't necessarily have all the sizes that you would normally find in the Edinburgh Gap or Zara. If you're medium sized (as Q-Shoe described) then you will find stuff that you can wear - although when you find a shirt in your collar size, you may find the sleeves too long etc.. But if you're tall and big, then your options are very limited.

If you're in the enviable position of being able to claim against insurance, I suggest you try Isetan's "Super Men's" department in Shinjuku. Price performance is bad, but they stock a lot of big and tall sizes:
http://www.isetan.co.jp/icm2/jsp/sho...mens/index.jsp

I think there's also a store with large sizes near Shinbashi - I'll try to find the name and address.

The Isetan store claims to cater for men up to 195cm tall. But frankly speaking, if you're that height with a European build, you may find that nothing off the shelf hangs terribly well.

But really, if BA's bad reputation for losing luggage concerns you - and you need to have some business clothes in Tokyo, then you're probably best off wearing a jacket, a good pair of slacks and a smart pair of shoes for the flight. (and a spare shirt in your carryon).

BTW - While writing this response, I was thinking of the need to buy decent looking business attire. If you're just looking for jeans and sweatshirts, then I'd try Uniqlo first.

Last edited by jib71; Oct 5, 2007 at 10:26 pm
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Isetan doesn't cut it there is always the shop below.....

http://www.grand-back.co.jp/index.html
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:31 pm

Location: YYC, MIA, JFK, LHR, AMS, BRE, SIN, NRT ... or in transit.
Programs: LH Gold, Flying Club Silver, JAL Mileage Bank, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Thumbs up

I used to be in a similar situation about 2 years ago-- even 180cm/70kg -- no idea what that is in "stones" even though I live in London -- is quite a problem... However, what's the point of going to Japan and then buying Western cloths.
If you are looking for stylish items, like the "UK" Gap, I suppose (the "US" GAP is mid-range as there is Banana Republic above "US" GAP), A&F (if you are in the United States, go for J Crew, quality is way better there) ... and the like can be found in the Takashimaya Department Store which is in Shinjuku ... take "Shin Minami Guchi" (= New South Exit), if this is your first time to Shinjuku and should you get lost, the question for directions would be "Sumi masen, shin minami guchi wa doko desu ka?" or "Takashimaya departoo wa ..."

Good luck!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
If Isetan doesn't cut it there is always the shop below.....
http://www.grand-back.co.jp/index.html
Ah yeah - Perhaps I was thinking of their Yurakucho store when I said "near Shinbashi"
http://www.grand-back.co.jp/shoplist/yuraku_map.php

They also have a store in Aoyama:
http://www.grand-back.co.jp/shoplist/aoyama_map.php
Old Oct 6, 2007, 1:56 am

Easy.
Zen Mall Shibuya.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 2:01 am

I think I saw a couple western-looking shirts at Don Q, or Donkey's or whatever you want to call it. Something stupid was written on them, but they looked big enough.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:16 am

Programs: UA MP
If you're over 80 kg, buying clothes here will be fairly difficult, although others have pointed out acceptable stores. If you're under 80 kg and not overly tall (I'm ~195 cm and ~80 kg), you shouldn't have too much trouble. Shoes will be a big problem if you have big feet (whenever I go somewhere that requires slippers, I bring my own). Uniqlo should have acceptable clothing, although be sure to try things on. Fits can be quite different here, even if the sizes are technically the same. There are some Gaps and there should be J Crew in Tokyo too.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
TokyoRich has it. You can also find large clothing, of course, as people have pointed out, at the GAP, Uniqlo, and at the department stores.

And there's always Ameyoko Market.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Tokyorich
Easy.
Zen Mall Shibuya.
Good call.
http://www.zenmall.co.jp/shoplist/index.htm

Looks like they have clothes for up to 200cm tall and 150cm waist. The fit may not be what you're used to - but if you're 2m tall and 1.5m in circumference, what exactly are you used to?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: WWMFD
ABC shoe stores generally have sizes to fit average western feet & there are no shortage of ABC locations in Tokyo (including three in the Ameyoko Market @ Ueno).
Old Oct 6, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Brings back memoires of having to dash all over Tokyo trying to find 30CM shoes all day as my old shoes were "talking" at the sole. OH the humiliation! But I did manage to find 30CM shoes at the store across the street from Ueno station! I always look back on that dreaded day and am glad I always buy new shoes before I go to Japan from now on.

Sanosuke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.