Tokyo Onsen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Onsen

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by anchor79
OT...Anyone tried the Manyo Club Onsen in CTS Airport?? any trip reports?
I tried it out in early June before catching a flight. It's nice and the pricetag isn't too bad (1500yen). There's a couple of indoor pools as well as a scrubdown area, a mist sauna and some nice outdoor pools.

The view you have from the men's side of the outdoor pools is towards the north, so it isn't quite as good for airplane spotting as the onsen at Nagoya-Centrair, but you do have an OK enough view of planes coming in for a landing and the military side of the airport.

There were some common areas and food available but time was short for me and I concentrated on the dipping.

Definitely worth it if you ask me. Of course if you're coming from a fancier mountain spot, this will probably seem like a step down, but if you need to freshen up and relax before a long trip, this is your best bet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Has anyone tried Oedo-Onsen-Monogatari in Daiba? I wouldn't mind trying something like this after a long day of sightseeing and it seems a very good value to relax and unwind for an evening but thought I'd ask if any posters have visited and had some input.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Has anyone tried Oedo-Onsen-Monogatari in Daiba? I wouldn't mind trying something like this after a long day of sightseeing and it seems a very good value to relax and unwind for an evening but thought I'd ask if any posters have visited and had some input.
I've been there at least a dozen times. It's fun, but it's a theme park, putting you in a yukata to spend time in a kitsch rendition of Edo-era Japan packed with other tourists. It's a place to do more sightseeing, not really to "relax and unwind".
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:41 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I went to Oedo Onsen Monogatari in July last year and enjoyed it -- mostly. The only bad thing was dealing with the Yurikamome, which is slow as molasses, and in the summer has pitifully bad air conditioning.

They had bus service from near the Yaesu gate of Tokyo station, and Kachidoki, so those might be good alternatives (or take the Rinkai line to get closer and then hop on the Yurikamome)

I prefer the Heiwajima Onsen @ Big Fun Heiwajima more if you want to relax -- it feels a lot slower and kinda like your neighborhood sento. OOM is a lot more lively, and you'll find yourself wanting to switch between the baths almost every 5 minutes since the variety is quite large (maybe a bit too large).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:48 am

I'm gonna be in Hakone for a couple days. Can anyone suggest any good Onsen in that city?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I'm gonna be in Hakone for a couple days. Can anyone suggest any good Onsen in that city?
I could, but it's Hakone! It's much more fun to explore on your own.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by KPT
I went to Oedo Onsen Monogatari in July last year and enjoyed it -- mostly. The only bad thing was dealing with the Yurikamome, which is slow as molasses, and in the summer has pitifully bad air conditioning.

They had bus service from near the Yaesu gate of Tokyo station, and Kachidoki, so those might be good alternatives (or take the Rinkai line to get closer and then hop on the Yurikamome)
Actually my last 3 nights in Tokyo are at a hotel opposite the Yaesu gate of Tokyo Station so catching that free shuttle bus would be very convenient.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually my last 3 nights in Tokyo are at a hotel opposite the Yaesu gate of Tokyo Station so catching that free shuttle bus would be very convenient.
Bus stops at: Rinkai Line Tokyo Teleport Station, JR Shinagawa Station, JR Tokyo Station, Tokyo Metro Toyocho Station, Tokyo Metro/Toei Subway Monzen-Nakacho Station, Toei Subway Morishita Station, JR Kinshicho Station, Toei Subway Sumiyoshi Station, Tokyo Metro Toyosu Station.
Sounds like a much slower trip than the Yurikamome...

EDIT: It is a 40 minute trip one way from Tokyo Station. And only five buses a day.

http://www.ooedoonsen.jp/higaeri/acc..._tokyosta.html
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A recently published list (that covers a surprising percentage of this thread's recommendations) can be found here:

http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/featu...en/#east-tokyo
Hopefully the links are more up to date.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:23 am

Sanga No Yu is another Tokyo onsen I may check out, time permitting, and it gets top marks in this article. Their website is also in English and quite helpful.

http://www.setaonsen.co.jp/index_e.html
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Looking for any sento near Ikebukuro--down market is fine. Just looking for a place easily accessible for an upcoming trip.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
Looking for any sento near Ikebukuro--down market is fine. Just looking for a place easily accessible for an upcoming trip.
Here's a map showing bathhouses in that area (may not be ALL the bath houses)
http://www.1010.or.jp/cgi/dsearch.cgi?sel=7&shiku=20
If you find anything note worthy do let us know - but this IS a thread about Onsen within Tokyo.

Here is one that appears to be an Onsen (but I'm not sure it is, more like a mini 'super sento' you access via a mini mart)
http://www.yurax.jp/map.html
Copy and paste the following into Google maps for a better location guide
豊島区上池袋2丁目10番6号
It's about 200m from Ikebukuro.

Another list of bath houses in the Toshima ward can be found here:
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...ed=0CF0Q7gEwBg
None are listed as actual Onsen.

Last edited by LapLap; Apr 8, 2013 at 12:50 am
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Thanks LapLap--will report back when I check one or two out , but not till May! (I just like to pre-plan!)

Edited May 22nd-here's my report.

Went to this one http://www.yurax.jp/. Little tricky to walk to it due to the convoluted nature of the roads near there, but with my trusty Tokyo atlas in hand , I made the trip on a Monday evening. It is definitely a local sento, buried away on a small back street and it is combined with a mini-convenience store, and a small laundromat. I am sure they don't see many western visitors.

Paid the required fee, and bought some soap and shampoo. Had my own towel, but if you don't they sell "empty handed sets".

Water temp was quite hot and there was a hot, medium and cool bath. Did not try the sauna.

Good way to relax for a bit for a nominal charge.

Last edited by mapleg; May 22, 2013 at 4:05 am
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by KPT
Having returned from NRT and seeing this thread being bumped wanted to say I really enjoyed the Oedo Onsen Monogatari experience. I wound up taking the Yukikamome from Shimbashi as it worked better into my schedule that going back to Tokyo Station and then getting to the free shuttle bus stop.

After a cold and wet day touring Kamakura the day prior soaking the afternoon away at this onsen was a nice break at the end of a Tokyo trip and was glad I visited it. Sure, it's a little kitsch but I liked it and would return.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a cold and wet day touring Kamakura the day prior
Should have finished up your trip at Enospa!

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUs...ure_Kanto.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.