Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Shirokanedai Dining Options (AKA where to eat when you're at the Tokyo Miyako)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm linking to this thread from the Starwood forum as FTers are missing out on a good dining area when staying at the Sheraton Miyako Hotel.
Shirogane Shiroganedai Platinum Street dining area guide Gaien Nishi Boulevard

A few steps from the Miyako - There's Enju, within Happoen Garden, 1-1-1 Shirokanedai (Enju English website)
Al Ceppo, 3280-5005, Shirokane 2-3-19 set lunch from ¥1,015 - includes coffee (dessert ¥350 extra) MAP
Takanawa Samrat Curry House 5420-9230, Takanawa 1-2-1 BUDGET OPTION Located to the North of Shirokanetakanawa station MAP
Pizzeria Salvatore Cuomo(English), 5447-6465, Shirokane 1-29-9 located just to the North of Shirokane Takanawa Station MAP (associated article) Pizzas can be delivered
The Toei 94 bus runs from the East of the Miyako to this area (¥200 - but it's only a couple of stops... don't overshoot! See route details below)

Or for v. good Ramen you could walk South to Takanawadai station
メンタツ Mentatsu Ramen 3443-6659, Shirokanedai 2-26-13 Map Here- Open: 11:30〜15:00 & 18:00〜22:00
The 94 bus runs here if you don't feel like walking back

Restaurant & Wine Celler Davis English review 3440-6007, Takanawa 2-5-6 MAP
starting from the Miyako, walk South along the orange road (Sakurada Dori) - at the AMPM convenience store turn left (East) which will lead you onto a street just South of the post office - Davis is around here
Manuel Churrascaria 3443-5002, Takanawa 2-3-22 English review MAP

If you're Kosher (see post#3) or like Israeli food there's David's Deli (click for review) just to the North East from Shirokane Takanawa Station on Sakurada Dori (orange road), 5-13-13 Mita (Mita 5 - top right of this map)

I'd advise anyone after a modestly priced meal to walk Northwards to the Shirokane 3 area. Parallel to the river/shuto expressway there are streets with plenty of bar and restaurant choices. MAP of area
eg: Labyrinthe (French), 5420-3584, Shirokane 3-2-7 (near the post office) - prix fixe lunch approx ¥1k, dinner considerably more
For inexpensive but good food in the evenings there is this yakiniku place:
Suzukiya, Shirokane 3-9-8 MAP

If you stray in to the Shirokane 1 area you should also find a few restaurants there too
壱参らーめん Ichisan Ramen, 3280-2237, Shirokane 1-3-14 (open until midnight)Map
EDIT TO ADD - this is definitely an up and coming area, more and more good restaurants are opening up around here. A trio of just opened galleries might also help.

Just to the West of Shirokane 3 there's Pizzeria Isola (English), 6-17-2 Shirokane
or
Chez Tomo Shirokane 5-15-5 (Food photos here) Lunch: 4 courses ¥2,890 - Dinner: 6 courses ¥5,780 - Organic Vegetable menu: 5 courses ¥5,780 (bottle of wine ¥5k) - NOTE this place now has a Michelin star
シロガネ Shirogane 3449-0033 3rd Floor, 6-16-28 Shirokane (above the Mercedes Benz dealership) for a more formal Japanese meal lunch from ¥2k to ¥10k, dinner ¥6k upwards, Hanagoromo course ¥3k or
甚六 Jinroku (English) 3441-1436, Shirokane 6-23-2
心米 Kokoromai 5793-4556, Shirokane 6-18-7 2F English Review - Yomiuri Review JP Recommended for rice connoisseurs set dinner menus from ¥4k
(This area is near the Northern end of Platinum Avenue)

And of course, there are plenty of upscale choices on Platinum Avenue itself (also known as Gaien Nishi Dori) just to the East of Shirokanedai station such as
Blue Point 4,19,19 Shirokanedai
Sakura Sakura (Engrish), 5-15-10 Shiroganedai (tucked off the avenue on the other side to Blue Point - map).
Il Grappolo is another option, 4-9-18 Shirokanedai (basement) (food photos)
There's also a
La Boheme (English) 4-19-17 Shirokanedai (part of a popular, and moderately priced, Italian style chain)
Or for that Michelin 3* blow out:
Quintessence - MAP

Platinum Avenue is the yellow road running North to South.

Here's a list of just some of the restaurants on Platinum Avenue (purachina dori):

Japanese
茶茶 ChaCha, 5792-5792, Shirokanedai 5-14-1 evening set menu from ¥3,675 and an unlimited 2 hour 'bar for ¥2,1000 (URL)
ひづき Hizuki, 5798-7492, Shirokanedai 5-11-2 (English)
光仙 Kosen, 5447-8255, Shirokanedai 5-17-11
三合庵, Sangouan, 3444-3570, Shirokanedai 5-10-10
利庵, Tosian, 3444-1741, Shirokanedai 5-17-2
*(fusion) 雫 (シズク) Shizuku, 5449-4977, Shirokanedai 5-17-10, B1 (Japanese article)

French
L'ecailler, 6408-0879, Shirokanedai 5-3-8 3 course pasta/rice lunch w/ coffee from ¥1.8k
Ozawa, 3442-1171, Shirokanedai 4-9-23 (food photos)

Italian:
Alberato, The House Shirogane, 3449-2662, Shirokanedai 4-9-19 (URL in left column - Menu HERE jp)
Ristorante Luxor (English), 3446-6900, Shirokanedai 5-4-7 pasta & salad/soup lunch from ¥1.5k + ¥300 for dessert
*(fusion) Stellato (English), 3442-5588, Shirokanedai 4-19-17 (food photos)

Bar Tsuya Shirokanedai 5-2-5 1F

------------
Within the Sheraton Miyako itself is the Cafe California.
Not the most economical of options, this is what ¥1,785 will buy you at lunchtime - note, the hamburger is ONLY available at lunchtime. The reviewer did say it was a good one, even though he blanched at the price!

Here's the Google Satellite Map, centred on the Miyako.

And if these aren't enough options, you could just get the 94 Toei bus on Sakura Dori (which runs along the East of the Miyako) Northwards to Azabu Juban which is great for restaurants. Trip costs ¥200 and takes less than 5 minutes. And Azabu Juban is a 30-40 minute walk away (or just a few hundred ¥ in a taxi) so you wouldn't get stranded.
Here's a great example:
Yukimura Azabu MAP great but expensive
or there's the more affordable Kan Nichi Kan (MAP) for excellent Korean food - EDIT, big change in management and restaurant is not nearly so good anymore

Vegetarian?
Get the shuttle bus to Meguro, from there walk to
http://www.woodmoon.jp/ - MAP

A little further afield, but perhaps worth it if you want to eat more swanky vegetarian food
Merleau Pannonica - best to make a reservation before turning up as there are only 17 seats
(Meguro Ward) Aobadai 2-10-11 Saijo Mt. space 1F
Tel: 03-3464-0100 , open:18:00 - 22:30
MAP

Last edited by LapLap; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Westin

MAP SHOWING PLATINUM AVENUE IN RELATION TO WESTIN
Westin is centre left - Platinum Avenue is marked in Yellow
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
David's Deli isn't Kosher, but it is pretty good.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:28 pm
mjm
Original Member

Il Grappolo is a great place. One of my favorites. Check out more info in English at:

http://www.eatpia.com/ilgrappolo/index.html

Also if you do go to Stellato, ask to sit on the roof. Outstanding!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
David's Deli isn't Kosher, but it is pretty good.
David's is fantastic. One of the best falafels that I have ever had. Wife loves the schnitzel. We try to go there at least once a month.

I still miss a New York style deli with Hot Pastrami piled high.

Marc
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:42 am

[QUOTE=Marq;8194530]David's is fantastic. One of the best falafels that I have ever had. Wife loves the schnitzel. We try to go there at least once a month.

How does this compare to Pita The Great?

You can get Reubin sandwiches (not the same as piled high NY style) at Anna Miller's.Great pie aso.

Nishin in Azabu Juban sells pastrami and corned beef. Not bad forTokyo.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyorich
How does this compare to Pita The Great?

You can get Reubin sandwiches (not the same as piled high NY style) at Anna Miller's.Great pie aso.

Nishin in Azabu Juban sells pastrami and corned beef. Not bad forTokyo.
I have not been to Pita the Great; I guess I need to give it a try.

I have bought two types of pastrami and also the corned beef at Nissin but haven't been overly impressed. I have a 10 hour layover at JFK next month so I am going to try get a good pastrami sandwich.

Marc
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Sorry to cause you so much trouble!

Sorry to cause you so much trouble by my grumbling on the other thread!!

I was really just adding it on to put the boot in....and what's more...there's nothing to eat!

It's a really nice list and will be very helpful to anyone that stays there. I was very aware of Platinum Avenue and was hoping that this would be similar to what would be offered close to the Miyako. I was expecting a very easy out at 1pm back by 2pm lunch at somewhere close (within a few minutes walk) from the hotel (this is Tokyo!) and I failed miserably.

However I would say that Platinum Avenue, although great for eating and coffee and worth the visit, is a bit of a hike from the Miyako, especially in high summer, I would recommend spending 660 yen in a cab on the way there - at least the walk back would be downhill and help with working the calories off.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by websterlewis
I was expecting a very easy out at 1pm back by 2pm lunch at somewhere close (within a few minutes walk) from the hotel (this is Tokyo!) and I failed miserably.
The odds are pretty much against you if you stumble out into the neighbourhood hoping to randomly hit somewhere nearby.

I've still not stayed at the Miyako EDIT - I HAVE NOW and have only skirted the area around it (I've walked through Shirokane quite a few times as it is between Minami Azabu 3 and Takanawa 2 - that Davis restaurant was a b*gger to find when you only remember what the front entrance looks like!) and the current list reflects that bias.

Only the first few suggestions are very near the hotel (hopefully, knowing about Pizzeria Salvatore Cuomo's delivery service will help if time is short!).

I will be staying at the Miyako for a few days in early October and will see if it's possible to update the list with a few more of the closer options. If anyone has any further suggestions, please post them and I'll update.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 28, 2009 at 12:52 am
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought this area was fantastic for dining options - definitely an up and coming area with more restaurants opening up all the time. Shirokane 1 in particular was full of interesting places. (Shirokane 1 spills on to Shirokane 3)

I'm revisiting this thread to comment on a new Art Gallery

3-1-15 Shirokane MAP
http://www.takahashi-collection.com/

Some info in English here: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0080131b1.html

The gallery will probably go some way to further stimulating the area's dining scene.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

I love Le Boheme and their pizza.. MMMMMMM! I try to go there at least twice when I'm in Japan -- to their locations in Ginza area.

Sanosuke!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Non of the map links seem to work. I'm at the Sheraton Miyako now. I'll take a gamble on walking northwards.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Non of the map links seem to work. I'm at the Sheraton Miyako now. I'll take a gamble on walking northwards.
They were working quite recently, but many of the gnavi links aren't today.

I've already updated a couple of the links to show Googlemap positions. I'll try and do more in the next couple of evenings.
Ones that do work today are the maps related to Al Cepo, Pizzeria salvatore Cuomo, Mentatsu Ramen, Cellar Davis and Churrascaria.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 18, 2009 at 6:55 am
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks for updating. So far I've been eating out of the supermarkets near the station.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Dominic Carter has blogged about some restaurants in that area:
http://tokyoeater.blogspot.com/
Mostly somewhat fancy French places...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.