Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Best way with 2 luggage from Yokohama Grand to Shiodome Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way with 2 luggage from Yokohama Grand to Shiodome Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Location: Kailua, Hawaii. USA - UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Question Best way with 2 luggage from Yokohama Grand to Shiodome Tokyo?

Staying with my wife at Yokohama Grand Hotel on weekend. Have to move to Conrad Tokyo at Shiodome, Tokyo on Sunday for meeting. Will have 2 luggage. Is the train out of the question? What is best way to get to Tokyo. Heard that Yokohama Grand is far from the Yokohama train station. Thanks for anyone helpful advice.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
There is a New Grand Yokohama Hotel and the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama.

Which hotel will you be at?

I'll run on the assumption its the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama.

The cloest JR Station to that hotel is JR Sakuragicho Station. Sakuragicho Station is a short ride to Yokohama Station.

However, the walk from the Intercontinental Grand to Sakuragicho Station is about 15+ minutes.

At Sakuragicho you can just take the Negshi Line/Keihin-Tohoku line right to Shimbashi Station, at Shimbashi you can walk to the Conrad.

The Keihin-Tohoku line is a local line from Yokohama to Tokyo so it makes more stops than say the Yokosuka or Tokaido line, its about 15 minutes slower than those lines, however if you factor in the amount of time it takes to transfer at Yokohama Station from the negeshi line to those other lines I don't think you'll be saving any time at all.

Now luggage, if its 2 that is not overly large or cumbersome, I think you can do it depending on time of day, ie, if your not caught in the rush hour crush.

Another option is having your luggage delivered to your hotel in Tokyo. Takkyubin services can deliver your luggage with next day service.

Depending on sizes maybe you can take out the essentails you'll need for the rest of the day and send the rest of the luggage a day in advance from Yokohama to the Conrad, so you'll have it arrive the next day you head out to Tokyo?

I'm sure others here probably have better options than the one's I thought of.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:05 am

IC Grand is near Minato Mirai station, so you also have the option of taking the Minato Mirai subway line. This passes through Yokohama stn, so you could interchange there onto any of the trains suggested by railroadtycoon.

Alternatively, you can just ride the MM line straight through to Shibuya, and change there onto the Yamanote or Ginza lines which will both take you to Shinbashi. Both transfers will require a little walking though.

I agree that Takkyubin would be an excellent idea if your bags are bulky.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between about 10am - 3pm weekdays, the Keihin-Tohoku line runs express on the east side of Tokyo but I believe it would still stop in Shimbashi. Not absolutely positive, however, since I am in Paris and didn't bring my Tokyo RR maps with me for some unknown reason!
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
In case you do board at JR Sakuragicho Station onto the Negishi/Keihin-Tohoku line train, and the Keihin-Tohoku turns out to be a Rapid train that skips Shimbashi Station, doing a quick cross-platform change (you walk off the train to the other side of the platform) at Tamachi Station to the Yamanote Line is the best bet.

Doing the cross platform change with luggage is a lot easier than doing a change of lines at Yokohama Station, since the Keihin-Tohoku platforms and Tokaido and Yokosuka line platforms require going up and down stairs/escalators to get to the other lines.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: JL-JGCM, NH-SFC
I not sure how you are familier with train system.
It is possible to move Yokohama-Tokyo by train with luggeages, but you may face some difficulty while moving inside the station.

First Option is to ask luggage service from Hotel to Hotel. You can get your luggage at same or next day delivery with about 1500 Yen/luggage costs.
Second, You can use taxi to go directly to Conrad, it will costs 20K JPY.

I will recomend luggage service, so you can ride any train you want without any worry.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Between about 10am - 3pm weekdays, the Keihin-Tohoku line runs express on the east side of Tokyo but I believe it would still stop in Shimbashi. Not absolutely positive, however, since I am in Paris and didn't bring my Tokyo RR maps with me for some unknown reason!
Keihin Tohoku express trains do not stop at Shinbashi.
I watch 'em go straight thru... woosh... as I wait for my Yamanote line train.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Keihin Tohoku express trains do not stop at Shinbashi.
I watch 'em go straight thru... woosh... as I wait for my Yamanote line train.
If Wikipedia is to be believed, ordinary services do stop at Shinbashi:

Trains run every 2–3 minutes at peak hours, every 5 minutes during midday, and less frequently the rest of the time. In most instances, these trains are classified as futsu (local), stopping at all stations en-route. However, during middays they are classified as kaisoku (rapid). These rapid trains skip some stations in central Tokyo, where it runs parallel to the Yamanote Line.

The Japanese version further clarifies that rapid service operates between 10:30 and 15:30, so if I'm reading that right, outside those times they should stop in Shinbashi.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:12 am

Programs: AA million miler
yes, you can walk from shimbashi to the conrad while schlepping two suitcases

but- you will arrive at the conrad hot, tired, and sweaty.

plus, during some recent roadworks in the area, you had to climb a set of stairs and back down to cross over the street.

you could just take a cab from shimbashi for this short run, and arrive refreshed

i've seen people take the yurikamome line one stop, from shimbashi to shiodome (and then you can walk under cover to the Conrad)

if you can afford the conrad, splurge on door-to-door taxi service- you will arrive unstressed
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The Japanese version further clarifies that rapid service operates between 10:30 and 15:30, so if I'm reading that right, outside those times they should stop in Shinbashi.
Yes this is correct, Rapid trains do not stop during this time period. But outside this time period local trains do. If you are on a Rapid train arriving from the direction of Yokohama, a cross platform change of trains at Tamachi Station to the Yamanote Line is your best bet.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Alternatively, you can just ride the MM line straight through to Shibuya, and change there onto the Yamanote or Ginza lines which will both take you to Shinbashi.
Keep in mind the transfer at Shibuya to the Ginza line involves a lot of stairs. I also agree with many that baggage service to the Conrad + trains is the way to go, unless you can budget for the taxi.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thinking outside the box...what about getting the limousine bus to Haneda and then onwards to the Conrad? Would that work?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Thinking outside the box...what about getting the limousine bus to Haneda and then onwards to the Conrad? Would that work?
Sure, if you don't mind paying 6,000 yen or so (roughly 3K for each ticket to and from Haneda) for a 2 hour ride that would take 25 minutes and cost 500 yen by train.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:14 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood
yes, you can walk from shimbashi to the conrad while schlepping two suitcases

but- you will arrive at the conrad hot, tired, and sweaty.

plus, during some recent roadworks in the area, you had to climb a set of stairs and back down to cross over the street.

you could just take a cab from shimbashi for this short run, and arrive refreshed

i've seen people take the yurikamome line one stop, from shimbashi to shiodome (and then you can walk under cover to the Conrad)

if you can afford the conrad, splurge on door-to-door taxi service- you will arrive unstressed
I walk from Shimbashi to Shiodome almost every day, and I've never had to climb stairs to cross a street.

Taking the Yurikamome from Shimbashi to Shiodome is just silly. The time spent getting to and from the Yurikamome platforms and waiting for the train would eat up any time saved by taking the train a distance that can be walked in 5-10 minutes.

I agree with the recommendation to take a taxi, if there is a lot of luggage to schlep. If there is no luggage, then walking is the best bet.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I walk from Shimbashi to Shiodome almost every day, and I've never had to climb stairs to cross a street.

Taking the Yurikamome from Shimbashi to Shiodome is just silly. The time spent getting to and from the Yurikamome platforms and waiting for the train would eat up any time saved by taking the train a distance that can be walked in 5-10 minutes.

I agree with the recommendation to take a taxi, if there is a lot of luggage to schlep. If there is no luggage, then walking is the best bet.
It is very possible to have to do this if you get lost I went out the wrong exit at the Shimbashi Station today, and had a very nice tour of Ginza this evening in the rain while trying to get back to the Conrad. If I'm reading the map correctly, there are roadworks that you need to take the overpass on the road directly to the east of the hotel.

Save yourself some headaches and take a taxi or use a luggage service and the train, expecially if you need a map to get around Tokyo. I would not want to be shleping bags through the train stations or on the short walk between Shimbashi Station and the Conrad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.