Search

Fitness/Sports Day (Mon. 10/9)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Question Fitness/Sports Day (Mon. 10/9)

Hello there!

I'll be in Tokyo for my first trip to Japan from 10/6-10/10 and it seems as though there is a national holiday on the second Monday of every October that roughly translates to Sports Day. And so I am curious to know what to expect? Which kinds of businesses will be closed?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Its not one of the major holidays, expect government, public sector services and banks to be closed. Trains will continue to operate on time, most department stores, shopping, resturants etc will continue to be open.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by dlombard
Hello there!

I'll be in Tokyo for my first trip to Japan from 10/6-10/10 and it seems as though there is a national holiday on the second Monday of every October that roughly translates to Sports Day. And so I am curious to know what to expect? Which kinds of businesses will be closed?

Thanks!
Just be careful, on that day if you're anywhere downtown it's possible you'll run into roving bands of gym instructors. If you encounter them be aware it's compulsory to do 10 push-ups, 20 sit-ups and half a dozen star jumps. Practicing your golf swing on the platform with your umbrella is also particularly encouraged. Just a heads up.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Wink

Heheheh, very funny.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:38 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Museums that are usually closed on Mondays are open on holiday Mondays -- but they close the next day (Tuesday) instead. So you might actually benefit since all the museums will be open on your last full day in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.