Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2006, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bidhere23
The first two times I lived in Japan they required fingerprints to be taken and then they did away with the law after public backlash--mostly from long-time Chinese and Korean residents in Japan who aren't allowed to become Japanese nationals. I wouldn't be surprised if after a while they decide to back of this new legislation.
Ethnic Koreans were left out of regulations as they were the ones that fought to the Supreme court to have the prints taken off the gaijin cards.The government probably figures that the rest of the gaijin population will put up with it!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
One more data point in this on-going discussion. You have to skip down past the roach article.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0060530kj.html

JR
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
One more data point in this on-going discussion. You have to skip down past the roach article.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0060530kj.html

JR
Thanks.....fitting that the letter came after one about roaches.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Thanks.....fitting that the letter came after one about roaches.
Yeah. That occurred to me, too. I was especially taken with the real estate guy's statement that roaches in rental units are not the concern of the landlord.

JR
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:01 am
Suspended

is Japan really going to start scanning fingerprint/photo of foreign visitors in Nov?

is Japan really going to start scanning fingerprint/photo of foreign visitors in Nov?(in less than 2 months)

if so, will US, French, and Swedish visitors be exempted?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by pancakes
is Japan really going to start scanning fingerprint/photo of foreign visitors in Nov?(in less than 2 months)

Yes they will be fingerprinting everything that moves, and no one (even most resident foreigners) will be exempt!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Why these particular nationalities? Does Japanese immigration have a fondness for bourbon, champagne and aquavit?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcg1000
Why these particular nationalities? Does Japanese immigration have a fondness for bourbon, champagne and aquavit?
I don't think so....

but I asked because I'm a citizen of all three countries. (holding all three passports)
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Yes they will be fingerprinting everything that moves, and no one (even most resident foreigners) will be exempt!
does it also apply to holders of diplomatic passports entering Japan? (assuming Japan is where he/she has been posted)

Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
does it also apply to holders of diplomatic passports entering Japan? (assuming Japan is where he/she has been posted)

Exemptions will be in place for
(1) Persons under 16 years old
(2) Some special status foreign residents
(3) People with diplomatic status in Japan or on official govt. business.
http://nettv.gov-online.go.jp/prg/prg1203.html

I wish that (3) didn't get an exemption. Our embassies might have more of an incentive to protest on our behalf if they actually had to go through the same bollix.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: WWMFD
Japan has never met a level of bureaucratic idiocy that it didn't embrace with relish.

Last edited by kcvt750; Sep 27, 2007 at 3:23 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
wrong post..
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold

Why? Do you have one of those passports as well?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:14 pm

Seems like an off requirement. I thought Japan was exempt for the US-Visit finger prints? If they are now, I would guess we'd change that just for them.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
No they aren't all non nationals into the US are fingerprinted, even Visa-Wavier countries (originally it wasn't but they changed it a while back). I don't think US Permanent Residences are fingerprinted or photographed, but their fingerprint etc information is already on the actual "green card".

For Japan, I have no opinion on short term visitors being photographed or fingerprinted, but having long term residences (minus the special categories of Koreans) going through the process each time they return is out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.