Reload this Page >

Golden Week is Apr 29 to May 5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden Week is Apr 29 to May 5?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:32 am

I just found out that my employer is giving us off the three holidays during Golden Week next year. It seems too good an opportunity to pass up. First thought was Hokkaido. Weather seems a little cool but is it a viable option for Golden Week? If we got a hotel in Otaru as a base could we "reasonably" drive around the island during the week or would we need to be on the move each day? Will the "100km" traffic jams also strike Hokkaido?

Would it be better to just leave Japan altogether? We are contemplating Hong Kong or maybe Xian for the week; are these better choices? We will be in Beijing and Shanghai later in the year so would prefer not to go to either of them.

All help is appreciated.

Marc
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Marq
First thought was Hokkaido. Weather seems a little cool but is it a viable option for Golden Week?
It's viable if you like colder climates. Some parts of the island will be full of blossom and looking absolutely stunning. The Northern extremities of the island (Shiretoko etc.) will be barely thawing out. Wrap up warm.

If we got a hotel in Otaru as a base could we "reasonably" drive around the island during the week or would we need to be on the move each day?
There are Hokkaido lurkers on this board - so I leave this to them. My "gut" tells me that a couple of days in one location, then moving to the next onsen is a good bet.

Will the "100km" traffic jams also strike Hokkaido?
No. IME the roads of Hokkaido are relatively sane even at peak holiday times. (Sapporo and Hakodate might be a different story - I don't know them - but I hear that they have nice grid layouts). But you will bump into huge crowds of Japanese people at Haneda airport. (Or rather they will bump into you ... and never apologize).

Would it be better to just leave Japan altogether?
It's certainly cheaper to travel just about anywhere other than Japan. Better? Depends what you're in the mood for, I guess.

FWIW - There's another thread on the Japan forum dedicated to the "holiday that never is" - If you look it up, you can see what we all got up to last year. I posted an account of my short trip to the Kii peninsula, which was lovely...
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:49 am

Deleted - dup.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
There are real Hokkaido experts on this board so just a few observations from my exchange student time in Sapporo and a few other fleeting visits.

It can snow in the beginning of May and for cherry blossoms you could have to wait until mid of the month.

As for driving, Hokkaido is about the only part of Japan where I would recommend that, many surprisingly good family type restaurants are also of the drive-in type so you don´t have to worry about parking. If you avoid lake Toya you should also do ok regarding holiday crowds.

Also, don´t fly north, but take the night train from Tokyo to Hakodate or Sapporo for the experience. Otaru is convenient only for a part of Hokkaido, otherwise you´d be better off to stay a night in Hakodate, another in Sapporo and, if possible, arrange a hiking/climbing tour and have a real outdoor experience sleeping in a mountain hut. For the latter I would recommend joining a Japanese group or hiring a local guide so that the cooking part would also be taken care of.

Last edited by mosburger; Dec 5, 2006 at 12:47 am Reason: spx2
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found out that my employer is giving us off the three holidays during Golden Week next year. It seems too good an opportunity to pass up. First thought was Hokkaido. Weather seems a little cool but is it a viable option for Golden Week? If we got a hotel in Otaru as a base could we "reasonably" drive around the island during the week or would we need to be on the move each day? Will the "100km" traffic jams also strike Hokkaido?

Would it be better to just leave Japan altogether? We are contemplating Hong Kong or maybe Xian for the week; are these better choices? We will be in Beijing and Shanghai later in the year so would prefer not to go to either of them.

All help is appreciated.

Marc
Hey Buddy,
With the dosh you make, shouldn't you be able to get out of the country with relative ease?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by jib71
It's certainly cheaper to travel just about anywhere other than Japan.
Not if you're already in Japan to start with -- all international flights from Japan around GW are overpriced and packed. (I remember once being quoted over 10 man for a round-trip to Bangkok on Biman Bangladesh!)
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Not if you're already in Japan to start with -- all international flights from Japan around GW are overpriced and packed. (I remember once being quoted over 10 man for a round-trip to Bangkok on Biman Bangladesh!)
My assumption was that the OP's trip will be for a full week. In that case, one week of ryokan rip-off will cancel out what you save by avoiding the international flight rip-off.

One way or another, you're going to get ripped off.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
When you budget 75 MAN a month rent , I don't think the 10 MAN for a flight ticket will make a big difference !
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
When you budget 75 MAN a month rent , I don't think the 10 MAN for a flight ticket will make a big difference !
I'm sure the 75 man is someone else's money.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: WWMFD
I've found the quiet week in Tokyo to be quite enjoyable. Go do things without the crowds (unless you're going to D'land).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I'm sure the 75 man is someone else's money.
Correct!

Additionally, I was hoping to use the "Diamond force" to get the Hilton in Otaru for six nights. If that didn't work, it would make more sense to leave the country.

Thanks for all the help,

Marc
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:11 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
golden week 07

when is the golden week 07?

i want to book flights before that, as i am alway travelling 2 weeks before golden week, that time the prices are much cheaper.

dp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.