Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must DOs and BUYs in Japan/Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 4:24 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by chamade
The Tokyo International Forum is also a very interesting architectural statement, and a five minute walk from the legendary, 120 year old Imperial Hotel.
Well, since you're talking about architecture, I think it's important to point out that there's nothing of the 120 year old Imperial left there today. (Nor was there in the 1920s when it had already been torn down and rebuilt ... and it's been torn down and rebuilt once again since then).
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
Well, since you're talking about architecture, I think it's important to point out that there's nothing of the 120 year old Imperial left there today. (Nor was there in the 1920s when it had already been torn down and rebuilt ... and it's been torn down and rebuilt once again since then).
Not quite. The Old Imperial Bar in the Mezzanine level is the real deal, including the bartenders, some of which probably worked in the original building. Well worth a stop for that. Opens early, so nothing like a good old-fashioned bender in the middle of the day.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Not quite. The Old Imperial Bar in the Mezzanine level is the real deal, including the bartenders, some of which probably worked in the original building. Well worth a stop for that. Opens early, so nothing like a good old-fashioned bender in the middle of the day.
The Old Imperial Bar was FLW's design. No?

I'm talking about the original 1890s hotel, of which not a trace remains. (AFAIK)
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
The Old Imperial Bar was FLW's design. No?

I'm talking about the original 1890s hotel, of which not a trace remains. (AFAIK)
Right. And you are right, there is no trace of the 1890's hotel, but it wasn't memorable at all, just like the current incarnation. Full circle.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Right. And you are right, there is no trace of the 1890's hotel, but it wasn't memorable at all, just like the current incarnation. Full circle.
Well. We seem to be at loggerheads today. I think it was a much more memorable building than the carbuncle we have today. Perhaps not as earth-shattering as FLW's mayan-revival, but a very classy piece of Meiji "Western-style" grand architecture. Indeed, before I went looking for this photo I could clearly remember that it looked like a grand hotel in one of the posh old-school resorts of Northern France (Dinard, Deauville etc.) ... and it does ... kinda:

http://datefile.iza.ne.jp/images/use...0416/61791.jpg

I have read that it made a big impression on people at the time - although not as big as the Rokumeikan, which was the first big Western building in the neighbourhood. IIRC.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:24 am

I heard the first Imperial burned down in the 1910s or so during a visit by the Prince of Wales.

There is a Frank Lloyd Wright Suite in The Imperial - at the pocket money tab of US$4,000 or so a night (!) - and in addition to the Old Bar, there are Wright designs in the Peacock Ballroom and foyer, some in the main lobby and some in other ballrooms. In any event, the VIPs still seem to stay there rather than elsewhere in Tokyo ーPrince Charles and Camilla and the King and Queen of Spain last year, for starters, but you never see anyone!

I think the Hotel Okura will become a 'classic' if they can keep from renovating it for another 50 years. It is already like a time machine back to the late 50s.
It's getting a bit shabby, but in Tokyo, I would certainly recommend the older Japanese hotels (excuding probably the sorry New Otani with its 3,000 rooms) rather than the cookie cutter international chains. The difference is the charm factor in the way local hospitality is expressed in Japan.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:04 am

50 Reasons Why Tokyo Is Number 1

http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/none/worl...yo-no-1-903662
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:05 am

I'm planning to visit Tokyo with my wife for 6 days.
We got a couple of suggestions :
- Asakusa
- Universal Studio Osaka
- Disneyland
- Disneysea
- Gotemba
- Mt. Fuji
- Ueno
Is it possible to go through all those places in 6 days ? I've already bought JR Rail pass
What's the weather in December in Tokyo ? Is it ok to visit Disneysea... since it's already cold ... Since I come from Indonesia which mainly are dry & wet season only.
Any suggestions ?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:07 am

Ohh and one more thing ... I'll be staying at JGH Tokyo ... Has anyone ever stayed there before ?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA, NW
You can usually see all you need to see of Mount Fuji from the top of any tall building in Tokyo in December. No need to go there, and it's closed for climbing and hiking at that time of the year.

Osaka is three hours away by Shinkansen. If you MUST see Universal Studios, make it an overnight trip. Personally, I wouldn't go all the way to Japan just to see theme parks, but there seem to be an awful lot of people who do.

Buy a guidebook. There's enough in Tokyo to keep anyone busy for six days.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:06 pm

Looking for Harley Davidson store

I'm visiting Kuki right now. Does anyone know if there is a Harley Davidson store anywhere around here. I thought Tokyo might have one. Searched but didn't find anything. Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: Dirt
kuki as in Saitama Prefecture Kuki City? If so, the nearest one is in Saitama City. It is due east of Oomiya station.

Japanese site for the store: http://www.harley-davidson.co.jp/dl/....php?id=110701
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:35 am

Harley Davidson Store

Thanks a lot. I will have one of the guys with me get me there.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread. I'm so excited! As my first ever trip to Tokyo is next month.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:55 pm

Link Update

Just FYI, as an update to kcvt750's post, the link to the Japan FAQ is now

http://www.thejapanfaq.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.