Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to TCAT in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
What happened to TCAT in Tokyo

I've been using TCAT recently for all my trips from Tokyo, transferring to the bus for Narita there. I know that many airlines used to operate check-in facilities there, but that all the check-in counters have been shut down in the last few years. Can anyone tell me why all the check-in counters have closed?? (It figures this would happen just when I start using TCAT...)
Old Feb 2, 2004, 10:39 am

Post 9/11 security issues, I believe.

Being able to finalize all check-in and immigration procedures at TCAT was most convenient indeed
Old Feb 2, 2004, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason I read was that not many people were doing it so, in the absence of sufficient demand, it wasn't economic. There apparently is still bus service to/from TCAT, but you now have to do all formalities at NRT.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:08 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I thought that many of the facilities at TCAT were closed down just due to consolidation. Not just the check-in counters, but the immigration facilities, which I miss just as much. You could get a re-entry visa there before your flight. Now we have to go to the new consolidated immigration facilities out towards Shinagawa. I was there last summer for a re-entry visa. Arrived in the morning to find myself number 560th in line. Waited for 8 hours until my number was called.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
A little off topic, but I agree that the location for the new immigration office is absolutely horrible. I don't know if someone in the Japanese government hates foreigners and decided to move the office just to torture us or if there is some legitimate reason for the move. A woman in my office told me that they moved the immigration office because immigration facilities are "supposed to be near the ocean," which the old office (in Otemachi) was not. That reason makes no sense to me, but then many things about the Japanese government make no sense to me.

Back to the topic (TCAT), it seems hard to believe there was little demand for the check in services. I would check in there every time if I could. It pains me to walk by all those closed JAL counters, thinking "if only I could check in here..." (I'm mainly a JAL flyer)
Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The concept was pretty good, the problem was with the location of TCAT. If it had been sitting next to Tokyo station, for example, it would have been a huge success, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.