Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joejones
Options for transferring between Tokyo's two airports :

Taxi:
Beween NRT and Tokyo City including HND, fixed fare is approved by government. In most of the cases, fixed fares are cheaper than meter fares. Advance booking required. Tolls are not included.
Limousine Bus (link):
Rail (link):
Print Wikipost

Transport between Narita and Haneda airports, Japan [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2002, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Transport between Narita and Haneda airports, Japan [merged]

Has anyone transferred planes going from Nurita Airport to Haneda and if so what is available and what is the cost. Travel agencies don't tell you about having to transfer from the different airports when you ask for travel from the U.S. to Okinawa. Is there any other routes to Okinawa. We want to visit grandchilren there in the Military. Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2002, 8:37 pm

There are shuttle bus services between Narita and Haneda. This is the timetable:

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

You go through the passport control and then downstairs to the customs. Go through it and you will see on the same floor the counter where you can pay for the bus. (This procedure is the same at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.)

If you can route via Kansai airport in Osaka, you can transfer at the airport to a domestic flight to Okinawa. I think Taipei is also another good city for an easier transfer to Okinawa.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm Reason: update URL
Old Nov 21, 2002, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Train is not as good an option as the bus in this case, unless you are at least moderately familiar with the Tokyo rail system. The best routes I can think of require two transfers.

Narita-Tokyo-Shinagawa-Haneda (change from JR to Keikyu line) OR
Narita-Tokyo-Hammatsucho-Haneda (last leg on monorail, however)

Probably better to fly to Kansai if possible, as previously suggested, although there are fewer options to Kansai from the U.S. than Tokyo (NRT).
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:13 pm

If you want to take a train, Keisei might be better as you only need to change trains once on the way to Haneda and it's the same platform. Changing trains at stations like Tokyo and Hamamatsucho is a lot more complicated.

If I have some baggage, I would not take trains, though.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:27 pm

Narita - Haneda transit time?

Hope some more experienced travelers to Japan can answer this one:

Is three hours enough time to allow for deplaning at Narita and boarding a domestic flight at Haneda? I realize there is a 75 minute bus ride from Narita to Haneda involved - is it really 75 minutes, or sometimes much longer?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Not ideal - I'd allow an hour more. Possible if your inward flight is on time, you can exit NRT fast (not a guarantee) and traffic through Tokyo isn't particularly horrendous (it can get a lot longer than 75 minutes).
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:15 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I agree. Not a good idea. My copy of "Narita Airport Access Guide" puts the Limosine bus travel time between Narita and Haneda at "90~100" minutes with 20~45 minute intervals between buses. It also states that the highways used "are usually jammed at morning and evening rush hours, at the end of the month, and on days before holidays."

I sometimes drive these same highways (Wangan/Higashi Kanto Expressway), and have on occasion been caught in some pretty big traffic jams.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:45 am

Taking the train is slower, usually requires changes and is (slightly) more expensive -- but it's pretty much guaranteed to get you there in ~100 minutes. There are some direct NRT-HND services on Keisei now though; problem is, the middle of the trip runs through Toei Asakusa line subway tracks, meaning the train stops at every single station... some options:

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ito-nori/spot/nrt_hnd.html

Once you do get to HND you don't need much time at all, since IIRC for domestic Japan flights check-in closes only 15 minutes before the flight. So I'd say 3 hours is in fact enough except for the random factor of NRT immigration, the speed of which varies wildly depending on the phase of the moon.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:03 am

You guys are terrific. I don't know what I'd do without you!

Okay, so possible option number two: I book a later flight out of Haneda giving us 6 1/2 hours to make the connection. Should be enough, right?

What if, by some miracle, we actually make it to Haneda in time to make the earlier flight. Do you think JAL or ANA would be willing to change our tickets at the last minute so we oculd take the earlier flight - assuming space is available?

I haven't flown these airlines before so I don't know how flexible they are. I've encountered some US airlines that will accomodate last minute changes like this, and others that won't, so would like some general guidance.

Thanks for all your advice. It is truly wonderful.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:22 am

If it were me, and assuming that both your flight to Japan and your connecting flight within Japan are on the same ticket, I would book the earlier flight (3-hr connection), as long as it's a legal connection time.

If you get to Haneda in a reasonable amount of time, you'll be all set and will get where you're going without unnecessary delay. If you run into hiccups (get deleyed in immigration lines or traffic) and don't get to HND in time for the connecting flight, the airline will accommodate you on the next available flight. On the other hand, if you book the 6+ hour connection, the airline would have no obligation to let you on the earlier flight.

(If you book this as 2 separate tickets, though, I'd go for the longer connection.)
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Where are you flying from Haneda? 6+ hours connection? You might as well take the train for most destinations on Honshu, as you may be already at your destination before your plane leaves Haneda. Just a thought.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:39 am

If flying into KIX is an option with your transpac carrier, you would have a much easier same-building transfer, with nearly as frequent flights to all of Japan.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by monahos:
If flying into KIX is an option with your transpac carrier, you would have a much easier same-building transfer, with nearly as frequent flights to all of Japan.</font>
Not necessarily -- most flights from "Osaka" leave from Itami (ITM), which is a two-hour-minimum slog away from KIX. There aren't all that many domestic KIX flights, just like there aren't that many domestic NRT services either.

And I agree with rkkwon: in general, if you have to fly to NRT or KIX, the fastest way to get to somewhere else in Honshu is to take the bullet train. If you're trying to get to a more remote place like Hokkaido or Okinawa, look into flying straight to your destination via ICN (Incheon @ Seoul, Korea). KE, OZ, JL, NH fly to all major cities in Japan from ICN, and in my book a relaxing 3-hour wait at ICN's SQ *A lounge beats a hassled 3-hour commute across Tokyo in rush hour any day!
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:33 am

I think NRT-HND direct train connections are no longer there on Keisei. They reworked the timetable and you need now to change trains at Aoto station on the way (same platform transfer,not that difficult unless you know where the station is!).

I think KIX still has more domestic connections than NRT.

Agree with other posters. Avoid NRT. It is such an inconvenient airport.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:35 am

About taking an earlier flight, it all depends on what type of ticket you are holding. Some tickets on JL and NH don't let you change at all. Ask the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.