Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Shinjuku Tokyo - any good? And how to get there from NRT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2024, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Kimpton Shinjuku Tokyo - any good? And how to get there from NRT

I'll be spending 3 nights in Tokyo from 5/4 to 5/7. I wanted to use points so I tapped into my IHG account. Damn, why is Tokyo suddenly so expensive again? Both this hotel and the IC Strings in Shinagawa are running around USD $400/nt to $450/nt for my dates. Thought Cherry Blossoms were over by then in Tokyo.

Anyway, I ended up having to spend 203K total for a 3 night stay at the Kimpton Shinjuku. Average cost was 67,666/nt which seems rather steep. I don't actually need anything fancy. Just something clean, quiet, comfortable, and convenient. Is this property really worth that amount of points? I have plenty of time to cancel. Wondering if I should pay out of pocket. Happy to be staying in Shinjuku though--seems like a nice centrally located place to be.

Also, how do I get to the Kimpton Shinjuku from NRT airport?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Suggest you review the master thread in the IHG Forum for this property: Kimpton Shinjuku Tokyo [Master Thread]

Transportation options include taxi/car service from NRT, Airport Limousine Bus to the Shinjuku Washington Hotel and walk about five minutes to the Kimpton or Narita Express train to Shinagawa or Shinjuku and then taxi to hotel or walk from Shinjuku to hotel.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 7, 2024 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I'll be spending 3 nights in Tokyo from 5/4 to 5/7. I wanted to use points so I tapped into my IHG account. Damn, why is Tokyo suddenly so expensive again? Both this hotel and the IC Strings in Shinagawa are running around USD $400/nt to $450/nt for my dates. Thought Cherry Blossoms were over by then in Tokyo.
Yes, hotels is Tokyo, especially western type hotels (European and the U.S. type hotels) are damn expensive. You are also be in Tokyo during the Golden week of Japan, the major vacation holiday week. None of your situation is helping to make your stay any cheaper.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thought Cherry Blossoms were over by then in Tokyo.
Perhaps the premise is flawed that cherry blossoms are what drives hotel prices. I know that this flies in the face of orthodox wisdom, but perhaps it's time we were open to new theories, however crazy they might seem.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'm working on a hybrid cherry blossom and peach blossom model of the Japanese hospitality industry, but it still breaks down in the autumn ... must be some foliage factors that I'm not accounting for.
lobsterdog, LapLap and Calcifer like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 4:13 am

Tokyo hotels have been expensive since Japan reopened and will be for a good while to come. The closure of the country generated significant demand and the weak yen has only exacerbated that. Historical drivers aren’t really making that much of a blip in the current climate tbh. It’s the difference between there being a ton of demand and a shitton of demand. Being open to Japanese hotels can save you some $$ vs. western brands.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by pesos
Tokyo hotels have been expensive since Japan reopened and will be for a good while to come. The closure of the country generated significant demand and the weak yen has only exacerbated that. Historical drivers aren’t really making that much of a blip in the current climate tbh. It’s the difference between there being a ton of demand and a shitton of demand. Being open to Japanese hotels can save you some $$ vs. western brands.
+1 - plus the OP is looking for hotels at the end of Golden Week...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.