Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

What area to stay first five days in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

My wife, 9 month old toddler/infant and I are going to do three weeks in Japan, starting with a week on Tokyo. We end the trip with two nights at the Conrad, but for the first five nights, I'm looking for the best neighborhood to stay in to deploy out of that's already a great place to explore on foot and has access to easy transit. We'll likely be pushing a stroller.

We're looking at Shinjuku (Kimpton looks good, maybe Hilton) and Shibuya. Another option is Roppongi (Prince Park Tower).

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
It really depends on what you'd like to do/see while you're in Tokyo. All three areas have their merits, as do others. I am not a big fan of Roppongi, personally.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:09 pm

Are you using points? Does that matter? I'd look at Japanese chains personally.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:30 pm

Would recommend checking the subway station map for elevator(or escalator access). At each station, you'll find pictogram of the elevator/escalator

https://miro.medium.com/v2/resize:fi...QWUrsGG7g.jpeg

Eg shiodome - https://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/eng.../shiodome.html.

Shinjuku or Shibuya would be nice, or asakusa. Would recommend non Western chain. Dormy inn is always my goto japanese chain (onsen in many locations), super hotel is another alternative with onsen in many locations(not all)

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 22, 2024 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Topcare
Are you using points? Does that matter? I'd look at Japanese chains personally.
For these five days, I'm up for converting American Airlines points, Capital One Points, or cash. So I'm open to anything.

What do you recommend? My #1 goal is having nice places for the mom and baby to walk out to and mom having very little to complain about accomodations wise.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:55 am

Depending on what age baby will be when you go, perhaps look for a hotel with a nice park nearby? Tokyo accommodation with Toddlers

I'd look at room size when comparing various options, too. While you could get a good cash deal on 18-22 sq meter JP business hotel room for all three of you, it might be a bit snug for baby gear, longer trip amounts of luggage, and a crib if you use one. If you are going in hot season and aren't from a similar climate, then I'd probably look for a hotel closest to what your spouse likes to do in (her former) spare time to reduce time out in the heat. There's some decently well regarded western hotels which are kind further walking distance from a well connected subway station (with escalator or elevator) or surrounded by offices rather than cute cafes. Or uphill when returning from a JR station (though offering to push the stroller instead of spouse could work around that) or accessibility inconvenience due to stair only pedestrian overpasses. Google Maps street view would give you a decent idea.

LapLap also has good posts about what is easier in Japan with kids, including looking for eateries with tatami mats and what's more accessible with strollers https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35010311-post9.html
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I like Shinjuku ( have stayed at the Hilton several times ) .There are two passage ways to Shinjuku JR station and there is a nice small park close by ( Shinjuku central park) beside the tokyo metropolitan government building ( tourist information office and free observation decks)
The Conrad is very good and will be a nice way to end your trip.

Regards

TBS
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The baby is going to be 9 months and we'll be there this Thursday.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by OtherGuy
Thanks. The baby is going to be 9 months and we'll be there this Thursday.
We live near Ginza in Hatcobori -- in general it is flatter on the east side of the city (where many of the tourist sights can be found like the Skytree and Imperial Palace) -- while in the west it is generally hillier -- like Roppongi Hills. The metro system in Tokyo is amazing and you can get anywhere with kids with little trouble -- it's all about time -- and with a little one I would recommend staying closer to things you want to do... Travelling the metro with a 9 month old at 5pm is not something I would do lol....
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Within Tokyo itself, best facilities I am aware of for a visiting 9 month old is the 0 to 2 section of the Tokyo Toy “Museum”
https://art-play.or.jp/ttm/en/
Not open on Thursdays.

Just outside Tokyo is the Tove Jansson Akebono Children’s Forest Park
https://www.city.hanno.lg.jp/section...kebono_en.html

An ideal place to picnic under the Sakura where a 9 month old (particularly one who is crawling and lifting themselves onto their feet) can be completely fulfilled and rewarded.

Tokyo is peppered with unexpected baby play areas, as parents it is vital that you look out for and recognise their boundaries so that nobody crosses them with their shoes still on. The boundaries can be as subtle as a change of colour or texture.
Prams/buggies also cannot cross; dirty wheels.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
HI,

When I was in Tokyo for 2 nights in January ( after 4 days in Hiroshima and before flying home). I went to the Sunshine 60 observation deck at Ikebukuro . There were lots of parents with young infants on the fake grass/shaped like rolling hills along part of the observatory.
I managed to see Mt Fuji rising above a thin layer of smog as well as the Tokyo Skytree.

Some details and nice photos here

Getting to “TENBOU Park” with kids! | Enjoy the observatory | SUNSHINE 60 OBSERVATORY TENBOU-PARK (sunshinecity.jp)

The cafe was reasonably priced ( had a coffee and cake)
And a couple of personal photos

Sunshine 60 sitting circle with fake grass on the floor looking towards Tokyo Skytree

Place to sit. lots of parents and infants were sitting on the grassy floor

View of Shinjuku ( NTT docomo tower ) to the left and Mt Fuji rising above the smog layer to the right with some clouds on top ( in reality the top of MT fuji was clearer than in the photo as it was above the brown smog)

Christmas tree still up on 18th Jan

Gallery of photos enroute to the elevator lobby to take me back down to the exit ( loved the Red moon ( lunar eclipse) and the sun behind Tokyo Skytree and Mt Fuji)

Regards

TBS
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 24, 2024 at 4:44 am
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:54 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The Hilton is in a office only part of the city, where there is nothing to do or eat close by. The subway station is quite far, even if you have an entrance nearby it requires walking quite a bit in the tunnels.
I would look at a japanese chain in an area like Asakusa or Kanda, they will have plenty of food options and very easy access to pretty much everything. Roppongi, Shibuya and Shinjuku (leisure side) are very noisy and crowded, too much with a toddler. Chain wise I like Dormy Inn which have free ramen, ice cream and onsen.
OtherGuy likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

We actually like the hustle and bustle and are regulars in Manhattan. I just don't want my wife to walk out the door of the hotel and not be right in the midst of cool stuff and close to a train station. Looking at Ginzi as well but everything looks booked for our days (March 28 through April 2).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:20 pm

Yah. You kind of left it so late [very] that unless you are prepared to pay, it's going to be difficult. What's the max end of your budget per night? Japan's hotels start cheap and go up and never or rarely go down closer to the day.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OtherGuy
We actually like the hustle and bustle and are regulars in Manhattan. I just don't want my wife to walk out the door of the hotel and not be right in the midst of cool stuff and close to a train station. Looking at Ginzi as well but everything looks booked for our days (March 28 through April 2).
All the kids in Japan are off school this week, school year begins in April. This is not a normal time to find a hotel room, nor to find one last minute.

I just scrolled through what’s available and it is extremely uninspiring.

Before it all starts going into silly money amounts (50,000yen a night plus), out of the few places that seemed to satisfy the remit you had is Hotel Yaenomidori in Ginza.
It’s a brisk 15 min walk from Tokyo Station along a simple, straight route and there are two closer stations, Hatchobori and Takarachō, with Nihonbashi nearby.

Between Higashi-Ginza station and Shinbashi is the Meitetsu Musse Hotel. That’s near the edge but still within “smart” Ginza. it’s convenient for transport and evening life is interesting. Just remembered - this hotel has a very popular restaurant which books up with non-guest reservations for brunch and lunch.

Close to Higashi-Shinjuku station and a 12-15minute walk to Shinjuku Station and a few of the area’s other Metro/rail lines is the Shinjuku Granbell Hotel.

If you’re prepared to be flexible with regards to location you can look at Mitsui Garden, Villa Fontaine, Hotel Gracery and the afore mentioned Dormy Inn properties .

I do hope you guys are all fine sharing the same bed.

Last edited by LapLap; Mar 24, 2024 at 11:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.