Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sparkling Sake ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Question Sparkling Sake ...

A recently published book about Champagne and other global sparkling wines had a tiny section about sparkling Sake. Any locals know about this new phenominum? Going to Tokyo in 2 weeks and thought I would check it out.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
A recently published book about Champagne and other global sparkling wines had a tiny section about sparkling Sake. Any locals know about this new phenominum? Going to Tokyo in 2 weeks and thought I would check it out.
I first had it at a get together at Bar Kan-tsuma BAR 缶つまBAR on the river bank next to Nihonbashi back in 2008. I hadn’t had it before and it was unchallenging and easy to drink, light and creamy, floral and citrusy. It was also the first time I’d had “puttina” プッチーナ a very pretty refreshing vegetable that looks like it is covered in iced dew, so I associate the two.

Most of us at the get together were female, make of that what you will…
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Most of us at the get together were female, make of that what you will…
The book mentioned that Japanese sake brewers developed sparkling sake for the purpose of enticing more women to drink sake.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The book mentioned that Japanese sake brewers developed sparkling sake for the purpose of enticing more women to drink sake.
I’m expecting this thread’s lack of participatory vigour will also play testament to that fact.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:39 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Harumph.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was trying to figure out which sparkling sake I was drinking that glorious evening, it was in a striking blue bottle (this was well before Mio was introduced) but that is no longer unusual. As I looked I came across this helpful introduction to sparkling sake featuring 20 kinds. Just use your preferred translation tools.

https://azumarikishi.co.jp/media/sparkling

Another collection of introductions (10) here:

https://sakenoshizuku.com/sparkling-sake

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 7, 2024 at 1:25 am
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Many of the sparkling sakes available in the US (think Mio as an example) can be very much on the sweet side.
There are a number that are not, however.

My favorite sparkling is from Masumi in the Nagano region. The usual version you will find in the US is the Grand Prix version (with a price to match) but there is a "lesser" version that tastes just as good if you search for it.
The immediate visual difference you will see is that the Grand Prix version has a champagne style cork and cage while the other version has a metal bottle cap.

Fukucho also make a sparkling Junmai named Seaside which can also be very good and not so much on the sweet side. That can be found a little more readily in the states

Hope this helps
Old Feb 6, 2024, 6:37 pm

I tried sparkling sake a couple of nights ago, not sure what brand but also a blue bottle.
It was much too sweet and floral for me, I can say I've tried it now but probably won't again.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Here are the 2 suggestions from the book: Hakkaisan and Fukucho There was a mention of fruit and sweetness in some of these sparkling sakes. Not sure if these 2 have that or not. The photos show a champagne style bottle and cork.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
They have been around for a while, but are getting better. I went to a Hyogo sake event last year and there was a dry one that was excellent. I remember a blue bottle, but that seems to be a common color for sparkling sake.

On an aside, Japanese cider is coming into its own. Good stuff out there (can be pricey though).
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.