Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOJ to start joint immigration/custom kiosk test at HND T2

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

MOJ to start joint immigration/custom kiosk test at HND T2

As reported by Impress Watch (also from official MOJ press release), MOJ will be experimenting with joint immigration/custom kiosks at Narita Terminal 2 between 3pm and 9pm starting from Jan 31 onwards.

With the new kiosks, both Japaneese nationals and foreign visitors will be able to provide both immigration form and custom form via the QR codes with the forms filled out ahead of time at the same kiosk plus having photo taken. For foreign visitors, you will provide the fingerprints at the same kiosk.

For Japanese nationals, the new kiosk replaces the existing automatic immigration gates, and just go through the custom gates at the end. For foreign visitors, instead of providing the fingerprints and having photo taken at the immigration booth, now just the passport? at the immigration booth then the automatic custom gates at the end.

If this experiment is successful, it's gonna be much smoother and hopefully take less time for foreign visitors!

Although this begs the question, will TTP holders have the same experience as the Japanese nationals?
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by LCUF; Jan 24, 2024 at 9:40 pm Reason: Added photo to help explain the new process/flow
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
TTP is currently getting the same treatment as resident foreigners with an auto gate registration for immigration. I don't think that will change. So it will be slower processing than the regular lines, but generally less wait time before immigration.
seigex likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
It is actually going to be at Haneda Airport Terminal 2. I hope they roll this out fast.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I didn't even know the international wing of HND T2 reopened.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by jamar
I didn't even know the international wing of HND T2 reopened.
(Unfortunately for me,) it was definitely open on Jan 13th when I passed through Japan.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:31 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
It is actually going to be at Haneda Airport Terminal 2.
I have reported the incorrect thread title to the forum moderator.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:22 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Title fixed, thanks!

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta
Oh! Will be flying Delta to US next week and returning a week later. Just noticed that departure is scheduled for T3, but return will be T2. We're hoping to get out of immigration quickly so as to continue to Osaka by domestic or shinkansen. Have there been some delays at T2 for international arrivals recently?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
Oh! Will be flying Delta to US next week and returning a week later. Just noticed that departure is scheduled for T3, but return will be T2. We're hoping to get out of immigration quickly so as to continue to Osaka by domestic or shinkansen. Have there been some delays at T2 for international arrivals recently?
I think that is a mistake by Delta. Only ANA operates international flights in and out of T2.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I think that is a mistake by Delta. Only ANA operates international flights in and out of T2.
Argh! I made a stupid mistake. Departure is from T2 Honolulu, arrival T3 HND. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Note - After about 5pm, ANA international arrivals go through T3.
I guess the same maybe true for early morning arrivals too.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Oops I was not sure why I read Narita when it was Haneda. Hopefully the trial goes well and they expand to T3 and Narita sooner than later.

Last edited by LCUF; Feb 1, 2024 at 10:49 pm
Old Feb 6, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I'll be flying in to HND T2 on Saturday morning (NH105), will be using TTP but will update the thread if it's in use for the normal immigration line.
LCUF likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:17 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
TTP is currently getting the same treatment as resident foreigners with an auto gate registration for immigration.
As a resident foreigner, I am mainly wondering whether they will get rid of the stupid paper ED cards we still have to fill out each time we travel.

Also it will be aggravating, but par for the course, if they release yet another app for this new system. I just had to fill out a paper customs card last week after inadvertently pre-registering through the Japan Customs app, which is no longer accepted (of course they haven't pushed any kind of warning about this through the app).
jib71, CPH-Flyer and Kannai like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
As a resident foreigner, I am mainly wondering whether they will get rid of the stupid paper ED cards we still have to fill out each time we travel.

Also it will be aggravating, but par for the course, if they release yet another app for this new system. I just had to fill out a paper customs card last week after inadvertently pre-registering through the Japan Customs app, which is no longer accepted (of course they haven't pushed any kind of warning about this through the app).
Oh no, the app died? I was kind of waiting for that to happen, as new downloads have been disabled for a long time. You could only get it if you already had had it on a prior device. So much easier to deal with than the website. It is a sad day....

They will never get rid of those paper ED cards, the wife of the responsible civil servant plays bridge with the wife of the owner of the company that prints them. Or Dentsu gets a commission per card. Or some other wonderful reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.