Where to go for a few days from Osaka?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver

Will be visiting family near Osaka for 2 weeks in August. It’s our 4th time in Japan so a few of the highlights have been done (Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Kobe, Hiroshima, Miyajima). Interests vary and include beach, culture, food.

Any recommendations for a 3-4 day side trip which can include flying (JPY 15-20k each way) from KIX/ITM? I considered Okinawa for some r&r by the sea. We’ll have a 8 y.o. and although we are fairly heat tolerant and beach friendly, I don’t know if I want to shell out U$500/night for a chaotic beach resort on a so-so beach. Having said that, we are also able to appreciate local budget-friendly options.

Should we consider any other locations: Miyazaki, Hokkaido?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
August is in the middle of school summer vacation and also Obon, I do think budget friendly option may not be easy to come by. Many places will be busy.

Ryukyu Islands, islands beside the main Okinawa island.
Amami Islands, islands between Kagoshima and Okinawa.
There are several charming small islands on Seto Inland Sea, beside Miyajima
Awaji Island is an affordable close by plane for people at Kansai.
From Osaka area, Ise Shima area of Mie is a nice trip on Kintetsu Railway.
RafKa likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jan 24, 2024 at 9:06 am
Old Jan 24, 2024, 8:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Southern Wakayama prefecture - Beach at Shirahama, Temples and culture at Koya-san and other sites around the Kii peninsula (Kumano Hongu, Nachi Taisha). No flight necessary.
RafKa and nishimark like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Loved Nagasaki ( though not a beach) and tempted by Huis ten bosch ( closeish to Nagasaki)

Regards

TBS
RafKa and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GM
There are festivals in Tohoku including the two linked below (which i have not attended). There is another festival in Akita, I think, where they have big red monsters come out to scare little children into being good (might not work for an 8 y.o.). Not sure if it is a summer festival, but might be fun.

Nebuta Matsuri (Nebuta Festival) - Aomori Travel (japan-guide.com)
Kanto Matsuri (Kanto Festival) - Akita Travel (japan-guide.com)
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:18 pm

Programs: https://travelarii.com/
Considering your family's interests and the desire for a budget-friendly option, I'd recommend exploring Miyazaki. It offers a mix of beautiful beaches, cultural experiences, and delicious local cuisine. The Aoshima Island caters to diverse interests and provides a more serene environment compared to bustling resorts. It's a great choice for a 3-4 day getaway, and you can find affordable accommodation options to suit your preferences. Safe travels!
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta
Will you have access to a car or interested in driving? That would open up several local possibilities (Awaji-shima, Shikoku, the places noted in message #3 above).

Hokkaido is very nice in summer. If reserved ahead of time, may be possible to get cheap flights from KIX on Peach, for example, or from Kobe.

What part of Osaka area will you be staying?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 10:50 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Naha?

And also easy to reach by train: Fukuoka (also: lying budda/ Nanzoin).

PS: Nagasaki is a minor hassle in changing trains in nowhere, unsure about flying
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:36 pm

I had a nice time in Okayama and Kurashiki last year, and from there it's easy to get to Shikoku if you want to travel further. Then again I don't mind spending a week in Kobe really getting to know the place.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Thanks everyone for the variety of tips - I'll dig into them and post the final conclusion.

Family is in Oji (on the JR Yamatoji line, between Osaka and Nara). They have cars a few cars and might well tag along with us, but I wouldn't be against flying and renting if rates (or bureaucracy) aren't prohibitive.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
Thanks everyone for the variety of tips - I'll dig into them and post the final conclusion.

Family is in Oji (on the JR Yamatoji line, between Osaka and Nara). They have cars a few cars and might well tag along with us, but I wouldn't be against flying and renting if rates (or bureaucracy) aren't prohibitive.
i recommend going to hokkaido 100% you won't regret it (recommend renting a car to drive around) AirDo (ana owned) has promo fares. the flight is not too long. the weather is a nice change
bmwe92fan and ksandness like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Naha?

And also easy to reach by train: Fukuoka (also: lying budda/ Nanzoin).

PS: Nagasaki is a minor hassle in changing trains in nowhere, unsure about flying
I would classify it as a very minor hassle unless you have unwieldy bags, and for that there's takkyubin. There is a train change if you're using the shinkansen and going from Fukuoka to Nagasaki, but it's just across the platform and the trains are timed so it's only a 3-5 minute wait or so (and if the relay train is delayed they seem to hold the shinkansen). We did a day trip to Nagasaki from Fukuoka a few weeks ago and I do wish we had stayed a little longer to explore more. By now the Marriott at Nagasaki Station will have opened as well, for those of the Bonvoy persuasion.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by bigdog2
i recommend going to hokkaido 100% you won't regret it (recommend renting a car to drive around) AirDo (ana owned) has promo fares. the flight is not too long. the weather is a nice change
+1,000 -- August in Japan is very hot and humid -- Hokkaido would be a very welcome change -- and it is very beautiful.

My wife and I have always wanted to do an inland sea cruise -- which would be nice in August and cooler on the water. The offer many different lengths -- from a few nights to a week -- plus some of the ships are really cool looking -- check it out: Inland Sea Cruises
ksandness likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by bigdog2
Yes, I went to Hokkaido for the first time this past summer, and the weather was definitely cooler and less humid, although it never was actually cold.
I only went to Hakodate (which I loved, especially the aerial tramway up the mountain, the eclectic architecture, and the extensive seafood market), Sapporo (a bit of a disappointment), and Otaru (a fun day trip from Sapporo), but I'd like to explore more. The Shinkansen takes you almost to Hakodate, and from there, the train to Sapporo is 3-4 hours. (There are plans to extend the Shinkansen all the way to Sapporo, but it's not there yet.)
bigdog2 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1,000 -- August in Japan is very hot and humid -- Hokkaido would be a very welcome change -- and it is very beautiful.

My wife and I have always wanted to do an inland sea cruise -- which would be nice in August and cooler on the water. The offer many different lengths -- from a few nights to a week -- plus some of the ships are really cool looking -- check it out: Inland Sea Cruises
I thought the inland sea is the most heavily industrialized part of japan. is it really pleasant to cruise through with all the shipping activity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.