Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Museums / Exhibitions / Shows

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Tokyo Museums / Exhibitions / Shows

Didn’t see a thread for this but I think it would be useful. Today my wife - who loves fashion and design - and I went to an exhibition at the National Art Center in Roppongi on the life and work of Yves Saint Laurent.

The exhibition was incredibly well done and I highly recommend it - took some photos when allowed - was impressed.

The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Nov 8, 2023 at 1:19 am
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:47 am
Original Poster

We were in Ginza again so we checked out the Panasonic Shiodome Art Museum - my wife was interested in their costume jewelry exhibition. While not my thing it was quite the collection of incredible pieces….

Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo Node in Tonaromon Hills (opened late 2023) is currently hosting an exhibition called "Eternity in a Moment" by Mika Ninagawa.

https://tokyonode.jp/?fbclid=IwAR1Iu...qRvlCz07t85UBQ

It is on until the 25th February (2024)

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 3, 2024 at 10:22 am
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Panasonic Shiodome Museum of Art has Frank Lloyd Wright and the World exhibit till March 10.
bmwe92fan and lobsterdog like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Panasonic Shiodome Museum of Art has Frank Lloyd Wright and the World exhibit till March 10.
Bummer - we will just miss this as we return on the 14th....
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Tokyo Node in Tonaromon Hills (opened late 2023) is currently hosting an exhibition called "Eternity in a Moment" by Mila Ninagawa.

https://tokyonode.jp/?fbclid=IwAR1Iu...qRvlCz07t85UBQ

It is on until the 25th February (2024)
I went on Thursday, and I wouldn't recommend it. There's a gigantic gallery filled with flowering plants from floor to ceiling, and it would be a wonderful experience if there wasn't a woman standing near the center shouting at everyone - as it was it was quite unpleasant. It's 2024 and this is a planned commercial event, not a spontaneous street party, so there must be better crowd-control techniques than having someone continuously shouting at people to move along.

Worse, I suspect that nobody who runs the gallery thinks there's anything wrong with this experience. The flower gallery was absolutely packed, and moving very slowly, so you were stuck listening to the shouting woman for quite awhile while you slowly made your way to the exit. God forbid there should be a fire or any kind of panic - it really felt dangerously crowded.

There are three separate galleries, and unlike at TeamLab the immersive experience here breaks down when you finish in one and move on to the next one - the corridors really remind you that you're in an office building.

The show itself was okay - lots of trippy experimental videos, ambient music, and trippy experimental music. The giant flower gallery was the high point, or would have been had it not been so unpleasant to experience.
LapLap, bmwe92fan and uanj like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
I went on Thursday, and I wouldn't recommend it. There's a gigantic gallery filled with flowering plants from floor to ceiling, and it would be a wonderful experience if there wasn't a woman standing near the center shouting at everyone - as it was it was quite unpleasant. It's 2024 and this is a planned commercial event, not a spontaneous street party, so there must be better crowd-control techniques than having someone continuously shouting at people to move along.

Worse, I suspect that nobody who runs the gallery thinks there's anything wrong with this experience. The flower gallery was absolutely packed, and moving very slowly, so you were stuck listening to the shouting woman for quite awhile while you slowly made your way to the exit. God forbid there should be a fire or any kind of panic - it really felt dangerously crowded.

There are three separate galleries, and unlike at TeamLab the immersive experience here breaks down when you finish in one and move on to the next one - the corridors really remind you that you're in an office building.

The show itself was okay - lots of trippy experimental videos, ambient music, and trippy experimental music. The giant flower gallery was the high point, or would have been had it not been so unpleasant to experience.
Thanks. Mine was a pure vicarious experience as friends had been involved in the installation. The visitor management element you described had been entirely absent.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:54 am

Thanks. Mine was a pure vicarious experience as friends had been involved in the installation. The visitor management element you described had been entirely absent.
Oh you're lucky if you got to see it without the crowds - that flower gallery would have been amazing with half the number of people, and no one shouting. Your friends did a good job!
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh you're lucky if you got to see it without the crowds - that flower gallery would have been amazing with half the number of people, and no one shouting. Your friends did a good job!
I got to see Mika Ninagawa’s Sakuran in the cinema back in 2007. Not the best acted or scripted and certainly not the most realistic/authentic movie by any measure. However, the aesthetic sumptuousness was intoxicating. I was sad not to have been able to attend this exhibition, less so now I know what the user experience was actually like (although thinking about it, perhaps some earplugs or noise cancelling headphones with one’s own soundtrack choice would go towards salvaging the experience).

MrLapLap points out that there is a world of difference between the contracts at a temporary exhibition such as this and those where a more permanent installation takes place The TeamLab event contracts, for instance, will be far more extensive and interwoven between the Artists who make and maintain the works and the site hosting the show.
lobsterdog likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 3, 2024 at 11:05 am
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:40 pm

I saw a wonderful cherry blossom art exhibition at the Tokyo Museum and I have a deep memory.

Cherry blossom viewing is called "hanami" in Japanese. Every year from March to April when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom, Japanese people will gather with their relatives and friends under the cherry blossom trees to enjoy the flowers, go out in spring, and have fun. Japanese painters of different eras also created genre paintings of people enjoying cherry blossoms. The Paper learned thatstarting from March 4, the Tokyo National Museum of Japan will soon launch a special event of "Appreciating Flowers in the Museum", presenting exhibits related to cherry blossoms in various exhibition halls of the museum. In addition to paintings by Ukiyo-e master Utagawa Toyokuni and others, there are also ceramics, fabrics, screens and other utensils related to cherry blossoms.
https://www.souquee.com/news/63fc2d2172410407e58d94ac
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
There's a gigantic gallery filled with flowering plants from floor to ceiling, and it would be a wonderful experience if there wasn't a woman standing near the center shouting at everyone - as it was it was quite unpleasant. It's 2024 and this is a planned commercial event, not a spontaneous street party, so there must be better crowd-control techniques than having someone continuously shouting at people to move along.

I also went to see this with my family. The flower space is maze-like with low ceilings and tight corridors, and is ridiculously cramped for the number of people squeezing through it. With every single person in there taking selfies from a hundred angles, it quickly turns into a massive human traffic jam. If you have even mild claustrophobia, you will want to stay away. I suspect this one exhibit is the main reason why visitors have to pre-book a time slot, but even with that level of throughput control, it's still a nightmare to get through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.