Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Haneda Domestic to International Connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Haneda Domestic to International Connection

Hi, everyone! I purchased a flight with Lufthansa and I'll leave Hiroshima by ANA NH 674, arriving at HND at 10:45AM, on terminal 2. I'll have a tight connection, leaving Haneda to Frankfurt on LH717 at 12:35PM (terminal 3). I was doing some research and it seems that I'll have to leave terminal 2, take a bus, go to terminal 3 and go through customs only on terminal 3, having to pass security all over again. Usually when you connect between domestic to international flights, you don't leave the departure areas, just connect between terminals if that's the case, but that does not seem to apply to HND Airport. Has anyone connected from domestic to international in Tokyo Haneda, having to change terminals and go through security again? Do I have enough time to do this whole procedure?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: LH M+M
Check this (scroll a bit for "From Terminal 2") https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/flight/transit/dms_int.html

The buildings are apart (thus the bus..) and I'd say they just consider that as non-safe (per international airside/safe standard)?
So you've to go through security-check "again".. which is pretty fast in HND (all JP) anyway.
I understand this is one ticket? So LH knows if NH is late and also there will be queue-pickers before security-check if time is
really running low.

Enjoy the trip

PS: and I bet one Baumkuchen that 717 wont leave on time ;-)
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk,

There used to be a bus from T1 to T3 for JAL ( from airside at T1 after leaving the domestic aircraft) so this was stopped.
Apart from the landside bus if you show your boarding pass/passport at the info desk landside you can get a transit pass for the train or monorail to T3.
At T3 you will have to go through security and immigration ( was quick in the evening)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AngelusM
I was doing some research and it seems that I'll have to leave terminal 2, take a bus, go to terminal 3 and go through customs only on terminal 3, having to pass security all over again. Usually when you connect between domestic to international flights, you don't leave the departure areas, just connect between terminals if that's the case, but that does not seem to apply to HND Airport.
Even if there was a mechanism to bypass security, there's still the issue of having to go through departure Customs and Immigration. Perhaps there's an airport in Japan that allows domestically-arriving passengers with an int'l connection to stay airside and get dumped into the departure Immigration hall without having to go through security - I don't know. As far as domestic-to-int'l connections with no security or other formalities, that's only possible in countries that don't have departure immigration (such as US and UK).

Last edited by Steve M; Oct 19, 2023 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 19, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers! I’ll have a 40+ hours on this trip, returning home from Japan, and I’m trying to plan ahead of time so nothing goes wrong.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Some tips -
  • The airport bus from Hiroshima to Hiroshima airport takes about an hour.
  • Hiroshima airport (like most regional airports in Japan) has restaurants in the pre-security area but not many services in the gate area after security.
  • In general, domestic departure lounges are quite basic..
I guess you will probably aim to get to Hiroshima airport quite early. In such cases I prefer to pass time at a cafe in the pre-security area and go through security around 30-40 minutes before scheduled departure. YMMV.

At HND, it's possible to travel between terminals by bus, monorail, or train. You have enough time whichever method you choose. Make a plan and stick to it.
  • Bus is simple - just get on the bus.
  • Monorail is frequent and comfortable but requires a ticket. Connecting passengers can claim a free ticket at the information desk.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
If you were sold a ticket with that connection then you should be ok. I haven't done it, but I have arrived domestic and then taken the bus over to the next terminal and it was all easy and quick. If this is on the same ticket, your checked in luggage will already be checked in so you just have to go through security and then customs. Japan is good in that if you are delayed and have a tight connection they will let you through a fast lane through security, there will be someone there asking what your departure time is. https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/guide/pr...sit/#anchor008
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
do you need to pick up and recheck your bags? Years ago I was surprised that I needed to do this at KIX even though they were tagged through - Not only pick up, but take them on the bus to a distant terminal and recheck. Learned a lesson that despite extensive travels I really didn't know everything
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by estnet
do you need to pick up and recheck your bags?
The OP should not need to pick up checked luggage. ANA will transfer bags to Lufthansa without the need for the OP to touch them.

Years ago I was surprised that I needed to do this at KIX even though they were tagged through - Not only pick up, but take them on the bus to a distant terminal and recheck. Learned a lesson that despite extensive travels I really didn't know everything
Was that on separate tickets with one of the flights on an LCC (Low Cost Carrier) such as Peach?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
The OP should not need to pick up checked luggage. ANA will transfer bags to Lufthansa without the need for the OP to touch them.

Was that on separate tickets with one of the flights on an LCC (Low Cost Carrier) such as Peach?

I bought my ticket directly from Lufthansa and my first flight from HIJ will be operated by ANA, it’s one ticket only, so I figure that I won’t have to pick up and recheck my luggage
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AngelusM
ANA NH 674, arriving at HND at 10:45AM, on terminal 2. I'll have a tight connection, leaving Haneda to Frankfurt on LH717 at 12:35PM (terminal 3). ... Do I have enough time to do this whole procedure?
The published Minimum Connect Time for a domestic-to-intl connection from ANA to Lufthansa at HND is 1 hours 10 minutes, according to ExpertFlyer, and you have 40 minutes more than that.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Nope - JAL F and C. Hadn't been told (one ticket, bag checked through) but saw a sign after I went through immigration and was walking past luggage - couldn't recheck at the desk outside the luggage door even tho there was a desk (like dropping off your bag in the US) but they very kindly helped me with big bag I couldn't manage (not expecting to have to until final destination) and even went on the bus with me to help with bag and make sure I got to the right place - Only in Japan
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Agree - connecting on *A at HND should be no issues with bags being checked through - just check with the agent when you check your bag to confirm The bus is very easy to find and get to the international terminal - don't worry about it OP!
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Agree - connecting on *A at HND should be no issues with bags being checked through - just check with the agent when you check your bag to confirm The bus is very easy to find and get to the international terminal - don't worry about it OP!
Thanks for all the answers. I bought the ticket directly from lufthansa, it's the same booking for the ANA and LH, so I figure I won't have to recheck my luggage, just go through customs and security after changing terminals.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:19 pm

do you need to pick up and recheck your bags? Years ago I was surprised that I needed to do this at KIX even though they were tagged through - Not only pick up, but take them on the bus to a distant terminal and recheck. Learned a lesson that despite extensive travels I really didn't know everything
Nope - JAL F and C. Hadn't been told (one ticket, bag checked through) but saw a sign after I went through immigration and was walking past luggage - couldn't recheck at the desk outside the luggage door even tho there was a desk
There's two issues there: You're always going to need to claim your luggage on an international arrival so that you and your bags can be processed through Customs, whether or not they're through-checked to an additional domestic connection. In addition to the recheck counter not being usable by you for whatever reason, it sounds like you didn't realize until you saw the sign that you needed to claim your bags at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.