Search

Navigating Tokyo Station

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Navigating Tokyo Station

Hi there

I am planning to take the 630 am Nozomi to Kyoto on a Friday. My hotel is very close to the Tokyo train station. I hear that the train station can be confusing / overwhelming.

What entrance should I use to get to the Shinkansen tracks as quickly and efficiently as possible without getting lost?

I also plan to use the QR codes from the SmartEX app. I assume this should not be a problem?

Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: LH M+M
Tokaido goes from the very eastern tracks. So maybe you want to enter from that side.
"very close" isn't going to tell much.. If in doubt: look at the signage (or look lost, people might help) :-)
hdoraisamy and roberto99 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
In general it’s closer to enter through the Yaesu side (where the Daimaru dept. store is) if your are going to take Shinkansen. Tokyo station is big but the signage is quite good so you don’t really need to worry much. Don’t be panic if your hotel is closer to the Marunouchi side. Just enter from there and there will be clear signs to point you to the Shinkansen gates. It will just be a longer walk.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:57 am

Tokyo station, departing via shinkansen isn't too bad (as arriving at Tokyo station and trying to find the right exit)

This map should help, just look out for the signs for "tokaido shinkansen" - you can review the 1floor map. Yaesu (bottom off map) is the east side and has direct access, marunoichi (top) is west side requiring a little walk

If you're on the "wrong " side, just enter the ticketed area (pink area on map) and head towards the dark pink on map (you can't miss the large shinkansen signs, they are very well labelled)

Map: https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html

​​​​​​ shinkansen sign: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...d_20090212.jpg

more signs: https://mithunonthe.net/2015/10/08/j...e-tokyo-kyoto/
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: ANA Pt
Important to note that If you have downloaded App such as Mobile Suica to your smartphone, you cannot use QR-Ticket with Apple Wallet. Please print your QR-Ticket before you arrive at the station
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Yaesu Central Entrance (eastern side) is probably the closest for Shinkansen. But even though Tokyo Station is large, it's sensibly laid out with corridors north to south and good signage. If you end up on the wrong side (east/west, Yaesu/Marunouchi) there are crossover corridors that don't require you to enter the JR station.

I'm presently staying at a hotel right outside the Nihonbashi entrance (northeast side) and I can get to the Chuo JR platform in < 5min.

If you want not to be stressed you can get there a bit early, though not much will be open except for a few convenience stores and kiosks.
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamluk
In general it’s closer to enter through the Yaesu side (where the Daimaru dept. store is) if your are going to take Shinkansen. Tokyo station is big but the signage is quite good so you don’t really need to worry much. Don’t be panic if your hotel is closer to the Marunouchi side. Just enter from there and there will be clear signs to point you to the Shinkansen gates. It will just be a longer walk.
Thank you so much
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
What entrance should I use to get to the Shinkansen tracks as quickly and efficiently as possible without getting lost?
Which hotel are you staying at?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Which hotel are you staying at?
I am staying at the AC hotel in Ginza. I plan to take a taxi to the Yaesu entrance as it is < 3 km.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
I am staying at the AC hotel in Ginza. I plan to take a taxi to the Yaesu entrance as it is < 3 km.
If you don't have many luggage, one alternative is you can walk (or Taxi) to Shimbashi station, and then transfer to Shinkansen at Shinagawa station
hdoraisamy and PAX_fips like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Good plan. I would expect the streets to be empty at that time.

FWIW - When you said "very close to the Tokyo train station" I assumed that you were staying in a hotel in the immediate area around the station. In that situation you might debate whether to enter the station at the closest ticket gate or walk to a different entrance, but coming from the AC hotel in Ginza, it's an easy choice to take a cab to the Yaesu entrance. Tell the driver (or ask the hotel to tell the driver) that you're taking the Shinkansen.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Good plan. I would expect the streets to be empty at that time.

FWIW - When you said "very close to the Tokyo train station" I assumed that you were staying in a hotel in the immediate area around the station. In that situation you might debate whether to enter the station at the closest ticket gate or walk to a different entrance, but coming from the AC hotel in Ginza, it's an easy choice to take a cab to the Yaesu entrance. Tell the driver (or ask the hotel to tell the driver) that you're taking the Shinkansen.
Thank you! Thats my plan. I'll have the hotel write the destination in Japanese on a piece of paper just in case.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: AP 75k
As a worst case scenario, someone will definitely be able to point you in the right direction once you're in the station.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: LH M+M
Thank you! Thats my plan. I'll have the hotel write the destination in Japanese on a piece of paper just in case.
新幹線 - or in hiragana (easier to scribble): しんかんせん (shin-kan-sen), you can do it
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: AA, Amex
I hear that the train station can be confusing / overwhelming.
In the sense that it's a major station with a lot of people flowing through, multiple levels, etc. - sure.

With that said, every major station I've been through in Japan, the signage for where to go for the shinkansen area is pretty big and obvious. 🙂 There will also be station attendants around that you can ask if need be.

Give yourself a little extra time so you can shop around and find a good bento to take with you on the train... ekiben is part of the shinkansen experience!

You'll do great.
Buster CT1K and joejones like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.