Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting 3 days between Fukuoka and Nagasaki + questions about bus ride

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question Splitting 3 days between Fukuoka and Nagasaki + questions about bus ride

Next month, my overnight flight from from BKK is scheduled arrive FUK on Sunday at 8AM. Flight from NGS to Tokyo departs Wednesday at 1:35PM.

Reading up on both cities, Fukuoka is the bigger city but Nagasaki seems more interesting hence I'm torn between spending 1D in Fukuoka + 2D in Nagasaki or 2D in Fukuoka + 1D in Nagasaki or even 1.5D in Fukuoka + 1.5D in Nagasaki.

Fukuoka:
-Top of my list to visit: Canal City Mall
-Somewhat interested in seeing Ohori Park
- Won't be visiting temples, castles or museums

Nagasaki:
- Will be going to Atomic Bomb Museum and Peace Memorial
- Interested in taking a ferry to Iojima
- Won't be visiting temples or castles

In normal situation, I would probably choose to spend 1 day in Fukuoka + 2 days in Nagasaki but considering that my sleep quality will probably be poor on the plane, I don't know whether my body is fit enough to explore Fukuoka for 12 hours on Day 1.

I plan to stay walking distance from Hakata Bus Terminal as I plan to take the bus from Fukuoka to Nagasaki - I'm planning to just walk up the station and buy the ticket. https://willerexpress.com/en/bus_sea...saki/nagasaki/
I will have ~7Kg luggage with wheels plus a backpack. Would these be a problem to take on the bus?

Then I'm going to stay walking distance to Nagasaki station as I plan to take the airport bus from Nagasaki station/Nagasaki Ekimae to Nagasaki airport.

Would you stay longer in Fukuoka or Nagasaki?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hightide
Reading up on both cities, Fukuoka is the bigger city but Nagasaki seems more interesting hence I'm torn between spending 1D in Fukuoka + 2D in Nagasaki or 2D in Fukuoka + 1D in Nagasaki or even 1.5D in Fukuoka + 1.5D in Nagasaki.
Nagasaki, of course, has lots of interesting historical sights, so if you're also planning to visit the A-Bomb Museum and Peace Park, which could take half a day all by itself, you'll need more than a day to see the major sights.
Fukuoka:
Since you don't plan on visiting historical sights or museums in Fukuoka, I think one day is sufficient for your stay.
Nagasaki:
In recent years, a bridge has been built to Iojima, so you could also get there by car or taxi, but the ferry would be more interesting. Iojima also has onsen, which I'm guessing is why you're going there.
In normal situation, I would probably choose to spend 1 day in Fukuoka + 2 days in Nagasaki but considering that my sleep quality will probably be poor on the plane, I don't know whether my body is fit enough to explore Fukuoka for 12 hours on Day 1.
Since Canal City Mall appears to be one of your main activities in Fukuoka, that can be easily visited in just a few hours, giving time for other activities. I don't think you'll need more than one day for this. Actually, the evening might be a good time to visit Canal City because they have an interesting fountain and light show between it and the Grand Hyatt Hotel that you could also catch while there.
I plan to stay walking distance from Hakata Bus Terminal as I plan to take the bus from Fukuoka to Nagasaki - I'm planning to just walk up the station and buy the ticket. https://willerexpress.com/en/bus_sea...saki/nagasaki/
I will have ~7Kg luggage with wheels plus a backpack. Would these be a problem to take on the bus?
These highway buses have lots of space for luggage under the carriage, so your luggage will be no problem.
Nagasaki requires a good two days to see some but perhaps not all of the major sights. My vote is for two days in Nagasaki.
hightide and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
My vote goes for two days at Nagasaki.

Nagasaki (長崎)
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:26 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My vote goes for two days at Nagasaki.
+1
hightide likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:09 am

Programs: LH M+M
Been to both cities and also vote for 2 days in Nagasaki. Let alone visit of Glover Garden and Dejima "Island" (yes, technically that's both a museum..)
and night(!)-view from Inasayama...

You can also take Shinkansen between both cities (with an easy connection).
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carnal City.......worth at least 2 hours and actually walkable from Hakata Gion/Nakasu stations. Personally Tenjin was more interesting until they ripped down most of the buildings for the Fukuoka Big Bang re-development (including the Mitsubishi Estate IMS Building with a circular escalator). Also right near Carnal City is a slew of outdoor stalls selling ramen etc on the river. Just walk over the bridge so you don't have to walk by the soaps.
hightide likes this.

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; Aug 11, 2023 at 2:12 am Reason: spelling of Tenjin
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for the input everyone

I didn't expect the unanimous decisions -- Thanks for solving my dilemma everyone, so I'm going with 1 day in Fukuoka + 2 days Nagasaki

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe

In recent years, a bridge has been built to Iojima, so you could also get there by car or taxi, but the ferry would be more interesting. Iojima also has onsen, which I'm guessing is why you're going there.

Since Canal City Mall appears to be one of your main activities in Fukuoka, that can be easily visited in just a few hours, giving time for other activities. I don't think you'll need more than one day for this. Actually, the evening might be a good time to visit Canal City because they have an interesting fountain and light show between it and the Grand Hyatt Hotel that you could also catch while there.
I love boat rides hence I prefer a ferry experience.
Is there an option to ride a bus to Iojima?

I'm undecided about the onsen as the weather will most likely be warm, I don't know whether it will be enjoyable.

Thanks for the tip -- I will save Canal City Mall for the evening/night.

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Been to both cities and also vote for 2 days in Nagasaki. Let alone visit of Glover Garden and Dejima "Island" (yes, technically that's both a museum..)

Mt. Inasa is on my to do list as well, thank you!
One reason I rather take the bus is so I need not pay attention needing to get off at the train connection (I will try to use the journey between Fukuoka and Nagasaki to catch up on needed sleep if necessary).

BTW: Do you know whether the drop off point of the Fukuoka - Nagasaki bus is the same as the bus from Nagasaki Station - Nagasaki airport?
I tried looking up the exact location but can't find it: https://nagasaki-airport.jp/en/acces...agasaki_go.php
Also, do I pay cash directly on the airport bus or do I have to pre-buy the ticket from a machine or ticket counter?

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Carnal City.......worth at least 2 hours and actually walkable from Hakata Gion/Nakasu stations. Personally Tenpin was more interesting until they ripped down most of the buildings for the Fukuoka Big Bang re-development (including the Mitsubishi Estate IMS Building with a circular escalator). Also right near Carnal City is a slew of outdoor stalls selling ramen etc on the river. Just walk over the bridge so you don't have to walk by the soaps.
Thanks for the info - are the outdoor stalls open till late (after the mall closes)?

-----------

For the streetcar/tram passes, are physical passes still sold at Nagaskai station? (I would rather not use an app as my phone is 7 years old and laggy)
https://ticket.jorudan.co.jp/naga-den/en/
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Next month, my overnight flight from from BKK is scheduled arrive FUK on Sunday at 8AM. Flight from NGS to Tokyo departs Wednesday at 1:35PM.

Fukuoka:

Nagasaki:

Then I'm going to stay walking distance to Nagasaki station as I plan to take the airport bus from Nagasaki station/Nagasaki Ekimae to Nagasaki airport.

What is so special about this place?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAX_fips

Any Marriott, Hyatt, IHG, or Hilton that's worth considering in these two cities?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I didn't expect the unanimous decisions -- Thanks for solving my dilemma everyone, so I'm going with 1 day in Fukuoka + 2 days Nagasaki

I love boat rides hence I prefer a ferry experience.
Is there an option to ride a bus to Iojima?

I'm undecided about the onsen as the weather will most likely be warm, I don't know whether it will be enjoyable.

Thanks for the tip -- I will save Canal City Mall for the evening/night.
Yes, you can go to Iojima by bus too, but I wouldn't bother because it takes about an hour while the ferry only takes about 21 minutes.
Here's the bus schedule in English: https://www.navitime.co.jp/transfer/...ultCondition=0
There is also a free shuttle bus service to Iojima if you stay at the I+Land onsen hotel there. The bus picks you up in front of Nagasaki Station. The shuttle bus takes about 45-50 minutes to Iojima. https://www.islandnagasaki.jp/post-3339/
Frankly, I cut back on my onsen activity in the summer but many Japanese go year round. Many of today's onsen also provide saunas and cold baths, so if you alternate between hot and cold baths you can stay cool, even in the summer.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Aug 10, 2023 at 6:31 pm
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Any Marriott, Hyatt, IHG, or Hilton that's worth considering in these two cities?
Fukuoka has Marriott (Ritz-Carlton), Hyatt (Grand Hyatt), Hilton, and IHG (Crowne Plaza) hotels. Nagasaki has a Hilton Hotel and a Marriott Hotel is now under construction there and will open in early 2024.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Carnal City
Was this intentional? Of course, there is that part of Fukuoka City where this term would apply.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:52 pm

What is so special about this place?
Some people like malls? Even on vacation? They also had one of the earlier ramen stadium setups.

I'd provide a Muji tally from my trips as it seems to confuse my partner how I'm able to encounter yet another in the middle of seemingly nowhere and still want to go in after the first few, but I suspect this would only be appreciated by those wondering about their next trip to Tokyu Hands.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
Some people like malls? Even on vacation? They also had one of the earlier ramen stadium setups.

I'd provide a Muji tally from my trips as it seems to confuse my partner how I'm able to encounter yet another in the middle of seemingly nowhere and still want to go in after the first few, but I suspect this would only be appreciated by those wondering about their next trip to Tokyu Hands.
There are a lot of things that I don't understand.

What is a ramen stadium setup?

Is there anything special about the Mujis in Japan?

I've seen a Tokyu Hands in Singapore. What is so special about this store?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: LH M+M
No idea, I stayed in "Forza" since I am not that upscale and prefer a central location with easy access to public transport or walkable distances.

On tram tickets: I just used Suica.

FUK:
On malls/Canal City: for the mall itself, one hour. Plus shopping or endless queue for food
I liked the Sunplaza underground (all the way from Hakata to Gion St) a bit more.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.