Search

Visiting Japan in September

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Visiting Japan in September

Hi there

I would like to stopover in Japan for 2 days in mid-September. Japan has always been on my bucket list ever since I was a kid

I understand September is considered Typhoon season in the area. What can I expect in general? Am I looking at heavy rain throughout the day most of the month? Or is it similar to how the US considers hurricane season?

Also, I really want to see Mount Fuji - I understand this is hit or miss. Is Mid September a bad season to expect to see Fuji-san if I take the tour bus option from Tokyo?

Having this information will help me make an informed decision if I should stopover via Tokyo this year

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
Or is it similar to how the US considers hurricane season?
Yes. Hurricanes and typhoons are the same weather phenomenon: tropical cyclones.

Is Mid September a bad season to expect to see Fuji-san if I take the tour bus option from Tokyo?
Through the summer and into September Fuji is often hidden behind clouds. Winter is a better bet, generally.
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. Hurricanes and typhoons are the same weather phenomenon: tropical cyclones.

Through the summer and into September Fuji is often hidden behind clouds. Winter is a better bet, generally.
Thank you. I think I can push my trip into the 3rd week of September which hopefully improves my odds
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:07 am

Hi there

I would like to stopover in Japan for 2 days in mid-September. Japan has always been on my bucket list ever since I was a kid

I understand September is considered Typhoon season in the area. What can I expect in general? Am I looking at heavy rain throughout the day most of the month? Or is it similar to how the US considers hurricane season?

Also, I really want to see Mount Fuji - I understand this is hit or miss. Is Mid September a bad season to expect to see Fuji-san if I take the tour bus option from Tokyo?

Having this information will help me make an informed decision if I should stopover via Tokyo this year

Thanks!
I climbed Fuji at the very start of October years ago - a day or two after the official season closed. It was an incredibly beautiful warm and clear day. Was in tshirt and shorts all the way up to the final hut. Finished up to the top by sunrise with a sweatshirt.

My friend did it around the same time a year earlier and was rained on mercilessly the entire time and had no nice views.

clearly YMMV
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
September will still be very hot. As for typhoon risk, it's intermittent - for 2 days you will likely not see any severe weather, but if they do show up, they will wreak havoc on your plans. 2 days doesn't give much margin for change if needed. September is the busiest season for typhoons (and hurricanes) but only a few make it up to the Japanese mainland.

Otherwise the weather won't necessarily be a washout. Could have plenty of sunshine with the usual risk of showers that come with warm humid weather.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenc3
September will still be very hot. As for typhoon risk, it's intermittent - for 2 days you will likely not see any severe weather, but if they do show up, they will wreak havoc on your plans. 2 days doesn't give much margin for change if needed. September is the busiest season for typhoons (and hurricanes) but only a few make it up to the Japanese mainland.

Otherwise the weather won't necessarily be a washout. Could have plenty of sunshine with the usual risk of showers that come with warm humid weather.
Thank you! This is helpful
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Anecdotally we've done about five trips to Japan in September over the last 15 years, three of them we were hit with a strong typhoon! It messes up about two days like others have said, but most things get back to normal very quick.
hdoraisamy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:00 am

Would love to hike Mt Fuji in Summer of 2024.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:31 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Is there more you would like to do in Japan than just see Mt. Fuji and be able to tick Japan as a destination off your bucket list?

If there is, then I would recommend taking the time to have a longer break there rather than trying to cram a lot into 2 days and being worried in the build up of the weather was going to derail your plans. Obviously this might mean postponing your Japan plans to a later date.

Otherwise if you are only able to do the 2 day stopover, you could do a one day trip to include Mt. Fuji and Hakone and the other day you could spend exploring say the Shibuya, Shinjuku and Akhibara areas of Tokyo.

Not exactly Typhoon related, but there is something magical imho about Tokyo in the rain - especially at night.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McG
Is there more you would like to do in Japan than just see Mt. Fuji and be able to tick Japan as a destination off your bucket list?

If there is, then I would recommend taking the time to have a longer break there rather than trying to cram a lot into 2 days and being worried in the build up of the weather was going to derail your plans. Obviously this might mean postponing your Japan plans to a later date.

Otherwise if you are only able to do the 2 day stopover, you could do a one day trip to include Mt. Fuji and Hakone and the other day you could spend exploring say the Shibuya, Shinjuku and Akhibara areas of Tokyo.

Not exactly Typhoon related, but there is something magical imho about Tokyo in the rain - especially at night.
Unfortunately, I am constrained by time and can only do a full day in Japan. I like the idea of doing Fuji with the surrounding areas for most of the day and finding something to do in Tokyo once I come back around 8 pm. Not sure what would be open around that time,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.