Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaccination proof

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Vaccination proof

Hi, I am preparing for my upcoming Japan trip later this week. I don't have a formal vaccination certificate issued from the government, but only the QR code on my phone. I am not sure if the screen shot of the QR code works. Did someone use that and get approved?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by gongtiger
Hi, I am preparing for my upcoming Japan trip later this week. I don't have a formal vaccination certificate issued from the government, but only the QR code on my phone. I am not sure if the screen shot of the QR code works. Did someone use that and get approved?
Read the sticky thread (mod may move this there).

The QR code should work, I uploaded both the QR code and a picture of my physical card. Was approved in less than 10 minutes.

give it go and report back if it worked.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
QR codes definitely work, you are good to go as long as it has all three shots on it.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

The QR code screen I have doesn't include birthdate nor passport number. Just my name, vaccine type, and time of dose. I am concerned if it will work..
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
The QR code screen I have doesn't include birthdate nor passport number. Just my name, vaccine type, and time of dose. I am concerned if it will work..
Submit it and see. If your documentation isn't accepted, you can enter by getting a certificate showing negative PCR test in the 72 hours preceding your departure. If you're getting tested, make sure that you use a method that's accepted and that the documentation meets Japanese government requirements:
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/border_test.html
seigex and jonisflying like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:38 am

In my experience they aren't too picky with what you upload. The main thing is that you upload something they can approve. Your name and 3 doses mentioned should be enough.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
In my experience they aren't too picky with what you upload. The main thing is that you upload something they can approve. Your name and 3 doses mentioned should be enough.
When VJW was new, I submitted my J&J shot with a moderna booster. They rejected it for some reason saying 3 shots are required even though only 2 are required if J&J is the first shot. I resubmitted the exact same info 5 minutes later and it was approved. So even if you do get rejected, doesn't hurt to do the VJW version of HUCA.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and did a PCR test today. Double prepared I guess
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and did a PCR test today. Double prepared I guess
Make sure you have the Japan form filled out (or preferably filled out by the lab) or the test may not be useful. When I went in October I was denied boarding because the test results did not specify the method that was used to take the sample (which is one of the questions on the Japan form) and I ended up traveling the next day after doing a test at a lab that was familiar with the requirements for travel to Japan.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing! That's unfortunate. I specifically asked the testing place to add all the necessary information on my report (including passport number!). Will upload the results and report back here later.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:15 am

I specifically asked the testing place to add all the necessary information on my report (including passport number!).
That's a start.
When you get the certificate, double check that the sample collection method is an *exact match* for one of the MHLW's specified methods.
Ditto for the testing method.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/....html#h2_free5

Perhaps things are a little less pedantic than they were a year or more ago, but folks were turned back at the border because their documentation left agents less than fully convinced that the test had been conducted according to a specified method of sampling or testing.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
That's a start.
When you get the certificate, double check that the sample collection method is an *exact match* for one of the MHLW's specified methods.
Ditto for the testing method.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/....html#h2_free5

Perhaps things are a little less pedantic than they were a year or more ago, but folks were turned back at the border because their documentation left agents less than fully convinced that the test had been conducted according to a specified method of sampling or testing.
The easiest way it to have the testing center fill out the government form themselves and put their stamp on it in the "name of medical institution" area. That way it looks very official. Labs that are familiar with travel to Japan will have the form on hand and do it themselves, but if not you can print it out and take it with you, and ask them to fill it out.

You can download the form here (under the "format" section) https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/border_test.html
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The easiest way it to have the testing center fill out the government form themselves and put their stamp on it in the "name of medical institution" area.
Agreed. It's easier to do it to the satisfaction of the Japanese agents if you use the template provided by the MHLW. I posted that advice because the OP mentioned that he had instructed the lab to include a list of details. Well, that will work if the lab follows the MHLW's rules to the letter.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
Agreed. It's easier to do it to the satisfaction of the Japanese agents if you use the template provided by the MHLW. I posted that advice because the OP mentioned that he had instructed the lab to include a list of details. Well, that will work if the lab follows the MHLW's rules to the letter.
Thankfully, someone has kindly posted a how-to YouTube video of how to fill out the MHLW template:

Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Update: got approval pretty quickly after uploading a standard PCR test results. Thanks everyone for your help!
jib71 and seigex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.