Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Twelve years since last in Tokyo - what's changed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twelve years since last in Tokyo - what's changed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
Even in normal, non-chain Izakayas?
I can't say for certain if they all do, but last October when I was in Tokyo, nearly every place we visited accepted cards, even the more local shops.

Again, you should keep cash on you, but it's definetely not like before where credit card acceptance was rare outside of larger establishments.
RobCH likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I have spent an aggregate of about 10 weeks in Tokyo since last summer, and I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to use cash. It has become like the US in that regard.
RobCH and FlyingFrZ like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
I have spent an aggregate of about 10 weeks in Tokyo since last summer, and I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to use cash. It has become like the US in that regard.
A contrasting perspective: I eat out ~14 meals per week when I am in TYO. Last week five did not accept cash or tap or QR payment.
RobCH likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by MattEvan
A contrasting perspective: I eat out ~14 meals per week when I am in TYO. Last week five did not accept cash or tap or QR payment.
Doesn't sound contrasting to me...
Old Mar 24, 2023, 6:50 pm

It is pretty rare in Tokyo nowadays to encounter a place that is truly "cash only" and doesn't at least accept Paypay. For anti-cash folks like me Paypay is worth getting set up - you'll need to log into a japanese app store account temporarily, and you can then top up your account using cash at a 7-11 atm (and probably others).

Also, a reminder that most of the credit card terminals function with Apple Pay but the quirk is that if the vendor selects Apple Pay from the payment options, it often doesn't work. Just have them select "credito" instead and it will work.
RobCH likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Many of the business type "lunch" places still only accept cash for lunch time meals -- most will take Paypay or Suica. At dinner cards are nearly universally accepted -- except for some smaller specialty places (mostly Suishi) that still only accept cash. I do agree CC acceptance has greatly improved in the past years -- we can probably thank COVID for that...
RobCH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.