Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3rd trip to Japan - can't decide on middle of itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Sort of the latter - basically, the thing works in that a guy comes up and asks if you speak English, they then ask to have a tea with you and talk so they can practice their English and they go to a tea shop whereupon you are "asked" to buy several boxes of very supposedly expensive teas or else two guys behind you will get very upset. Whilst it has not happened to me personally, a friend of mine had it happen to them some years back and lost a few hundred quid. Any attempt to alert local police will sometimes get results but often as like not

I believe this is much the same as in China where the scam happens too
Thanks for expounding. I had heard about this happening in China but haven’t had this scenario play out in Japan.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Sort of the latter - basically, the thing works in that a guy comes up and asks if you speak English, they then ask to have a tea with you and talk so they can practice their English and they go to a tea shop whereupon you are "asked" to buy several boxes of very supposedly expensive teas or else two guys behind you will get very upset. Whilst it has not happened to me personally, a friend of mine had it happen to them some years back and lost a few hundred quid.
This is the MO of your classic Rappungi clip joint, but it usually involves alcohol or scantily-dressed women (probably men also these days). Never heard of it working using tea as the lure. Maybe they're targeting teetotaling food and culture-obsessed snobs?
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
This is the MO of your classic Rappungi clip joint, but it usually involves alcohol or scantily-dressed women (probably men also these days). Never heard of it working using tea as the lure. Maybe they're targeting teetotaling food and culture-obsessed snobs?
Been to Japan a number of times and never had this sort of thing happen. Plenty of touts in certain areas, but I just say no and move on my way.

I also tend to bring only the cash I think I need, one easily replaced credit card, and leave my passport at hotel whenever I think i may be in a scenario where I'm convinced to go into a place that might scam me. Was worried about a girl bar/hostess bar I decided to visit in Kabukicho once but it turned out to be Japanese run and on the up and up just expensive. Have heard bad things about the Chinese run establishments though...
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:09 pm

Sort of the latter - basically, the thing works in that a guy comes up and asks if you speak English, they then ask to have a tea with you and talk so they can practice their English
I think being approached by some random JP person wanting to practice English would be more likely to be cult recruitment?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
BTW, I am a beer, whiskey, and food guy.
Then you will enjoy Hokkaido, no worries

And if you expect lots of future Japan trips, there is no need to optimize the sightseeing and plan everything in detail anyway.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
and leave my passport at hotel
Foreign visitors are legally required to carry their passports, and residents their alien registration cards. Although the chances of being asked to show your passport to a policeman are quite low, not carrying it in public is a breach of the law. I once went out for a walk around midnight in Meguro-ku (in Tokyo) before bedtime with neither my passport nor alien card on me. Even though I was walking in a busy area with quite a few other people around, a policeman spotted me and asked for my papers (the only time I'd ever been asked in 40 years in Japan). Since I had none, he hauled me to the police station because I was technically breaking the law and I was given a hard time for my disrespect for Japanese law. They called my home phone number and asked my wife to come to the station with my ID. I think I even had to sign a form apologizing and promising not to do it again. Lesson learned, now I never forget to carry my alien resident card.
but it turned out to be Japanese run and on the up and up.
Being Japanese-run is no guarantee that you're protected from a scam of this sort.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Mar 6, 2023 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:36 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia
I think being approached by some random JP person wanting to practice English would be more likely to be cult recruitment?
Could be a cult thing. Could also be a random person who wants to practice English.

leave my passport at hotel whenever I think i may be in a scenario where I'm convinced to go into a place that might scam me
If you're actually planning to "be in a scenario," where you're scammed, I recommend carrying your passport, because there's a good chance that you'll "be in a scenario" where you have to interact with the police.

Whilst it has not happened to me personally, a friend of mine had it happen to them
It's entirely possible that your friend got scammed by touts in Japan, but I have a feeling that they told you a fib about where it happened. Ripping tourists off at a tea house is a well-known MO for scammers in other countries, but I think it's pretty much unheard of in Japan:
https://www.denverpost.com/2012/03/2...teahouse-scam/

Last edited by jib71; Mar 6, 2023 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
It's entirely possible that your friend got scammed by touts in Japan, but I have a feeling that they told you a fib about where it happened. Ripping tourists off at a tea house is a well-known MO for scammers in other countries, but I think it's pretty much unheard of in Japan:
https://www.denverpost.com/2012/03/2...teahouse-scam/
It’s the “tea shop” part of this scam that I just cannot visualise or imagine, not in Japan.

There are tea houses within public parks run by local districts that can be cheaply hired for a day or half a day. Those are sometimes taken up by sales people, perhaps for fittings or viewings of their commissioned products. Who knows what kind of sales techniques are being applied at these events. That’s about the only scenario where I could conceive of a scam like that being tried out. Perhaps an R&D trial using this very temporary kind of base as a one off “pop up” to see if one could expand from the licor and skimpy clothing rube traps.
Or maybe it was something so odd and/or embarrassing that the friend did indeed just say “tea house scam” to explain the premise rather than go into the cringey details of what happened.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:59 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
Or maybe it was something so odd and/or embarrassing
Scammers love a scam that the scammed person is too embarrassed to talk about.
LapLap and freecia like this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Well maybe I screwed up, maybe not.

Since I can't change my Kinosaki reservations I cut the Osaka part down to 1 day with a flight to Sapporo the following day. I'm going to spend 3 days in Sapporo/Otaru area, then head down to Sendai for a couple of days before heading to Tokyo.

BTW, I am a beer, whiskey, and food guy. Sapporo brewery and food is at the top of the list. I was going to hit up Yamazaki when I was spending more time in Osaka, but the tours are always full for English speaking.
Since you're visiting Sapporo and Sendai, you can visit one or both of the Nikka distilleries, Yoichi (Hokkaido) and Miyagiko (Miyagi). Yoichi appears to be more accessible compared to Miyagikyo. Miyagikyo requires a taxi ride or 20min walk from the station, if going there on a weekday. For the Nikka tours, the guide does not speak English but they will give you headsets with pre-recorded English explanations.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Foreign visitors are legally required to carry their passports, and residents their alien registration cards. Although the chances of being asked to show your passport to a policeman are quite low, not carrying it in public is a breach of the law. I once went out for a walk around midnight in Meguro-ku (in Tokyo) before bedtime with neither my passport nor alien card on me. Even though I was walking in a busy area with quite a few other people around, a policeman spotted me and asked for my papers (the only time I'd ever been asked in 40 years in Japan). Since I had none, he hauled me to the police station because I was technically breaking the law and I was given a hard time for my disrespect for Japanese law. They called my home phone number and asked my wife to come to the station with my ID. I think I even had to sign a form apologizing and promising not to do it again. Lesson learned, now I never forget to carry my alien resident card.
If I am truly concerned about my passport being stolen, I have sometimes kept my passport card on my person and left my passport book in the hotel safe. The (US) passport card is supposed to be valid for anything but crossing an international border by air; I figure if it's not adequate as proof of identity in a particular situation I can chalk that up to a good faith misunderstanding.

That said, I mostly only worry about such things in places with a lot of pickpockets (which is to say, not Japan!) — and I figure in such places local authorities are fairly likely to understand the value of protecting one's passport.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dtremit
If I am truly concerned about my passport being stolen, I have sometimes kept my passport <em>card</em> on my person and left my passport <em>book</em> in the hotel safe. The (US) passport card is supposed to be valid for anything but crossing an international border by air;
Passport cards are mainly for use by US citizens who cross the Mexican and Canadian borders often, for which they can use the card in place of a passport. As such, passport cards are not likely to be known to the Japanese police, who play things strictly by the book; if they don't know it, it doesn't exist.
Originally Posted by dtremit
I figure if it's not adequate as proof of identity in a particular situation I can chalk that up to a good faith misunderstanding.
I wouldn't advise that, as police in Japan will not likely know what a passport card is. If I were you, I would ask an immigration or customs officer when entering the country whether you can use it as an ID in place of a passport.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA, NW
When I was in Japan as a student in the 1970s, people used to come up to me and ask, "May I talk to you?" This was their opening for wanting to practice English, which meant reciting textbook sentences or dialogues at me.

The question "may I talk to you?" always annoyed me, and I couldn't figure out why. In discussing this with an American expat friend, I realized that when an English speaker says, "May I talk to you?" something unpleasant is about to ensue, perhaps criticism of one's performance at work or a friend wanting to discuss an unpleasant personal problem.

When I tried to explain this to Japanese people, they were puzzled, so I asked, "What would you say if you wanted to talk to a stranger who was Japanese?"

"We wouldn't talk to a stranger."

The word must have gotten around, since I never had anyone ask "May I talk to you?" on my return trips in the 1980s and beyond.
Gradfly and cockpitvisit like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
When I was in Japan as a student in the 1970s, people used to come up to me and ask, "May I talk to you?" This was their opening for wanting to practice English, which meant reciting textbook sentences or dialogues at me.

The question "may I talk to you?" always annoyed me, and I couldn't figure out why. In discussing this with an American expat friend, I realized that when an English speaker says, "May I talk to you?" something unpleasant is about to ensue, perhaps criticism of one's performance at work or a friend wanting to discuss an unpleasant personal problem.

When I tried to explain this to Japanese people, they were puzzled, so I asked, "What would you say if you wanted to talk to a stranger who was Japanese?"

"We wouldn't talk to a stranger."

The word must have gotten around, since I never had anyone ask "May I talk to you?" on my return trips in the 1980s and beyond.
Back in the 70s, I too remember being asked on occasion “May I talk to you?”, but this was almost always in Tokyo, usually on the subway. I think the last time I was asked was probably in the early 80s, and I’ve never been asked since. In the 70s, foreigners were much fewer in number, even in Tokyo, so our presence was a rare opportunity for the aggressive English student, and some of them pounced on the chance to improve their English via the “man-tsu-man” method. Outside of Tokyo, in the prefectures, English students or adults who wanted to improve their English were more likely to try to form friendships with foreigners where they could benefit through prolonged contact and conversation. I remember after first arriving in Japan, when I was living at a place far outside Tokyo that was under renovation, the construction workers there wanted to take me and a foreign friend out drinking so they could practice their English. Thus ensued a series of night outs in which they introduced us to Japanese nightlife, such as snacks, and smokey cabarets with orchestras and hostesses (which I think have largely died out). Being new to Japan, we had a great time and they footed the bill while we let them practice their English. But you’re right, I think those days of being targeted by language learners for "on-the-spot" English lessons have largely died out.
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just assumed that becoming married, getting older, not doing so many things on my own (and any combination of these) affected the kind of interactions that happen on my visits.

My initial trips to Japan in the 00s did still include people approaching me asking if I spoke English and could we have a conversation. I was still using the kind of hotels and lodging frequented by backpackers and heard from other female visitors who were recounting their experiences of ending up in Karaoke booths with retired and bored men (it’s usually men) who wanted reassurance that their devotion to learning Bruce Springsteen lyrics had yielded something intelligible to an English speaker and such-like, mine have involved exchanges of encouragement about each other’s efforts on park benches, although I did once have a lovely evening chatting with a much, much younger man who approached me in a restaurant (his parents were near by, I think they were thrilled to see how the lessons with his Canadian tutor were paying off). Even my mum got caught up in a couple of these in Mid-Western Japan when she ambled away from my father.

On a handful of occasions it’s been weird and creepy and I’ve backed off immediately, but generally it’s been pleasant if slightly awkward. The interactions with females do run very differently and tend to start off in a more natural manner. No need to be asked “May I talk with you?” if we’ve already begun talking. This continues. In fact, having a young child with me has given opportunities for interaction extra momentum. Since my first visit to Japan and ever since then it’s been clear what my favourite part of Japan and Japanese culture is, and it’s the older women. And it’s a love affair that gets renewed over and over across the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.