Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Hilton or Business Hotel (like Dormy inn)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 10:49 am
koi
Original Poster

I'm planning a family trip to Japan right now (myself, my wife, and two kids), and I was going to book it through Marriott, I can't afford W, Regis, or Ritz, but was thinking Marriot,Sheraton, or Courtyard. Since I am a plat member, we could get lounge access and breakfast. But, my wife, who lived there for a long time, says it's a waste of money, and we should just stay in a business hotel.
Given many of these business hotels serve breakfast, seem to be in a better location than US franchise hotels, and some even have hot springs, I'm also starting to think business hotels may be a better choice.
What are your thoughts? If you had an option, would you choose business hotels over a US franchise hotels?

Last edited by koi; Feb 27, 2023 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:15 am
TDV

How old are the kids? Do you think you’ll need more space for the kids? It really depends on your needs.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
A lot of the Japanese hotel chains seem to have three and even four bed rooms, which I don't think I've seen in any Western chains.

The Tokyu Stay chain in particular has washing machines in every room, which I could imagine being useful, and many have basic kitchenettes. I also came across Mimaru and Mimaru Suites which seem to have more apartment-like rooms. I think there are a number of other "aparthotel" chains out there but I don't recall the names.

On the other side — keep in mind the Marriott Plat lounge benefit is technically "member plus one guest" — so you might end up paying extra for the kids anyway. Japanese hotels seem to like following rules to the letter.
oldfolky likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
The international chain options in Japan, below the top tier anyway, still vary a lot in terms of amenities and room quality, and location options can be limited. I'd look into specific hotels you're interested in and whether they can provide rooms with enough space, amenities, and location for what you need on your trip.

Many popular business hotels are a solid value. They often include a basic breakfast, laundry facilities, and baths/springs like the Dormy Inn (I'm partial to the Dormy). In my experience there's a floor on quality level at these hotels, meaning that I've stayed in rooms ~Y5000/night for a single that were clean, comfortable, safe, and perfectly adequate for a short stay. If you're not crazy about the included breakfast there are plenty of coffee shops like Tully's, Doutor, etc. I've also cobbled together a conbini breakfast for my jet-lagged self at 6am. So bottom line, business hotels are a great value and it's unlikely that the big chains will offer amenities that justify the price difference. Even when I'm traveling for work I still sometimes stay at the business hotels for the location convenience as well as the experience.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 12:37 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I agree with the wife!

I totally avoid staying at American hotel chains out of the US because I want something different than I get in the US. Also, I don't want to be surrounded by Americans when I'm in another country.

My last time I stayed in the Amsterdam Marriott, I rode in the elevator and heard another young American state, "I can't believe I got $1,000 in roaming charges from that week in Moscow!"

I'd rather experience more local things than another "American environment"
wysiwyg likes this.

Last edited by roberto99; Feb 27, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Plat.
I can tell you that the Courtyard in Ginza offers no benefits above Japanese business hotels other than earning Marriott points.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:14 pm
koi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDV
How old are the kids? Do you think you’ll need more space for the kids? It really depends on your needs.
They are 7 and 3, they don't really need a big space.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:36 pm

Does it have to be all one and none of the other? I typically go with JP business hotels in cities for cost performance and tend to spend more in resort/leisure locations, sometimes in a US chain or more often in a nice ryokan. I also value location like brenc3 and with 7 and 3 year old, I would prioritize close to good subway station with elevator if the 3 year old would still want a stroller on longer days. If you do mostly business hotels with a nice US chain in a leisure spot or two, it might give your family some reference points for the future trips? Breaking it up with a few larger non-JP-business hotel stays can also provide bit of space from each other which can be nice if you don't currently live in a small home.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:50 pm
koi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Does it have to be all one and none of the other? I typically go with JP business hotels in cities for cost performance and tend to spend more in resort/leisure locations, sometimes in a US chain or more often in a nice ryokan. I also value location like brenc3 and with 7 and 3 year old, I would prioritize close to good subway station with elevator if the 3 year old would still want a stroller on longer days. If you do mostly business hotels with a nice US chain in a leisure spot or two, it might give your family some reference points for the future trips? Breaking it up with a few larger non-JP-business hotel stays can also provide bit of space from each other which can be nice if you don't currently live in a small home.
Does Marriott have resort locations in Japan? I didn't know they did
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:01 pm
koi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit
A lot of the Japanese hotel chains seem to have three and even four bed rooms, which I don't think I've seen in any Western chains.

The Tokyu Stay chain in particular has washing machines in every room, which I could imagine being useful, and many have basic kitchenettes. I also came across Mimaru and Mimaru Suites which seem to have more apartment-like rooms. I think there are a number of other "aparthotel" chains out there but I don't recall the names.

On the other side — keep in mind the Marriott Plat lounge benefit is technically "member plus one guest" — so you might end up paying extra for the kids anyway. Japanese hotels seem to like following rules to the letter.
Originally Posted by brenc3
The international chain options in Japan, below the top tier anyway, still vary a lot in terms of amenities and room quality, and location options can be limited. I'd look into specific hotels you're interested in and whether they can provide rooms with enough space, amenities, and location for what you need on your trip.

Many popular business hotels are a solid value. They often include a basic breakfast, laundry facilities, and baths/springs like the Dormy Inn (I'm partial to the Dormy). In my experience there's a floor on quality level at these hotels, meaning that I've stayed in rooms ~Y5000/night for a single that were clean, comfortable, safe, and perfectly adequate for a short stay. If you're not crazy about the included breakfast there are plenty of coffee shops like Tully's, Doutor, etc. I've also cobbled together a conbini breakfast for my jet-lagged self at 6am. So bottom line, business hotels are a great value and it's unlikely that the big chains will offer amenities that justify the price difference. Even when I'm traveling for work I still sometimes stay at the business hotels for the location convenience as well as the experience.
Originally Posted by roberto99
I agree with the wife!

I totally avoid staying at American hotel chains out of the US because I want something different than I get in the US. Also, I don't want to be surrounded by Americans when I'm in another country.

My last time I stayed in the Amsterdam Marriot, I rode in the elevator and heard another young American state, "I can't believe I got $1,000 in roaming charges from that week in Moscow!"

I'd rather experience more local things than another "American environment"
Thanks! although I still like the amenities US chains provide, I'm thinking it's not worth it. Although this is going to be our first international travel with the kids, so I don't really know how much space for the kids, space to relax, or actual soundproof walls we need... but thinking of $$, I don't think US chains can beat the cost performance that Japanese business hotels can provide.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:24 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by smorris76
I can tell you that the Courtyard in Ginza offers no benefits above Japanese business hotels other than earning Marriott points.
Having stayed in Moxy / Courtyard in Tokyo and Kyoto I agree with you after a recent trip! The only major difference was having a gym / exercise room, which I did take advantage of but honestly, not worth the maybe $75 premium you pay above a business hotel?

Also you're competing for rooms with US business travelers and points seekers, where there are probably 2-3x more rooms in these other equally suitable chain hotels.

I stayed in a Hotel Route Inn (chain, business hotels) and it was functionally equivalent, without the signature scent, hipster lobby, and momentary greeting, but with a nice breakfast included. Or as others suggested, Dormy Inn, APA Hotels, and the like. I would stay again, for $50-60 / night, no regrets.
hypebeast likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
The only major difference was having a gym / exercise room, which I did take advantage of but honestly, not worth the maybe $75 premium you pay above a business hotel?
A day pass at a Gold's gym in Ginza is 3,150 JPY for one person / single use. If you're a couple that works out twice a day, the hotel with a free guest gym might look like a good deal, but if that's you ... irony of ironies ... you might not find the guest gym satisfactory.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by koi
Does Marriott have resort locations in Japan? I didn't know they did
I believe there are a few in Okinawa and major ski towns. The Marriott Japan thread would be the place to ask Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by freecia
I believe there are a few in Okinawa and major ski towns. The Marriott Japan thread would be the place to ask Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward
Also the Sheraton Grande Ocean Resort in Miyazaki which doesn’t quite fit any of the normal categories.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The price to value ratio for western chains versus local hotels is the worst in Japan compared to any other country I’ve visited.

Absolutely ridiculous to pay 3x the price of a Japanese Business hotel for a Hilton/Marriott in Japan. Definitely not worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.