Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Clearance from Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Pre Clearance from Japan?

I'm reading/hearing different things. Is there pre clearance to the US from Japan?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
No.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/precleara...ound%20flights.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Where did you hear that there is US CBP preclearance from Japan?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:43 am

Good! Otherwise, I'd never take another direct flight from Japan to the United States again, ever.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenc3
Where did you hear that there is US CBP preclearance from Japan?
From someone in CBP. When I told them that it wasn't listed they said that government web sites are never updated.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Good! Otherwise, I'd never take another direct flight from Japan to the United States again, ever.
Why would you find Pre clearance a hinderance?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by SeatOfMyPants
From someone in CBP. When I told them that it wasn't listed they said that government web sites are never updated.
The web page states "Last Modified: January 11, 2023"

Either the page is full of lies or "someone in CBP" is at odds with reality. I suspect the latter. You should continue pumping them for information, stock recommendations, racing tips, and the like. There's a chance that they're completely wrong about everything, which would make them very useful indeed.
LapLap and aquanine like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:13 pm

I assume the OP has a US passport or other document that allows them to clear immigration quickly on arrival in the US. In such cases, pre-clearance may be an unwelcome "hurry up and wait," process at the departure airport, with no appreciable benefit at the arrival airport.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:06 pm

(Not the OP) I live in New York and so my first port of entry in the US (i.e. JFK or EWR) is always my final destination, i.e. I am never making an onward domestic connection.

Because of that, for me preclearance has no benefits. If I have to have a long wait at US immigration I'd rather do it upon arrival -- there's no possibility of missing any onward flight, whereas with preclearance if I don't allot enough time for immigration or if the processing is slow/delayed, there's the real possibility of missing a flight.

(Naturally, it's reversed if you are making an onward domestic connection. Preclearance then has clear benefits in that you don't have to pick up your bag at the first port of entry, and the connection time can be tighter and is more predictable without having to do passport control and customs. But as I said above, I'm never in this situation -- if I can't fly nonstop to NYC from my origin it means connecting at a large international hub abroad, not another airport in the US.)

Airports with preclearance also have to segregate US-bound passengers from all other international (and domestic) passengers, and this can lead to the gate area being small/cramped or without as many facilities, which I also don't love.
lsquare, Topcare and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Even flying from a US Base on a USG plane won't get you Pre-Cleared. Same with going from a US Navy port on a ship. Even from a Coast Guard base is the same drill, that's in spite of the fact that all USCG commissioned, warrant and petty officers are legally Customs Agents. Unless you are coming from a Pre-Clearance site, essentially airports only, you'll need to clear CBP. Depending on where/when/how you're coming in it can be just a quick couple of questions or the full monte.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
DHS explored expanding preclearance with Japan way back in 2015
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/...0-new-airports

But it seems nothing came out of it
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by andrewesque
(Not the OP) I live in New York and so my first port of entry in the US (i.e. JFK or EWR) is always my final destination, i.e. I am never making an onward domestic connection.

Because of that, for me preclearance has no benefits. If I have to have a long wait at US immigration I'd rather do it upon arrival -- there's no possibility of missing any onward flight, whereas with preclearance if I don't allot enough time for immigration or if the processing is slow/delayed, there's the real possibility of missing a flight.

(Naturally, it's reversed if you are making an onward domestic connection. Preclearance then has clear benefits in that you don't have to pick up your bag at the first port of entry, and the connection time can be tighter and is more predictable without having to do passport control and customs. But as I said above, I'm never in this situation -- if I can't fly nonstop to NYC from my origin it means connecting at a large international hub abroad, not another airport in the US.)

Airports with preclearance also have to segregate US-bound passengers from all other international (and domestic) passengers, and this can lead to the gate area being small/cramped or without as many facilities, which I also don't love.
I rather clear immigration on US soil myself.
Visconti likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewesque
(Not the OP)
This is my situation,unfortunately. Going to have to hustle through LAX. Oh well. It is what it is.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:36 am

As other posters have observed, and in addition to having GE entering the USA generally takes less than 2 minutes and there's hardly ever a line--these days, just take pic, and exit. Regarding transfers, I rarely have to after return from SE Asia; and, even if I did, having Clear makes this very quick & easy.

So, while I appreciate in your case pre-clearance would be beneficial, it only needlessly inconveniences me, diminishes the airport experience, and all the while increasing the risk of missing a long haul flight, which unlike domestic flights where I could easily change or replace, usually absent of any fees.

So, yeah, after my first and hopefully last pre-clearance experience leaving DUB, I'm determined to never go through this process again, ever.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I rather clear immigration on US soil myself.
Seriously, right?! Having to leave the comfort of the JL F lounge only to get in line for what I'd imagine to be at least 60 minutes, and then be rewarded by roaming around a mini-terminal for all US bound pax. Ah, no thanks!
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 17, 2023 at 9:58 am Reason: added PS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.