Shibamata (柴又)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shibamata (柴又)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Shibamata (柴又)

Recently I made a quick trip (it is not much of a trip, more like strolling around) to Shibamata. I always wanted to see Shibamata. Shibamata is in the Katsushika ward of Tokyo, the area called Shitamachi (下町) of Tokyo. Shibamata is not particularly known by non-Japanese tourists, but Shibamata is well known by the Japanese due to the Japanese movie Otokowatsuraiyo (男はつらいよ). This movie was first released in 1969 and a total of 50 series of Otokowatsuraiyo movies were made, it was a quite popular movie in Japan. The main character of the movie was always played by Kiyoshi Atsumi (who passed away in 1996), the main character's half-sister was always played by Chieko Baisho, and the movie was always directed by Youji Yamada. The main character's home was Shibamata. The movie usually starts at Shibamata, the main character leaves Shibamata to travel around Japan, butting into strangers' business, ended up solving the problems of strangers, and returns to Shibamata. Old fashion feel good story movie.

Shibamata is a Monzenmachi (門前町). a town formed around a shrine or a temple. Narita and Asakusa are other examples of monzenmachi in Japan. Shibamata is far smaller monzenmachi compares with Narita or Asakusa. Shibamata can be reached by Keisei Line (the railway line which Skyliner runs to Narita Airport). From Ueno or subway Asakusa Line, transfer at Keisei Takasago station to Keisei Kanamachi Line. The next stop from Keisei Takasago on Keisai Kanamachi Line is Shibamata.

Shibamata station on Keisei Kanamachi Line

Shibamata is a small station serving local residents. At the front of the station is two statues of the main character and the main character's half-sister in the movie Otokowatsuraiyo.
Torajirou Kuruma played by Kiyoshi Atsumi

Sakura played by Michiko Baisho

The shop area called Sando (typical of monzenmachi) from Shibamata station leads to Shibamata Taishakuten temple. Asakusa and Narita have the same setting where a road surrounded by shops leads to a shrine/temple.

Taishakutenn Sando at Shibamata has old Edo style housing where it is designated as Bunkazai (文化財, cultural properties) by the Agency of Cultural Affairs.

At the end of sando is Shibamata Taishakuten.

Shibamata Taishakuten is not a large temple like Asakusa or Narita. But Shibamata Taishakuten is not busy with tourists like Asakusa or Narita. Able to enjoy walking around the temple in quiet serenity which is supposed to be for temples.

A little walk from Shibamata Taishakuten, away from the station, the back side of the temple, is Edo river. Edo river is the border of Tokyo and Chiba prefecture. Skyliner passes through this part of Edo River, you can see Keisei Skyliner on the bridge in the picture.

There is a small boat crossing called Yagiri-no-Watashi (矢切の渡し) at this location of Edo River. Such boat crossing of Edo river is not necessary today but this boat river crossing still remains today because of the movie Otokowatsuraiyo, the main character always leaves Shibamata and returns to Shibamata by this boat crossing. Also, there was a popular song about Yagiri-no-Watashi. Yagiri is a town on the other side of the Edo river from Shibamata.

On the way back I had soba noodle for lunch at the sando. On the way back I took the Keisai Kanamachi line from Shibamata to Kanamachi (next station) and took JR line back.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Dec 1, 2022 at 11:35 am
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: Free agent!
Thanks for the report! I've had this area saved for awhile now as a place I'd like to visit, mainly for the statues and the station area that you photographed. There's also a Tora-san Museum for those who are really into the films: https://www.katsushika-kanko.com/tora/?hl=en
AlwaysAisle likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Thanks for the report! I've had this area saved for awhile now as a place I'd like to visit, mainly for the statues and the station area that you photographed. There's also a Tora-san Museum for those who are really into the films: https://www.katsushika-kanko.com/tora/?hl=en
I knew Shibamata may not be for everybody here at FT. But I would not have guessed somebody here at FT knows about the movie and the main character of the movie Tora-san.
kevincrumbs and 5khours like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: HHD
Thanks for the information, very much appreciated.
Went today with wonderful weather (16C and sunny), those small and quiet streets have my preference. Stopped at the Asakusa shrine on the way back and as it was ritual day, the place was extremely crowded. A lot to see and photograph, but not relaxing.
AlwaysAisle likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for posting this. We will be in Japan in January and like to do some of the non tourist areas and this seems very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.