Amazon.co.jp

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Amazon.co.jp

Wrapping up a nice long trip to Tokyo since Japan reopened and fulfilling the pent up demand. One thing that we really took advantage of during this trip was Amazon Japan. Probably the best Amazon experience I've had anywhere (although my regular Amazon experience is delivering to an island in the middle of the Pacific) and fast speedy delivery with a free month-long trial of Prime. Yamato Transport always delivered the packages as promised to our hotels (sometimes same day delivery if ordering in the morning), and the hotels had no problems accepting and delivering the packages to our rooms. Just thought I'd pass this along for those who are coming to Japan as it did not initially occur to me that this home convenience would be available/accessible to me as a foreigner.
YariGuy and vg247 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wrapping up a nice long trip to Tokyo since Japan reopened and fulfilling the pent up demand. One thing that we really took advantage of during this trip was Amazon Japan. Probably the best Amazon experience I've had anywhere (although my regular Amazon experience is delivering to an island in the middle of the Pacific) and fast speedy delivery with a free month-long trial of Prime. Yamato Transport always delivered the packages as promised to our hotels (sometimes same day delivery if ordering in the morning), and the hotels had no problems accepting and delivering the packages to our rooms. Just thought I'd pass this along for those who are coming to Japan as it did not initially occur to me that this home convenience would be available/accessible to me as a foreigner.
Yep, it is quick, and packages don't go missing from doorsteps either.
You don't even need Prime, as regular shipping is usually the same speed.

Sometimes we don't appreciate how good we have it (Amazon is only in 13 countries).
I spent a year in Australia and was shocked not to have it as an option.
vg247 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:58 pm

I order regularly from Amazon.jp to Canada. Pricing is hard to beat on many things currently shipping included.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Delivery to convenience store for pickup is very easy too. You can even do that at Lawson's in Narita T1 and T3. (Haneda is T2 only though)
slippahs likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
Nice to know, as how some US hotels charged like $15 to accept packages (and this was maybe 10 years ago at the Hilton Hawaiian Village).
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Yep, it is quick, and packages don't go missing from doorsteps either.
You don't even need Prime, as regular shipping is usually the same speed.

Sometimes we don't appreciate how good we have it (Amazon is only in 13 countries).
I spent a year in Australia and was shocked not to have it as an option.
Australia has had Amazon Prime delivery for a while now, but it's still next day + 1 service, ie, order before midnight and you get it sometime two days after.

Amazon Japan Prime offers a selectable four hour delivery window. Order before midnight and you can get it 8am-12pm the next morning. You can use Family Mart as a pick up location, but simpler just to send it to your hotel, indeed some packages can't be sent to Fami.

Well worth signing up for the free prime trial just for this.

And Amazon Japan offers a full English language experience, no need to translate anything.
vg247 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Just to confirm - US Prime membership will work on amazon.co.jp?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Just to confirm - US Prime membership will work on amazon.co.jp?
No - it's its own website. You need to register with a new account, and it will be independent of any other Amazon account you have. In addition to the US website where I have prime, I've ordered from the .jp and .uk sites, and thus have 3 accounts and only the US one has Prime.
vg247 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Free agent
I'm looking into ordering a large suitcase along with toiletries and a few other sundries via Amazon Japan. Would we be able to register and have it delivered to our initial hotel prior to our arrival?

EDIT: For clarity, we'd be arriving at the hotel at about 6pm JST so having it delivered earlier that day.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
No - it's its own website. You need to register with a new account, and it will be independent of any other Amazon account you have. In addition to the US website where I have prime, I've ordered from the .jp and .uk sites, and thus have 3 accounts and only the US one has Prime.
Really? I use Amazon in USA, Japan, and Australia, and they all use a common login, and know all my addresses. Are you using the app or the website?

But yes, you need to purchase prime in each country. I have all three.

There is a big bug in prime video, after adding Australia I lost access to all my channels, eg, Starz, AMC+, etc, it didn't seem to support different countries. And changing you default country won't fix it.
bmwe92fan likes this.

Last edited by austin.d.powers; Nov 1, 2022 at 8:40 am
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by austin.d.powers
Really? I use Amazon in USA, Japan, and Australia, and they all use a common login, and know all my addresses. Are you using the app or the website?
I'm using the website. It's been several years since I've ordered from the non-US websites, so perhaps it's changed since then.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by austin.d.powers

But yes, you need to purchase prime in each country. I have all three.

There is a big bug in prime video, after adding Australia I lost access to all my channels, eg, Starz, AMC+, etc, it didn't seem to support different countries. And changing you default country won't fix it.
Perhaps it works for because you used the same email/pwds?
I set up Amz USA and Amz JPN with different emails/street addresses/payments etc. They are quite different accounts.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Perhaps it works for because you used the same email/pwds?
I set up Amz USA and Amz JPN with different emails/street addresses/payments etc. They are quite different accounts.
I don't know how it happened, but the login was accepted universally without having to re-register, my addresses are synced up on all the sites, same payment (Amazon visa card) and I can switch between all the prime video countries when I want to watch different videos.

When I use the app and want to buy and ship to a different country it asks me to confirm to switch countries.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:05 am

Just checked, never used amazon.co.uk, but it recognises me just fine.

Payments, addresses, everything is there too.

And all the prime memberships show up, I'm not using an overseas account, it's completely native in all countries, I pay zero shipping.

Not sure why your account isn't global. I've had Amazon since 2003. Maybe it is your residential address?

Last edited by austin.d.powers; Nov 2, 2022 at 6:57 am
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I'm looking into ordering a large suitcase along with toiletries and a few other sundries via Amazon Japan. Would we be able to register and have it delivered to our initial hotel prior to our arrival?

EDIT: For clarity, we'd be arriving at the hotel at about 6pm JST so having it delivered earlier that day.
I don't think you'd have any problems at all. Just inform the hotel that you will have a delivery arriving.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.