ANA will codeshare on JAL's domestic Amami Island routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

ANA will codeshare on JAC flights (Japan Air Commuter, JAL group airlines operating under JL flight number and JAL branding) on their 17 Amami Island routes. The codeshare will start on Oct. 30 this year and ticket sales will start on Aug. 30 this year. Currently, ANA does not serve any of Amami Islands, this codeshare will add Amami Islands to the destinations of ANA. Seems to be this is the first time ANA and JAL will codeshare. The routes ANA will codeshare with JAC are:

KOJ (Kagoshima) - TNE (Tanega Island)
FUK (Fukuoka) - KUM (Yaku Island)
KOJ - TKN (Tokuno Island)
KOJ - RNJ (Yoron Island)
ASJ (Amami Ooshima) - KKX (Kikai Island)
TKN - OKE (Okino Erabu Island)
ASJ - RNJ
KOJ - KUM
KOJ - ASJ
KOJ - KKX
KOJ - OKE
ASJ - TKN
KOE - OKA (Naha, Okinawa)
OKE - ASJ

At the same time, ANA will start codeshare on AMX (Amakusa Airline based at Amakusa Airport in Kyushu) on AKJ-KMJ and AKJ-FUK. JAL will start codeshare on ORC (Oriental Air Bridge based at Nagasaki Airport) on NGS-IKI, NGS-TSJ, FUK-FUJ, NGS-FUJ, and FUK-TSJ.

This codeshare is based on the alliance by ANA, JAL, JAC, AMX, and ORC, which is called Essential Air Service Alliance LLP.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: NH*G, Marriott Platinum
Thank You

Thanks a lot for sharing, very interesting since I am planning a trip to OKE soon…
This usually means that it is possible to collect ANA miles also on the JAL operated leg then, isn‘t it ? Will status benefits apply as well (especially luggage allowance) ?

Couldn‘t find much more info online yet, but this is obviously done due to the decline in traffic to these remote locations.
Wondering if this will be really limited to these routes or if it is some sign for more to come between ANA & JAL one day…
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am guessing that ANA and JAL are not in the same alliance, hence FF status benefits do not transfer, benefits will be based on the operating carrier. Also, on the ANA website under domestic checked baggage information it says:
  • As the various handling procedures will be different for flights operated by Japan Air Commuter and Amakusa Airlines, you are kindly requested to see the information on the Japan Air Commuter or Amakusa Airlines page before you travel on such flights.
Looks like ANA elites flying JAC Amami Island flights under ANA codeshare tickets, benefits will be the same as non-JAL elites. (JAL domestic flights have the same baggage allowance as elites and non-elites, only F passengers get more baggage allowance) However, I wonder about the situation like this, ANA elite flying:

HND-(ANA flight)-KOJ-(JAC flight as ANA codeshare)-ASJ

Checking baggage at HND all the way to ASJ. Will ANA elite get a 40 kg allowance all the way to ASJ or 20 kg as based on JAC? Also, due to the cargo hold size of ATR aircraft JAC operates, the maximum length of checked baggage is 210 cm. My guess will be ANA elite traveling on the above flights will have a 20 kg checked baggage allowance with a maximum length of the baggage being 210 cm.

I do think it is possible that there will be other ANA and JAL codeshare, but not extensive. It is interesting that Peach Aviation (MM), LCC owned by ANA, does serve ASJ from NRT and KIX but ANA decided to codeshare with JAL on ASJ flights also.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 29, 2022 at 11:25 am
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: NH*G, Marriott Platinum
Thanks again and there is further info available in meantime:

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...detail/jc.html

Seems mileage ticket could not be booked though and codeshare flight booked on ANA seems more expensive (20 % ?) than booked directly with JAL…

Nice weekend !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.