Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Transit through NRT on two separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Aeroplan, Lifemiles, Virgin

Can I transit through Narita if I have two separate tickets? First leg is Incheon ICN to NRT on Asiana (OZ) and then second leg NRT to Newark EWR on United UA. Both arriving flight and departing flight are out of NRT Terminal 1.

I know no tourists allowed in Japan but was wondering if I could transit through Narita like I planned. Do I need to "connect" the two tickets? Would UA allow for luggage through check?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, optikoo
Originally Posted by optikoo
Can I transit through Narita if I have two separate tickets? First leg is Incheon ICN to NRT on Asiana (OZ) and then second leg NRT to Newark EWR on United UA. Both arriving flight and departing flight are out of NRT Terminal 1.I know no tourists allowed in Japan but was wondering if I could transit through Narita like I planned. ...
Believe it is possible but best for the Japan forum, will move your query

Do I need to "connect" the two tickets? ...
No way to do that

Would UA allow for luggage through check?
OZ as the first carrier would do that. Believe they will but best checked in the OZ forum
optikoo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Can I transit through Narita if I have two separate tickets? First leg is Incheon ICN to NRT on Asiana (OZ) and then second leg NRT to Newark EWR on United UA. Both arriving flight and departing flight are out of NRT Terminal 1.

I know no tourists allowed in Japan but was wondering if I could transit through Narita like I planned. Do I need to "connect" the two tickets? Would UA allow for luggage through check?
Since they are both Star Alliance it is possible -- without baggage this is easy -- with baggage you need to call Asiana to confirm - but this should be very doable.... COVID has changed a lot of things -- pre-COVID I would have said don't worry about it at all -- but I think given the current state of things it's best to call to make sure....
optikoo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Since they are both Star Alliance it is possible -- without baggage this is easy -- with baggage you need to call Asiana to confirm - but this should be very doable.... COVID has changed a lot of things -- pre-COVID I would have said don't worry about it at all -- but I think given the current state of things it's best to call to make sure....
Got it so, with baggage I should call OZ to make sure.

Without baggage do I still need to call? If so, should I call UA or OZ?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:29 pm

Got it so, with baggage I should call OZ to make sure.

Without baggage do I still need to call? If so, should I call UA or OZ?
You need to call the first airline you are flying -- the airline you are checking the baggage with -- because otherwise they will check the baggage to the final destination - NRT -- as they don't know you are travelling somewhere else since you have separate tickets.. Make sure you have a printed copy of your onward ticket from NRT to show the Asiana check in agents so they can properly route your bags....
optikoo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:43 pm

optikoo I've tried to edit my post but the system keeps crashing - Without baggage you don't need to call -- just be prepared to show proof of an onward trip from NRT on the same day (no overnights in NRT) -- or you will be denied boarding as you can't stay in Japan.
optikoo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!!! I was afraid of being denied boarding at ICN. My NRT to EWR flight will depart within a few hours of my landing at NRT.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:02 am

Arriving in Terminal 1& departing in Terminal 2 (with separate tickets)

I want to take this question a bit further.

I’m thinking of booking for next summer 2023:
arriving terminal 1 on Swiss 7:30am
departing terminal 2 on Vietjet 9:30am

is there enough time for transit?

since the 2 airlines have no partnership agreement (as far as I can tell), I would need to pickup baggage and clear immigration and then recheck-in in NRT, right?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by FFSaver
I’m thinking of booking for next summer 2023:
arriving terminal 1 on Swiss 7:30am
departing terminal 2 on Vietjet 9:30am
I think Swiss ETA is actually 7:40? Vietjet's cutoff for checking in might be 60 mins before scheduled departure? With checked bags, it's not a gamble worth taking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.