Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ja70
seems like the photo cutout thing doesnt work in chrome

fyi for i imagine the many people doing this tonight
Worked fine for me in Chrome
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Worked fine for me in Chrome
well ....
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:45 pm

XUEC, did you have your middle name on your ERFS? I didn't and my status is also "examined and accepted".
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Morkai
XUEC, did you have your middle name on your ERFS? I didn't and my status is also "examined and accepted".
We don't have middle names so thankfully avoided that issue!

Is there anyone here traveling earlier than September 23? We are tempted to still keep out roundtrip flight HND to GMP (which was our original plan that involved an overnight layover in HND) JUST IN CASE something happens and we are stopped at immigration. If someone IS traveling earlier than us using JGA or similar method would love to be apprised of your trip and if there are any issues.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:06 pm

Hi! Another new member here - the new changes seem at least vaguely promising.

I currently have a 6-week trip to Korea book, from 9/15 - 10/26. I booked this trip a long time ago, and have been holding out hope that Japan would open up in time for me to hop over there for a couple of weeks (like mid-October). I'm trying to figure out how to do that though - I don't mind having a travel agency actually book my flight and hotel(s). I see lots of talk about JGA and JDT, but most of those discussions seem to revolve around people who want to be able to book their own flights, which seems to be up in the air at the moment.

If I wanted to try to be as "by the book" as possible, does anyone have recommendations as to which travel agencies I should reach out to? Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
I've got a trip that would start on 9/26, so I'm down to the wire hoping this works. Does anyone else going through this process have plans to go to other cities besides Tokyo during their trip? My plans are to go to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, which I'm hoping is allowed. It seems like the Japan Rail pass is still available after a quick Google, which was another piece I wasn't sure would be available given the tourist restrictions. I guess I just need to pull the trigger and pay JGA for the ERFS and start the visa application process. If this works, and I actually get to take my ANA F award flight, I'll be thrilled.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
I've got a trip that would start on 9/26, so I'm down to the wire hoping this works. Does anyone else going through this process have plans to go to other cities besides Tokyo during their trip? My plans are to go to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, which I'm hoping is allowed. It seems like the Japan Rail pass is still available after a quick Google, which was another piece I wasn't sure would be available given the tourist restrictions. I guess I just need to pull the trigger and pay JGA for the ERFS and start the visa application process. If this works, and I actually get to take my ANA F award flight, I'll be thrilled.
i'm in your exact scenario but a week after you, even down to the ANA F flight (and J for the wife)

I anticipate there being no issues with in country travel, as I ALSO plan to go Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo over my 10 days

paid for ERFS tonight. look forward to hearing whether it works for you!
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fluffypancakesenjoyer
Another interesting variable- did anyone else who already booked their trip buy medical insurance for travel? If so, did you buy it before applying for the visa or after? I'm curious if it was a requirement for visa application or not- it seems like travel agencies will otherwise be responsible for any medical costs, so medical insurance is an absolute necessity

"Travel agents, etc. will pay for hospitalization and medical expenses for tour participants if they become positive"
You're right, it is in the new guidelines announce yesterday that the agency would need to cover Covid medical costs if a customer does not do so through their own insurance. It also says the agency should have additional insurance for themselves just in case

・旅行業者又は旅行サービス手配業者は、ツアー参加者が陽性者となった場合の入院医療費については、自治体 から当該陽性者に対し、加入している民間医療保険の補償額の範囲内で自己負担を求められる旨、ツアー参加者 に対して説明すること。
(※)旅行業者又は旅行サービス手配業者は、ツアー参加者が陽性者や濃厚接触者となった場合に発生する諸費 用を補償範囲に含む保険へ加入することが望ましい。.

Did anyone applying with JGA get asked about insurance? How about anyone who already traveled with them before?

This would be a massive gamble for JGA if not requiring it for ERFS sponsorship, to the point that they may literally be looking to someday take the money and run.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by ja70
i'm in your exact scenario but a week after you, even down to the ANA F flight (and J for the wife)

I anticipate there being no issues with in country travel, as I ALSO plan to go Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo over my 10 days

paid for ERFS tonight. look forward to hearing whether it works for you!
Good luck to you as well! I just paid JGA, so we'll see how this all goes. I'm willing to pay ~$210 to them if everything else goes off without a hitch. I'll be sure to report back how things go.

Originally Posted by alan11
You're right, it is in the new guidelines announce yesterday that the agency would need to cover Covid medical costs if a customer does not do so through their own insurance. It also says the agency should have additional insurance for themselves just in case

・旅行業者又は旅行サービス手配業者は、ツアー参加者が陽性者となった場合の入院医療費については、自治体 から当該陽性者に対し、加入している民間医療保険の補償額の範囲内で自己負担を求められる旨、ツアー参加者 に対して説明すること。

Did anyone applying with JGA get asked about insurance? How about anyone who already traveled with them before?

This would be a massive gamble for JGA if not requiring it for ERFS sponsorship, to the point that they may literally be looking to someday take the money and run.
JGA did not ask anything about insurance when I completed their application a few minutes ago.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:16 pm

As it stands, I'm not comfortable with specifying a detailed itinerary that I'm unlikely to stick to.

In addition, given the regulations say the agent needs to assess the suitability of places the tourist attends, I would be concerned about listing busy tourist destinations such as Tokyo Disneyland, busy restaurants, etc.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Annoying that Evisa is only for North Americans
lx343 and Travel-Quinten like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
[...]
My best guess is that the key to all of this is the word "guidelines". These aren't laws and anybody not following the guidelines can't be punished for it. At least not directly. The risk for JGA probably is that they could be blocked in the future from issuing ERFS. A gamble that might be worth it, if you assume that ERFS will be required only for a couple more months and they can make bank now.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:08 am

I did not get asked by insurance, but I did apply before the additional info came out. Still, even after , they didn't email me to ask for anything. For the sake of being fully prepared, I'll bring proof of my own insurance when I apply for my visa- but that's more me being paranoid because my country has infernal bureaucracy. As far as I'm aware though, it's definitely heavily encouraged to get insurance, so it may be possible that immigration checks for it

Originally Posted by [color=#333333
MotelRomeo]I've got a trip that would start on 9/26, so I'm down to the wire hoping this works. Does anyone else going through this process have plans to go to other cities besides Tokyo during their trip? My plans are to go to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, which I'm hoping is allowed. It seems like the Japan Rail pass is still available after a quick Google, which was another piece I wasn't sure would be available given the tourist restrictions. I guess I just need to pull the trigger and pay JGA for the ERFS and start the visa application process. If this works, and I actually get to take my ANA F award flight, I'll be thrilled.[/color]
My trip is even earlier, and I also originally planned Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. I'm considering taking Kyoto out of the itinerary though, because those are also hotels booked in my name. I wonder if my partner ( japanese) books it and I tag along that would work as a loophole as long as it's technically on my itinerary. But in other cases, I assume going to other cities should be fine as long as you mention it
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:48 am

I received my ERFS last night from JGA after about a 5 hour turnaround. I filled out the eVisa application this morning. Application number is 92##. Now I sit back and wait to see how this all shakes out.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:32 am

One of the Canadian travel bloggers is going through the JGA process. Seems like he got his Visa turned around in pretty quick fashion as well.

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/japa...an-travellers/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.