Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: HHD
Question about stopover:
We will be flying to Japan and have a stopover of 8 hours in a EU airport.
The PCR test will be within 72 at departure from our starting airport, but outside the 72 hour window when boarding to Japan. That is allowed, but we wonder if we are allowed to leave the airport and do some sightseeing? If connecting to ANA it is not, but we will be flying the same airline on the connecting fligth and the flight to Japan.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Stephan54
Question about stopover:
We will be flying to Japan and have a stopover of 8 hours in a EU airport.
The PCR test will be within 72 at departure from our starting airport, but outside the 72 hour window when boarding to Japan. That is allowed, but we wonder if we are allowed to leave the airport and do some sightseeing? If connecting to ANA it is not, but we will be flying the same airline on the connecting fligth and the flight to Japan.
If you have your third dose of vaccine, you don't need a PCR test though.

But yes, PCR test is 72 hours before the departure of the first flight. And no one will know, nor mind, whether or not you left the airport at the stop over point. Unless it is a country that would stamp your passport.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:15 am

Thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Delete

Last edited by TravisMT81; Dec 3, 2022 at 10:32 am
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:37 am

An addition to my question, which could be useful for those travelling with a pcr test to Japan.

We will fly from Germany via Warsaw to Japan. Our PCR test is valid when checking in in Germany, but expires during our long stopover in Warsaw. Not a problem as Poland has no immigration procedures for EU citizens. Can we visit Warsaw to kill some time. CPH-Flyer points out that it is hard to check our whereabouts and I guess he is right. Anyway the Japanese authorities think differently and say we have to stay at the airport or take another test.

This message is from the Quarantine Documentation Center (QDC) in Japan.

If you transiting through a country without immigration procedures,
the starting point to count “72 hours before departure” will be the time you leave a country from which the passenger originally departed.

However,if you go out of the airport, or stay at the hotel located outside of the airport upon
transition, the starting point to count “72 hours before departure” will be the time you leave
a transit country you originally departed. Therefore, if 72 hours have passed since you obtained a certificate at a departure country before you leave the transit country, you need to be tested again to obtain a certificate in the transit country.

Quarantine Documentation Center (QDC)
https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
An addition to my question, which could be useful for those travelling with a pcr test to Japan.

We will fly from Germany via Warsaw to Japan. Our PCR test is valid when checking in in Germany, but expires during our long stopover in Warsaw. Not a problem as Poland has no immigration procedures for EU citizens. Can we visit Warsaw to kill some time. CPH-Flyer points out that it is hard to check our whereabouts and I guess he is right. Anyway the Japanese authorities think differently and say we have to stay at the airport or take another test.

This message is from the Quarantine Documentation Center (QDC) in Japan.

If you transiting through a country without immigration procedures,
the starting point to count “72 hours before departure” will be the time you leave a country from which the passenger originally departed.

However,if you go out of the airport, or stay at the hotel located outside of the airport upon
transition, the starting point to count “72 hours before departure” will be the time you leave
a transit country you originally departed. Therefore, if 72 hours have passed since you obtained a certificate at a departure country before you leave the transit country, you need to be tested again to obtain a certificate in the transit country.

Quarantine Documentation Center (QDC)
https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

Your stop over needs to be less than 24 hours, or the departure from Warsaw will count as the point where you are heading to Japan. And you need a PCR test with 72 hours of departure from Warsaw.

The reason I said it would be OK, is i read it as a long connection, ie hours. But that might be my misunderstanding.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Your stop over needs to be less than 24 hours, or the departure from Warsaw will count as the point where you are heading to Japan. And you need a PCR test with 72 hours of departure from Warsaw.

The reason I said it would be OK, is i read it as a long connection, ie hours. But that might be my misunderstanding.
No misunderstanding on your side: the stop over is 10 - 11 hours. Long time to hang around an airport, but not worth the risk of breaking the rules. I emailed the Japanese authorities giving my precise flights and arrival - departure times and I think they took that into account when answering.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No misunderstanding on your side: the stop over is 10 - 11 hours. Long time to hang around an airport, but not worth the risk of breaking the rules. I emailed the Japanese authorities giving my precise flights and arrival - departure times and I think they took that into account when answering.
Technically, they are right. Practically, no one will know. A solution could be to get the PCR test a bit closer to departure from Germany.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:15 am

So what QR codes do we need to show upon arrival, immigration and declaration? Can we save these ones offline or print the page?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nh27
So what QR codes do we need to show upon arrival, immigration and declaration? Can we save these ones offline or print the page?
It is web based, so you'll need a connection. The airports has pretty good WiFi though.
nh27 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:58 am

Trying to complete the VJW website and it keeps putting in the Hotel’s phon number as an unchangeable field for the quarantine information.

Should I just click continue or is this very important/they check?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 10:14 am

I just continued, I assumed it was the hotels contact number as it was on this part of the step but like you I couldn't change it elsewhere afterwards.

Don't think it should be a problem? My application went through all okay and I got blue status now so I'm guessing it wasn't an issue.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by nh27
I just continued, I assumed it was the hotels contact number as it was on this part of the step but like you I couldn't change it elsewhere afterwards.

Don't think it should be a problem? My application went through all okay and I got blue status now so I'm guessing it wasn't an issue.
I thought that to be vague, too (the part it asked for a contact number). But then as I progressed in the app, it was more clear that they wanted a mobile number, since they didn't ask for it anywhere else in the VJW app.

Having already once entered Japan with VJW, I'm pretty sure that no texts were sent after leaving the airport; it's all just for making more seamless one's entry into the country ... seamless in this case meaning paper-free, not queue-free.
​​​​
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
I thought that to be vague, too (the part it asked for a contact number). But then as I progressed in the app, it was more clear that they wanted a mobile number, since they didn't ask for it anywhere else in the VJW app.

Having already once entered Japan with VJW, I'm pretty sure that no texts were sent after leaving the airport; it's all just for making more seamless one's entry into the country ... seamless in this case meaning paper-free, not queue-free.
​​​​
my concern is that it doesn’t let me change the phone number though. Even if I edit my own page.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:08 am

Update: we arrived at Narita and were given a yellow paper at the aircraft door after being checked for the blue quarantine screen. From that point on it was a walk to immigration, but the route was lined with an amazing amount of staff. Doing nothing more than telling you to move on. After having received the yellow paper we were not checked again for having complied with the quarantine/pcr rules. Immigration was busy, but all booths were open and it took relatively little time. Customs was quiet, so from disembarkation to the NEX took less than an hour. In Warsaw we did not leave the airport and spent our time in their excellent lounge.
TravisMT81 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.