Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rooftop Beer Gardens

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 9:14 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Rooftop Beer Gardens

A Tokyo rooftop beer garden, July 1973

This is what a Tokyo rooftop beer garden looked like in 1973. One year later, in the summer of 1974, they hadn't changed one iota and this is exactly how I remember them, but this no-frills style was still lots of fun and can even be found today. That said, today there's a much greater variety of rooftop beer gardens and outdoor bars that did not exist in the 70s, such as the ones pictured below. Although I haven't been to a rooftop beer garden in a number of years, now that summer is only about 6 weeks away, I look forward to finding some good ones to pass a hot summer night at. Of course, one can find many rooftop beer gardens with an online Google search, I thought this could be a thread where people could share the names and locations of memorable rooftop (outdoor) beer gardens and bars (anywhere in Japan) that they have actually been to that they recommend and share their experiences or give a short review.

Roppongi BBQ Beer Garden- ARK HILLS SOUTH TOWER ROOFTOP LOUNGE” at Akasaka, Roppongi

Sky Beer Garden, Hilton Hotel, Shinjuku

My first rooftop beer garden experience was at the Takashimaya Department Store in Nihonbashi in the late summer of '74. Although my memory of it is somewhat sketchy, I recall it looking very much like the top 1973 photo, even though Takashimaya is considered an exclusive department store, it had a no-frills feel to it compared to most of the beer gardens of today. IIRC, there were Japanese paper lanterns hanging overhead with the name of the draft beer being served emblazoned on lanterns as an advertisement. I'm sure the beermakers supplied these lanterns to the beer gardens for free. I recall that waitresses came to the table to take orders and that the menu was limited to several staple items such as fried potatoes, sausages, yakitori, yakisoba, etc. It was a very new experience for me that I really enjoyed. In those days, beer gardens were most often found on the roofs of department stores but today they are more often found on the roofs and terraces of hotels and tall buildings. Takashimaya still has a rooftop beer garden that operates during the summer but it is very different from the one that I first experienced.

Takashimaya Department Store, Nihonbashi, Tokyo

Takashimaya's rooftop beer garden today, with private grills for each table
okliono, seigex, Doppy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; May 8, 2022 at 4:23 am
Old May 7, 2022, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Deleted

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; May 7, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Old May 9, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
The beer garden is something I have not heard about for a while, I am sure it is still around. Yes, I remember beer gardens in the Tokyo area meant rooftops of department stores. I remember beer gardens in the Tokyo area were marketed as casual places where you stop by with coworkers after work. Looks as if today's beer gardens in Tokyo are a little more fancy places, even for dates? I really do not think beer gardens in Tokyo back in '70s and '80s were a place for a date. Possible that department stores started beer gardens to bring more people to department stores. Department stores in Tokyo were, and I think still are, a place for slightly upper-scale shopping, not an everyday shopping place. Beer gardens in Japan are summer outdoor things, no indoor beer gardens in Japan.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Ikebukuro Seibu Roof garden ( decorated for the christmas holidays) taken on a damp November 2019 morning ( there was a water lilly garden also)

Rooftop Garden on a damp November 2019 morning

Water lilly garden

Regards

TBS
Nagasaki Joe and pudgym29 like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Hands down, my favorite beer garden in Tokyo is the Sekirei at the Meiji Kinenkan: https://www.meijikinenkan.gr.jp/restaurant/sekirei.html
Old May 9, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I love these pictures, and pictures posted in the other threads. I think we should have a pictures of Japan thread in this forum. I know I have a lot that I'd like to share that don't necessarily fit in to the existing threads.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Beer gardens in Japan are summer outdoor things, no indoor beer gardens in Japan.
Yes, I think that's generally true. Most of the Ginza department stores operated rooftop beer gardens back in the 70s and 80s and perhaps still do today. However, Lion has operated indoor German-style beer halls in Tokyo since 1934 (according to their website). They have many in Tokyo but many of them tend to be at the basement level. Here's the Ginza beer hall, which I have been to before.

Lion Beer Hall in Ginza (on 1st floor)

Lion Ginza Beer Hall

Originally Posted by Pickles
Hands down, my favorite beer garden in Tokyo is the Sekirei at the Meiji Kinenkan: https://www.meijikinenkan.gr.jp/restaurant/sekirei.html
Very nice indeed. The lawn looks a lot like the one outside the Terrace Restaurant at the Hotel Okura.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
I love these pictures, and pictures posted in the other threads. I think we should have a pictures of Japan thread in this forum. I know I have a lot that I'd like to share that don't necessarily fit in to the existing threads.
Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but here is an existing Japan Photography thread
seigex and The _Banking_Scot like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Yes, I think that's generally true. Most of the Ginza department stores operated rooftop beer gardens back in the 70s and 80s and perhaps still do today. However, Lion has operated indoor German-style beer halls in Tokyo since 1934 (according to their website). They have many in Tokyo but many of them tend to be at the basement level. Here's the Ginza beer hall, which I have been to before.
Thank you for the post about Ginza Lion, I totally forgot about this beer hall at Ginza. Ginza Lion also has a beer hall at Shinjuku (website in Japanese only but a lot of pictures), which according to their website it opened in 1937 as Ebisu Beer Garden. Ginza Lion has a restaurant at Haneda Airport Terminal 1, and I have stopped by there a few times when flying JAL domestic just because of nostalgia.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:48 am

Been to this no frills one in kyoto.

https://www.kyoto-towerhotel.jp/restaurant/beergarden/#

and this one in Osaka that appears to be closed now.

https://www.dynac-japan.com/shop/beergarden/dojima/ and sadly used to pop into the www whiskey shop also before it closed years earlier

Same for this place that might also be done.

https://www.hankyu-hotel.com/hotel/h...nts/beergarden
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Not a beer hall, but I've been to TY Harbor Brewery/Brew Pub/Restaurant in Tennozu Isle to drink some beer brewed there.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; May 10, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Old May 10, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska

Not a beer hall, but I've been to TY Harbor Brewery/Brew Pub/Restaurant in Tennozu Isle to drink some beer brewed there.
I used to live right down the street from there -- they used to have the best brunch in town!
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

My wife and I love the Bvlgari Rooftop bar -- but it's been closed a lot due to COVID. My wife loves Champagne -- and I love that we can walk / crawl home easily to Hatchobori....
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I used to live right down the street from there -- they used to have the best brunch in town!
I really enjoyed my visit there and will return when Japan reopens. Unlike most who were there to eat it seems, I visited to try their various beers and the servers were rather interested in making sure I tried every beer they were currently serving (and some they weren’t) while only charging me for a couple of draws. One brewmaster type person had visited one of my local breweries here in Alaska while on a cruise and spent some time discussing the brewery operation.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

St. Regis Osaka has a very nice beer garden on its 12th floor outdoor terrace overlooking a Japanese rock garden. As it does not appear to be advertised yet for this year, here's a link to their 2019 summer beer garden menus with varied options. https://suposaka.net/%E3%80%90st-reg...-april-26-fri/
I was there a few years ago and really enjoyed it with free-flowing beer, wine, Mumm Grand Cordon champagne, cocktail options along with food. My review can be read here: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ka-review-3335

St. Regis Osaka outdoor beer garden

St. Regis Osaka outdoor rock garden

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; May 11, 2022 at 12:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.