FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Solid but inexpensive hotels in Tokyo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/2070217-solid-but-inexpensive-hotels-tokyo.html)

seigex Feb 27, 2022 12:02 pm

Solid but inexpensive hotels in Tokyo

For those of us who will have to start paying for hotels as borders open up due to decimated points balances thanks to lack of work travel during COVID, what recommendations do you all have for cheaper hotels in great locations but won't break the bank for more than 2 weeks of staying? Especially, hotels different from the standard western ones (Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Continental, etc...)

I have a Moxy Kinshicho stay coming up soon, using the last of my Bonvoy points, and was able to get a fairly good price. Nice hotel. That said, I will be back in Japan often and left consulting during COVID, so travel will be very limited with the new job and I what few points I get back will be coming from credit cards.

I'm looking for hotels with maybe basic amenities, comfortable bed, a desk and good Wi-Fi to work from with my laptop, but most importantly centrally located in a great neighborhood and near train stations.

I know this is kind of broad, but I'm hoping to see lots of recommendations, based on experience, that people can use for when they're booking their trips going forward.

Thanks!

MSPeconomist Feb 27, 2022 12:33 pm

Look at some of the local chains of business hotels. There's a Washington something one next to the Big Sight (convention center on the island) and another one (I forget the name) next to the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. You should expect a small room with a small bathroom, TV mounted on the wall, vending machines, and a clientele that expects good wifi.

Another idea would be the less expensive properties in the Prince (Japanese) chain.

There are boutique hotels in Japan too. For example, there's a newish one across the major side street from the Imperial Hotel

For a longer stay, International House if you can get a reservation. The Tokyo one is in Roppongi while in Osaka it's near the old (non-science) campus of Osaka University.

seigex Feb 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 34029854)
Look at some of the local chains of business hotels. There's a Washington something one next to the Big Sight (convention center on the island) and another one (I forget the name) next to the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. You should expect a small room with a small bathroom, TV mounted on the wall, vending machines, and a clientele that expects good wifi.

Another idea would be the less expensive properties in the Prince (Japanese) chain.

There are boutique hotels in Japan too. For example, there's a newish one across the major side street from the Imperial Hotel

For a longer stay, International House if you can get a reservation. The Tokyo one is in Roppongi while in Osaka it's near the old (non-science) campus of Osaka University.

Thanks for the reply MSPeconomist. Out of the list, I've stayed at the prince hotels, specifically the one across from the Shinagawa station. It was very comfortable, hotel was nice, even with tiny rooms. And couldn't beat be across the street from the Yamanote line.

Boutique hotels seem very interesting to me. I've noticed the "b" hotels around (red square with a lowercase b in it) in different places, and online pictures look like they're modernish and they have some pretty good hotels, location-wise.

paperwastage Feb 27, 2022 2:46 pm

I've been a big fan of Tokyu stay (many of their rooms have built in washer/dryer combo), though many business hotels offer washer/dryers in the common areas

some rooms have space with proper desks&chairs, while some are more basic. a few even have stove/fridge/microwave, ~60-120usd/night
https://www.tokyustay.co.jp/e/hotels/

EDIT: google maps of the locations, see how close they are to subway station/transport

Really depends on what neighbourhood you want? Or are you looking to try different areas every time? Tokyo's public transit/trains are pretty good and widespread

seigex Feb 27, 2022 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 34030193)
I've been a big fan of Tokyu stay (many of their rooms have built in washer/dryer combo), though many business hotels offer washer/dryers in the common areas

some rooms have space with proper desks&chairs, while some are more basic. ~60-120usd/night

Really depends on what neighbourhood you want? Or are you looking to try different areas every time? Tokyo's public transit/trains are pretty good and widespread

The washer/dryer combo is interesting, usually a pain to either handwash or go find a coinwash. The Moxy does have a washer/dryer room, which was super useful when I stayed there in 2020. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm agnostic to neighborhood, more interested closeness to train stations on good lines access, like Yamanote, or the Tokyo Metro, and nearby food/entertainment. I'm well-versed in using Tokyo's public transportation but being at the Hyatt Regency or Park Hyatt for example, it's a 15-minute walk to Shinjuku station, which can be a pain (especially during the summer), and I hear the shuttle has been decommissioned anyway and being in a business neighborhood, there's not really much to do without trecking to the station or the areas around it like Kabukicho. And there's a smaller subway station a bit closer (Nishi-Shinjuku-Gochome Station), but it adds some transfers to really get anywhere. The Moxy is a couple minute walk from the Chuo-Sobu line, but it's still pricy for long stays ($160+/ni).

That said, this thread isn't meant to be specific to me, but a place where people can post hotels that aren't standard to FT for future reference for others in my situation, so feel free to post any recommendations you have. There are thousands of hotels around, and I don't really trust reviews, so personal experiences on the less common hotels from FTers who have stayed at them would be useful info imho.

paperwastage Feb 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Forgot to mention too, a lot of hotels targeting the domestic Japanese business travelers, only do reservations 3-6 months out (unlike chain hotels doing ~360 days out)

Sometimes you see weird packages (hotel room plus 2500yen gift card to somewhere, probably because the business reimburse the package rate while the traveler gets the benefit)

I guess it's not much different to the packages that chain hotels sometimes have

od_sf Feb 27, 2022 5:06 pm

A couple of suggestions:

Pullman Tokyo Tamachi is a very nice, relatively new 4-star hotel with incredibly affordable rates - one of the best C/P hotels in Tokyo, IMO. The direct area is a bit boring, but the hotel is a 2-minute walk to Tamachi station (Yamanote line).

https://all.accor.com/hotel/B137/index.en.shtml

The Royal Park Shiodome - decent 4-star, nice views, very cheap rates. Shiodome station is downstairs, Shimbashi station (with easy access to all of the city) is a 5-minute walk. Easy walking distance to Shimbashi, Toranomon, Ginza, Tsukiji.

https://www.the-royalpark.jp/the/tokyoshiodome/

freecia Feb 27, 2022 5:49 pm

What do you like to do while in Tokyo when not working? Staying near that would save a good bit of time and train squeezes during commute hours.

As you said, there are a lot of hotels. Perhaps you're looking more for a list of value-for-money Japanese business hotel chains which would be comfortable for working in? My national chain favorites other than Tokyu Stay include Dormy Inn, Richmond, and Daiwa Roynet. I haven't been tempted by a Dormy in Tokyo, though a few have opened since I last checked https://www.hotespa.net/dormyinn/list/tokyo.html. A friend likes the Toyoko Inn chain as it fairly consistent and clean. I've also found JR line hotels to be pretty good value & close/attached to train stations. Looks like JR East opened Hotel Mets on top of Akihabara Station including two room types which have a balcony (but backless stool instead of backed chair for mini desk or small side table + mini couch)

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 34030193)

some rooms have space with proper desks&chairs, while some are more basic. ~60-120usd/night

I'm also a Tokyu Stay fan. For those on a budget who want to be on the East side, the Shimbashi location isn't too far of a walk from the station and Shimbashi station is well connected. The surrounding food options are open a bit later for salary men which would probably be comfortable for solo stays for those who prefer to eat out. "Residential" rooms also come with a hot plate & few basic cookware for cooking in room. Most room categories also have microwaves and basic dishes + cutlery for leftovers or take away vs normal business hotels with shared hallway microwave & no cutlery.

Tokyu Stay Premier Ginza near Higashi Ginza station is a quick walk to the subway station which connects underground to Ginza and Hibiya. It is across the corner from the Mitsui Garden Hotel and a few other hotels have opened up in that area like Super Hotel Premier Ginza, AC Hotel by Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott, and Agora Tokyo Ginza. There's plenty of food options including department store bento for those on budgets (or prefer not to eat-in & not combini), though IMO it does run towards the more gourmet side. It is on the pricier side compared to some of the other Tokyu Stays as it comes with a few extra toiletries in the lobby and daily cleaning option (at least pre-covid). I'd also say that while the location is close to the shopping of Ginza or a quick subway ride to Nihombashi, it can feel a bit corporate, crowded, or overly touristed.

Kinshicho's been on my list of areas to look for a hotel as it has a lot of activity but a little less touristed. It's near a Seijo Ishi and has a lot of food & shopping options. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33337468-post12.html Er, I admit I go there for the several rather large 100 yen chain stores.

Tokyu Stay Takanawa opened up a few years ago and is right by Sengakuji station, ~ 8 min walk to the new Takanawa Gateway station on JR Yamanote & Keihin Tohoku. The neighborhood looks to have a more residential feel x larger than average JP biz rooms (18 - 23 sq m) which is what I'd be looking for on extended Tokyo stays with WF Hotel time, especially if working in a US time zone so I could enjoy a daily walk without too much crowding. Many of the core tourist district single hotel rooms are between 13-18 sq m.

My personal preference is for more slightly quiet residential feel when I have time to enjoy a neighborhood and not a lot of specific sightseeing/shopping to do. I'd appreciate recommendations for apartment hotels in such neighborhoods. The Monzen Nakacho location is older but near Ito Yokado Kiba. Toyosu to Ariake has also oddly been on my neighborhood list, despite being industrial and former Olympic village area, thus not "cute" but near Aeon Shionome & Muji Ariake. There are a few new hotels and resorts in those areas, too, but may add commute time and not what you'd consider good metro line.

If you'd be open to biking https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...hood-stay.html

YariGuy Feb 27, 2022 6:48 pm

I find the APA chain to be pretty good as well. I've also stayed at Toyoko Inn and Tokyu and find them in the same clean, convenient, but small range.

One tip is that if you're not signing up for their membership programs. I know Toyoko Inn gives discounts to members. If you don't, booking through hotels.com gives a straight-forward stay 10 nights get one free scheme.

paperwastage Feb 27, 2022 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy (Post 34030692)
I find the APA chain to be pretty good as well. I've also stayed at Toyoko Inn and Tokyu and find them in the same clean, convenient, but small range.

One tip is that if you're not signing up for their membership programs. I know Toyoko Inn gives discounts to members. If you don't, booking through hotels.com gives a straight-forward stay 10 nights get one free scheme.

i do find agoda to have better pricing for asia though. they do play games with coupons/click throughs (some links will be cheaper than others)
(just checked, agoda ranges $50-$65, hotel.com ranges $63, same room/hotel/dates)

+1 for dormy inn too (i enjoy the hot baths there)

dls25 Feb 27, 2022 11:05 pm

I've stayed here a few times, it is very cheap and across the street from a metro station.

Hotel Monterey Hanzomon
https://www.hotelmonterey.co.jp/en/hanzomon/

FlyerBeek Feb 28, 2022 3:28 am

I'm a big Dormy Inn fan when I just need a clean room and I'm not looking for anything fancy. I especially like their Dormy Inn Premium and Onyado Nono brands (the latter having more traditional Japanese design elements while still retaining the value/convenience of a business hotel). Small rooms (<200sqft) but most/all properties have nice public bath/sauna facilities, free late night ramen and good breakfast buffets. I usually book via the hotels.com app when they're having a double stamp promotion (seems to happen about once per month) - typically about $60-80/night all-in with effectively every fifth night free if booking during the promo windows.

Here's are the Dormy Inn properties around Tokyo: https://www.hotespa.net/dormyinn/eng...ist/tokyo.html

-FlyerBeek

travelinmanS Feb 28, 2022 3:44 am

In Tokyo the best option is to find a station you’d like to be close to and book a Japanese hotel near that station. The western chain hotels are overpriced for what you get in Japan. I like the Park Tokyo or Royal Park Tokyo.

kbooks66 Feb 28, 2022 4:38 am

Originally Posted by seigex (Post 34029777)
For those of us who will have to start paying for hotels as borders open up due to decimated points balances thanks to lack of work travel during COVID, what recommendations do you all have for cheaper hotels in great locations but won't break the bank for more than 2 weeks of staying? Especially, hotels different from the standard western ones (Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Continental, etc...)

I have a Moxy Kinshicho stay coming up soon, using the last of my Bonvoy points, and was able to get a fairly good price. Nice hotel. That said, I will be back in Japan often and left consulting during COVID, so travel will be very limited with the new job and I what few points I get back will be coming from credit cards.

I'm looking for hotels with maybe basic amenities, comfortable bed, a desk and good Wi-Fi to work from with my laptop, but most importantly centrally located in a great neighborhood and near train stations.

I know this is kind of broad, but I'm hoping to see lots of recommendations, based on experience, that people can use for when they're booking their trips going forward.

Thanks!

I really like the Choice Hotel offerings in Japan. They are generally reasonably priced and offer free breakfast. Also if you are a points collector, generally they are at Choice's lower tiers when it comes to pricing and are 8,000 points a night a HUGE bargain. That being said the rooms are a bit small side even for Japan.

nancypants Feb 28, 2022 5:50 am

Toyoko inn was the go to when I was living in Japan. Clean, neat, inoffensive. Often co-located near railway stations. Cheap

fond memories of staying at the one in Kitami one night when me and my mate had got massively drunk and lost our house keys

i like to stay in a ryokan also but they can often be a bit pricier. Or the capsule hotel at Asakusa was a regular haunt

memories!!