Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to submit covid test for US-NRT-GUM on separated tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Do I need to submit covid test for US-NRT-GUM on separated tickets

I guess I don't need test if it's one ticket, but how about separated tickets? Any experience?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a Japan transit issue, will forward to the Japan forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
No, there is no requirements for a PCR test for transit. The airlines generally accept that separate tickets doss count as a transit. Be aware that check in and documentation that you are not heading to Japan will take longer time, and on line check-in is probably not available as the system will see you as ending your journey in Japan.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gokeeper
I guess I don't need test if it's one ticket, but how about separated tickets? Any experience?
Thanks in advance.
Are you eligible to enter Japan?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I do not have experience with US-NRT-GUM on separate tickets, but I recently did LAX-NRT-GUM on United and all they wanted to see at LAX was my boarding pass for NRT-GUM.

I do have recent experience with GUM-NRT on United and then NRT-LAX both on SQ and NH. Both times I was only asked on Guam for my onward boarding pass. However both times in the NH lounge at NRT I was asked for my COVID test results. Most recently on 1/15/22 I flew SQ and the agent wanted to see my test results. I pushed back a bit and said I did not need a test as I never left the US. Eventually I gave up and showed her both a negative antigen test taken within 24 hours of departure and my vaccine card, even after also explaining that as a US citizen vaccination is not necessary.

TLR. I would get a test. Enjoy not flying on United.

Last edited by bloodyeyeballs; Jan 25, 2022 at 9:39 pm
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No, there is no requirements for a PCR test for transit. The airlines generally accept that separate tickets doss count as a transit. Be aware that check in and documentation that you are not heading to Japan will take longer time, and on line check-in is probably not available as the system will see you as ending your journey in Japan.
Thanks, how about GUM CBP? Will they ask for test result since I will arrive from NRT?
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you eligible to enter Japan?
No. That's why I tagged a nrt-gum after fly into nrt.
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
I do have recent experience with GUM-NRT on United and then NRT-LAX both on SQ and NH. Both times I was only asked on Guam for my onward boarding pass. However both times in the NH lounge at NRT I was asked for my COVID test results. Most recently on 1/15/22 I flew SQ and the agent wanted to see my test results. I pushed back a bit and said I did not need a test as I never left the US. Eventually I gave up and showed her both a negative antigen test taken within 24 hours of departure and my vaccine card, even after also explaining that as a US citizen vaccination is not necessary. TLR. I would get a test. Enjoy not flying on United.
Thanks, did you check in online for NRT-LAX leg? That's my theory as well, I am not leaving the US even I transit in NRT, hope I can survive both way without test.

Last edited by gokeeper; Jan 25, 2022 at 10:05 pm
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I did check in on both NH and SQ prior to leaving Guam. I could not check in online fro GUM-NRT as they obviously wanted to see my onward itinerary. Good luck without the test, just expect the agents at NRT to have a difficult time without a test and it will take time for them to call a supervisor who also may not know the rules.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:49 pm
vji

Is this a legit transit? As you are going from US -> US? I'm surprised agents are letting this happen if you can't enter Japan.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I flew GUM-NRT on UA and NRT-SEA on JL.

No issues: no test needed, agents knew exactly how to handle sperate tickets/transit, and transfer at NRT was seamless, even with greeting and name sign on arrival (once again, on separate tickets!). Highly recommend transiting Tokyo, as usual.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
I did check in on both NH and SQ prior to leaving Guam. I could not check in online fro GUM-NRT as they obviously wanted to see my onward itinerary. Good luck without the test, just expect the agents at NRT to have a difficult time without a test and it will take time for them to call a supervisor who also may not know the rules.
Got it, forgot to ask, you mentioned NH lounge agent ask for your test result, what's their policy at this moment? I can't find anything on their website. Is test result mandatory or I can show proof of vaccine instead?

Originally Posted by keitherson
I flew GUM-NRT on UA and NRT-SEA on JL.

No issues: no test needed, agents knew exactly how to handle sperate tickets/transit, and transfer at NRT was seamless, even with greeting and name sign on arrival (once again, on separate tickets!). Highly recommend transiting Tokyo, as usual.
Thanks, great to know! Do you have any experience flying other way from US to GUM via NRT?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:40 am

Technically the guideline is

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021,
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

So you really should take a test regardless. The athome online proctoring version should be okay (~$25-40 emed&binaxnow or ongo+azova)

Actual federal order
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/A...-02-2021-p.pdf
Pursuant to this controlled free pratique, the airline or other aircraft operator must comply with the following conditions to receive permission for the aircraft to enter and disembark passengers within the United States: • Airline or other aircraft operator must confirm that every passenger onboard the aircraft has presented a negative result for a Qualifying Test or Documentation of Recovery
<There are some exemptions but don't seem they apply>

United States has the same definition as “United States” in 42 CFR 71.1(b), meaning “the 50 States, District of Columbia, and the territories (also known as possessions) of the United States, including American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.”

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 26, 2022 at 7:57 am
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Got it, forgot to ask, you mentioned NH lounge agent ask for your test result, what's their policy at this moment? I can't find anything on their website. Is test result mandatory or I can show proof of vaccine instead?

Thanks, great to know! Do you have any experience flying other way from US to GUM via NRT?
Access to the lounges in Japan do not require a negative test nor proof of vaccination. Just a boarding pass with valid access criteria.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Technically the guideline is
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
So you really should take a test regardless. The athome online proctoring version should be okay (~$25-40 emed&binaxnow or ongo+azova)
Thanks, I will look into this.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Access to the lounges in Japan do not require a negative test nor proof of vaccination. Just a boarding pass with valid access criteria.
Thanks, have you visit NH lounge in NRT international terminal recently? Did they just let you in with boarding pass?
I asked because @bloodyeyeballs said he in his post
However both times in the NH lounge at NRT I was asked for my COVID test results
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:20 pm

I don't know their policy. On my first flight a few months ago, they held the plane from GUM-NRT at the gate and let those planning to enter Japan off first. Then an agent paged me and wanted to see my ongoing ticket on NH. She said to go to the lounge (which I did after picking up stuff at the drugstore and duty free). At the ANA Suite lounge in NRT, another agent came to me and asked for my information including COVID test results. As is mentioned on this thread, you do not need a COVID test to go to or from Guam. I recently tried to see if I could get by without showing a negative test, but again, the agent said I needed it and I wasn't about to argue with her as her English was limited.

As you are going US-NRT-GUM, it is likely the United agents in NRT won't give you a problem. You do not mention if you are taking an international carrier, such as NH, JL, or SQ to NRT, of if you are on an American carrier, such as AA or DL. I would again suspect more difficulty with the international carriers for whom a routing to GUM is "outside the box."

Regarding the lounge entry, they never asked for vaccination proof or Covid results prior to entering the ANA lounge either coming or going. My most recent trip was two weeks ago.

Lastly, I would recommend getting a COVID test prior just to make sure you do not have COVID. You do not want to start getting sick enroute to NRT and have to deal with the Japanese agents perhaps trying to quarantine you. They do not check temperatures in NRT, but they still do at GUM airport as well as most of the hotels on Guam. Guam's current quarantine hotel is the Bayview which makes the place in Melbourne that Djokovic stayed look like the four seasons.

Last edited by bloodyeyeballs; Jan 26, 2022 at 12:24 pm Reason: add stuff
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
You guys need to understand that the number of passengers per day going through NRT to get to GUM is few and far between.

All of this is explicitly answered by the CDC here https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

Are US territories considered foreign countries for the purposes of this Order?No, the requirement to present a negative result of a COVID-19 viral test or documentation recovery from COVID-19 does not apply to air passengers with flights from a US territory to a US state.

U.S. territories include American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

If I fly from a U.S. state or territory to another U.S. state or territory, but have to connect through a foreign country, am I still required to get a test?

If you booked an itinerary from a U.S. state or territory to another U.S. state or territory and the itinerary has you taking a connecting flight through a foreign country, CDC does not require that you be tested. An example of this situation is an itinerary booked between the Northern Mariana Islands (a U.S. territory) and the U.S. mainland via Japan.

However, some U.S. state and local governments and foreign governments may have their own testing requirements for air passengers arriving in their jurisdictions that may differ from U.S. federal requirements. Always check and follow recommendations or requirements related to travel to your destination in addition to U.S. federal requirements.
Does it matter what random agents you had in NRT were like? Maybe? Can they read the rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.