Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is a local SIM card required to clear Japan immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

Wife (JP national) and I are planning a trip to Japan next month. The MOFA website makes very clear that all arrivals will need a smartphone in order to report their status during the quarantine period. Would purchasing JP sims for our US smartphones *after* clearing airport immigration create any issues?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Wife (JP national) and I are planning a trip to Japan next month. The MOFA website makes very clear that all arrivals will need a smartphone in order to report their status during the quarantine period. Would purchasing JP sims for our US smartphones *after* clearing airport immigration create any issues?
Shouldn't be a problem. I had the same question (in July) and asked the immigration office of KIX and they confirmed airport wifi was sufficient (though slow). That said, my teenage son actually had help from one of the officials who had him link to her hotspot since the airport wifi to speed up the process. My other son returned in September, also without a J SIM in hand. Having the apps downloaded to your phone prior to departure is a good idea though. You will need a local phone number.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I recently entered at NRT without a Japanese SIM installed and had no problems. The potential issue seems to be when you are asked to confirm that you can receive communications from MOFA.
That is, while going through the arrival process, at one of the stations I had to show that I received a test email to the address I had provided. The agent sent an email and once received, I had to show it to them. I had connected to free WiFi at NRT and the email showed up in less than 30 seconds.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
In Narita the challenge with WiFi could be that some of the stations are placed in the normally no passenger access underbelly of the terminal buildings, I don't know how well they are covered with public WiFi.

The flow in Haneda is all in the passenger areas so it should be better covered.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
A suggestion, if you plan on buying a SIM while you're there anyway, is to sign up for Google Fi with bring your own phone on a flexible plan. It's $20/mo, they will send you a sim card in a couple days, and you pay $10/gb with a max out of pocket $80 for the month ($20 for account, $10/gb but they only charge you for the first 6, and you get up to 15GB. Your internet works in 170+ countries, and you will have a local US phone number.

If you change your SIM on your flight, you'll have internet the second you land, and once you're back in the US, just swap your SIM back and suspend your Google Fi account until you get back. I've used Google Fi for a few years, and it's nice having data no matter which country you land in, on layovers etc.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:07 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
WiFi at Haneda was fine. There is no way to buy a sim if you are going to a government quarantine hotel as you won't have access to any stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.