No tips, any other idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No tips, any other idea?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta
Does Google News know what I talk about on Flyertalk? Saw this on the news feed this morning. A group is trying to promote tipping in Japan.
https://kotaku.com/tipping-in-japan-...ugh-1847898756
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
I guess there is indeed some higher power that makes things right in the long run.
Never fear , DENTSU is no doubt formulating some new MISHEGAS .
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
Maybe more like "way out of the norm", so as to not be received as thank you but rather with puzzlement regarding what it means and also what to do with it.
Once after leaving the coinage change from a yakitoriya meal as a tip, I was chased down the street by the server. I don't think it even occurred to them that it was meant as a tip - they were treating it as left-behind property, the same as if I had left my cellphone at the table.

Originally Posted by freecia
As an tourist, you don't want to get into a gift battle with Japanese people. ... If a foreign FT'er has won a gift war with JP people where they emerged victorious while the opponent was still living and not an in-law, that'd be worth hearing.
Good point. You don't want to start your own personal trade war which will almost certainly result in your losing, and/or at least one side feeling really bad about the situation.

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
All the maid cafe's have closed....
Oh no! This makes the tourism visa issue in the other thread much less urgent.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
Once after leaving the coinage change from a yakitoriya meal as a tip, I was chased down the street by the server. I don't think it even occurred to them that it was meant as a tip - they were treating it as left-behind property, the same as if I had left my cellphone at the table.

Good point. You don't want to start your own personal trade war which will almost certainly result in your losing, and/or at least one side feeling really bad about the situation.

Oh no! This makes the tourism visa issue in the other thread much less urgent.
Who needs tipping when you have Papakatsu.....
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Pickles
How about the pancake places? That would be a trifecta of goodness.
Denny’s still going strong. Saw a line outside the other day in the Aoyama area mid day. Wish I was kidding.

At least it beats America.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: JMB
Thanks for all the feedback.
Just wanted to know if there's some secret option to show my appreciation.
Well, just stick to being nice with words.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.