Wiki Posts
Search

Rainy season starting, one of earliest starts ever

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Rainy season starting, one of earliest starts ever

Rainy season has been announced in Kyushu and others. I'm in Kansai. Although it's not official here yet (I think), it certainly feels like it. A very odd month. Usually nearly every day in May is clear blue sky until the first week of June or so, but this year we've had several cloudy days and drizzle (that's a Seattle word).
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/011000c
Old May 15, 2021, 10:44 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by nishimark
Rainy season has been announced in Kyushu and others. I'm in Kansai. Although it's not official here yet (I think), it certainly feels like it. A very odd month. Usually nearly every day in May is clear blue sky until the first week of June or so, but this year we've had several cloudy days and drizzle (that's a Seattle word).
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/011000c
Seattle reality yes, word no. Been used in the Bay Area since at least the ‘60s. :-)
nishimark likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Yes, we're getting the full brunt of the rainy season here in western Kyushu. My only hope is that since it started 20 days earlier than average, it will also end 20 days earlier than average, in a logical-mathematical manner.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; May 16, 2021 at 2:46 am
Old May 15, 2021, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Yes, we're getting the full brunt of the rainy season here in western Kyushu. My only hope is that since it started 20 days earlier than average, it will also end 20 days earlier than average, in a logical-mathematical manner.
Understand the logic, but then that means 20 extra days of (sweltering hot) summer. I want to enjoy a normal pre-rainy season first!
O Sora likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Understand the logic, but then that means 20 extra days of (sweltering hot) summer. I want to enjoy a normal pre-rainy season first!
I want an early, long, and largely rain-free summer vacation. I'll take the heat to the long stretches of rain, at least for one summer.
nishimark likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and drizzle (that's a Seattle word).
First cultural and now meteorological appropriation
Old May 16, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by LapLap
First cultural and now meteorological appropriation
Hahaha

*shoots self in head*
Old May 16, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW it’s the same here in Shanghai. Rainy season started last week and it’s much earlier than normal and I’m not happy about it!
Old May 16, 2021, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It's called Plum Rainy Season.
It's very normal to happen in late Spring in East Asia.
The rain is generated by two air masses (cool, dry air from Siberia + hot, moist air from the South China Sea) colliding in an area from Chengdu to Central Japan;
Old May 16, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Time to fill your cupboards and drawers with dry pets and listen to some traditional baiyu music:

Let’s hope there’s a break in the rain before August. But even obon in the baiyu isn’t unheard of.
AlwaysAisle likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Never thought Creedence Clearwater Revival and Japanese rain season (tsuyu, 梅雨) to be used in the same context. Any way, it is a damn good song, Green River is a classic Southern Rock.

It sure is unusual that the rain season started in May, I cannot recall last time that happened. However, forcast is saying that this does not imply that Tohoku region will experience early rain season. Looks like they are not sure Tokyo (Kanto area) will expreience early rain season, eaither. Any canse is is muggy rainy season which will lead to hot and muggy Japanese summer, Hope this coming summer will be good summer, given summer of 2020 expecting good summer for 2021 is not a high hurdle at all. Let's hope this rain season will not be as rainy as some other rain season we had previously.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Gomi toban.

We live in a house in a neighborhood, so we have a gomi (garbage) collection spot on a corner that is shared by about 10 or so households. Each month, a different house is in charge of cleaning up the gomi spot after the gomi guys come in the truck to pick it up (Monday and Thursday morning, "G-day"). For ours, one of the neighbors has constructed a couple of large net-like sheets to cover the bags to keep the crows out.

On May 1, I noticed the card in our post box saying that we were gomi toban (in charge of the gomi spot) for the month. "Good!" I thought, May is the best month of the year for weather. Cleaning up the gomi spot in the rain is not the most pleasant experience. The worst part is having to fold the net-like sheets to make them small enough to fit in the space designated for them. I've watched in amazement as housewives in the neighborhood somehow balance an umbrella while keeping both hands free for folding. Absolutely impossible for me.

Today is Monday. It's May, but rainy season has already started. Pouring down rain at the moment. I'm going to get drenched.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jib71
... traditional baiyu music:
Really?

Bayou.
jib71 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Gomi toban.

We live in a house in a neighborhood, so we have a gomi (garbage) collection spot on a corner that is shared by about 10 or so households. Each month, a different house is in charge of cleaning up the gomi spot after the gomi guys come in the truck to pick it up (Monday and Thursday morning, "G-day"). For ours, one of the neighbors has constructed a couple of large net-like sheets to cover the bags to keep the crows out.

On May 1, I noticed the card in our post box saying that we were gomi toban (in charge of the gomi spot) for the month. "Good!" I thought, May is the best month of the year for weather. Cleaning up the gomi spot in the rain is not the most pleasant experience. The worst part is having to fold the net-like sheets to make them small enough to fit in the space designated for them. I've watched in amazement as housewives in the neighborhood somehow balance an umbrella while keeping both hands free for folding. Absolutely impossible for me.

Today is Monday. It's May, but rainy season has already started. Pouring down rain at the moment. I'm going to get drenched.
Gomi toban... Brings back not so fun memories... Sorry you go t stuck during the rain...
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Really?

Bayou.
The "obon on the baiyu" / "born on the bayou" thought has been maturing in the steaming compost heap of my brain for some years.
abmj-jr and rustykettel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.