Wiki Posts
Search

Snowboarding in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Snowboarding in Japan

Hey all!

So every year I get my baby brother the EPIC pass so he can visit various mountains for free (To snowboard). He's been dying to go to Japan, so since he is graduating college this year, for a present, I am going to get him a trip to Japan so he can snowboard. I have searched the forum and came across many recommendations but unfortunately, they weren't around the mountains included in the EPIC Pass. I was hoping you guys could provide any insight. I did, however, book a few nights at the Aman Tokyo for NYE . Here is what's included in the pass:
  • Hakuba47 Winter Sports Park
  • Able Hakuba Goryu
  • Hakuba Iwatake Snow Field
  • Jiigatake Snow Resort
  • Tsugaike Kogen Snow Resort
  • Rusutsu
  • Hakuba Cortina Snow Resort
  • Hakuba Happo-One Snow Resort
  • Kashimayari Ski Resort
  • Hakuba Sanosaka Snow Resort
Info: EPIC Pass
Resorts on Google Maps: Pinned Places

I'd like to make this special for him so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:35 pm

First of all, I think you have to ask yourself the broad question of whether there's snowboard next season and if Epic Pass is something you really should jump on right now.
I started a thread on this, alas they closed the thread and buried my question in an existing thread with no responses since.
But perhaps my post will give you some things to think about.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32305047-post23.html

I'm not a boarder. I'm a skier (not very good). I stay on-piste.
I've also never skiied Hakuba.
Cynicor is like our resident Jpn snowboard expert and hopefully he chimes in.

Having said that, I can tell you some basic things:
- Out of all the Hakuba areas, Happo-One is the largest followed by Tsugaike-Kogen.
- Hakuba Cortina has ski-in/out hotel and is actually adjoined to another ski mountain. They offer joint 2-mountain pass, although it does not appear that the other hill (Hakuba Norikura) participates in Epic Pass.
- Rusutsu is in a completely different area of Jpn (Hokkaido), but you can fly TYO-CTS on just 5k UA miles one-way. It's got the best lift infrastructure out of all the places on your list.
jib71 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
First of all, I think you have to ask yourself the broad question of whether there's snowboard next season and if Epic Pass is something you really should jump on right now.
I started a thread on this, alas they closed the thread and buried my question in an existing thread with no responses since.
But perhaps my post will give you some things to think about.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32305047-post23.html

I'm not a boarder. I'm a skier (not very good). I stay on-piste.
I've also never skiied Hakuba.
Cynicor is like our resident Jpn snowboard expert and hopefully he chimes in.

Having said that, I can tell you some basic things:
- Out of all the Hakuba areas, Happo-One is the largest followed by Tsugaike-Kogen.
- Hakuba Cortina has ski-in/out hotel and is actually adjoined to another ski mountain. They offer joint 2-mountain pass, although it does not appear that the other hill (Hakuba Norikura) participates in Epic Pass.
- Rusutsu is in a completely different area of Jpn (Hokkaido), but you can fly TYO-CTS on just 5k UA miles one-way. It's got the best lift infrastructure out of all the places on your list.
I've thought about it but I need to get him something. I hate doing "I Owe You's." It's also his first year working (Depending on Grad School) so it would be nice if he has a set vacation for his employer. But, I do know what you mean. Regardless, I will do something with him that week or two. For some reason, we always buy the EPIC Pass on the last day, so it will be a game-time decision.

Thank you for that info! When you say Hakuba and Happo-One are the largest, are they also the busiest?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Somewhat OT, but if he's a brand new employee, will he be able to get lots of vacation days at a very popular time of the year (for people with kids, in particular), and even if the odds are good, should he ask as a brand new employee?

BTW, laplap has taken her (much younger) kid to some snow resorts in Japan, IIRC for sledding and tobogganing.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
I've thought about it but I need to get him something. I hate doing "I Owe You's." It's also his first year working (Depending on Grad School) so it would be nice if he has a set vacation for his employer. But, I do know what you mean. Regardless, I will do something with him that week or two. For some reason, we always buy the EPIC Pass on the last day, so it will be a game-time decision.

Thank you for that info! When you say Hakuba and Happo-One are the largest, are they also the busiest?
When you say buy the Epic Pass on the last day, what do you mean?
Last day before one of the price increases?
If you know when the current offered prices run till, let us know!

I'll defer to others who've actually skiied Hakuba to comment on the crowd there.
But I think my brother said Happone-One is the busiest in Hakuba.
Having said that, lift queues in Jpn tend to not be bad like in N.America.
I've skiied at several different places in Jpn, including Rusutsu. On weekdays, it's been rare for me to have to queue >3min for a chairlift. I do try to avoid skiing during the Holiday season, which in Jpn is usually something like 28th or 29th of Dec through the first few days of Jan. Certain mountains get busy on weekends, but some mountains never get too busy.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
When you say buy the Epic Pass on the last day, what do you mean?
Last day before one of the price increases?
If you know when the current offered prices run till, let us know!

I'll defer to others who've actually skiied Hakuba to comment on the crowd there.
But I think my brother said Happone-One is the busiest in Hakuba.
Having said that, lift queues in Jpn tend to not be bad like in N.America.
I've skiied at several different places in Jpn, including Rusutsu. On weekdays, it's been rare for me to have to queue >3min for a chairlift. I do try to avoid skiing during the Holiday season, which in Jpn is usually something like 28th or 29th of Dec through the first few days of Jan. Certain mountains get busy on weekends, but some mountains never get too busy.
To my knowledge, they don't sell the pass year-round. At least around me, they usually stop selling them mid November. If you go on their site, they have a deposit you can put down but you are unable to purchase them yet.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
To my knowledge, they don't sell the pass year-round. At least around me, they usually stop selling them mid November. If you go on their site, they have a deposit you can put down but you are unable to purchase them yet.
I see what you mean.
Yeah they do stop selling it at some point, but they sell it most of the year (starting in March for the following season, I think) and they keep increasing prices. It's generally cheaper the earlier you buy. But keep in mind this is not your usual year, so their strategy may be different.
I wish they'd tell us when the next price increase is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.