Wiki Posts
Search

Gym recommendation in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gym recommendation in Japan?

I'll be in Japan for 8 days (4 in Tokyo, 4 in Kyoto/Osaka). Are there any gyms that I can pay to use on a per-day basis? I would probably like to visit a gym in each city twice.

I'm not looking for a "fitness club" type thing with a bunch of machines -- if I was, I'd just use the hotel "fitness center". I'm looking for:

A squat rack or power rack (a smith machine is not a squat rack)
A barbell
Olympic-sized round plates for the barbell (for deadlifts)
A flat bench that I can drag under the squat rack or power rack for bench pressing (a bench-press bench is acceptable as well)
Preferably some dumbbells, although I can live without them (although anywhere that has proper barbells will probably have dumbbells as well)
Preferably some kind of cardio machine for warmup (also optional; I can warm up without one)

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Your best bet may be to try one of the CrossFit gyms, as they allow drop-ins.

Otherwise, the other popular gyms like Gold's, Tipness and Anytime Fitness seem to require a membership/registration fee.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you perhaps stay in hotels with good gym access? I'm thinking perhaps the PH Tokyo, but I don't know whether its very fancy spa and fitness center fit your requirements.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by groovbusta

Otherwise, the other popular gyms like Gold's, Tipness and Anytime Fitness seem to require a membership/registration fee.
Are these big chains in Japan? Thanks for the tip; I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you perhaps stay in hotels with good gym access? I'm thinking perhaps the PH Tokyo, but I don't know whether its very fancy spa and fitness center fit your requirements.
It's rare to find a hotel gym that has the necessary equipment for proper weight training. They are mostly cardio machines and weight machines, maybe with a few light dumbbells.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Are these big chains in Japan? Thanks for the tip; I'll look into it.

It's rare to find a hotel gym that has the necessary equipment for proper weight training. They are mostly cardio machines and weight machines, maybe with a few light dumbbells.
I understand that, but the PH facilities are part of a very fancy private health club used by local Japanese executives.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Actually this looks like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks: https://reebokcrossfit-roppongi.com/en/dropin/
And https://www.crossfitkyoto.com/en/dropin/

I understand that, but the PH facilities are part of a very fancy private health club used by local Japanese executives.
This is a good point; I had forgotten that some hotels have gyms like that. Actually the Four Seasons right across the street from where I work has an Equinox.

But, I'm not going to pay 2x for my hotel just to use a gym... I'm happy with the GH Tokyo (actually I have never tried their gym; I will definitely take a look before going to crossfit, but I'm not too hopeful. The picture on their website does not inspire confidence -- I see a lot of machines and a few light dumbbells, and a lot of bragging about their "state of the art" strength training machines.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:59 pm

Actually this looks like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks: https://reebokcrossfit-roppongi.com/en/dropin/
And https://www.crossfitkyoto.com/en/dropin/

This is a good point; I had forgotten that some hotels have gyms like that. Actually the Four Seasons right across the street from where I work has an Equinox.

But, I'm not going to pay 2x for my hotel just to use a gym... I'm happy with the GH Tokyo (actually I have never tried their gym; I will definitely take a look before going to crossfit, but I'm not too hopeful. The picture on their website does not inspire confidence -- I see a lot of machines and a few light dumbbells, and a lot of bragging about their "state of the art" strength training machines.
OT but another example of this is the Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia, which is associated with and attached to a very well respected serious health club. HR Minneapolis has a similar arrangement with a good serious health club located on about the sixth floor of the hotel's building.

Some people have praised the health club facilities at the Andaz Tokyo which seem to be shared with an apartment/condo building and might also offer public memberships as the building also has office space. Prince Gallery has a similar arrangement as does the Westin Tokyo.

Do you really want to travel across Tokyo to use a gym during a short trip? This could require a lot of time in the subway system.

At the moment, I'd also be very concerned about the hygiene standards for any gym facilities I might use, even though I would expect Japan to be extremely good in this regard. Are a couple workouts worth the risk of catching the WuFlu and being prevented from further travel, etc.?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OT but another example of this is the Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelphia, which is associated with and attached to a very well respected serious health club. HR Minneapolis has a similar arrangement with a good serious health club located on about the sixth floor of the hotel's building.

Some people have praised the health club facilities at the Andaz Tokyo which seem to be shared with an apartment/condo building and might also offer public memberships as the building also has office space. Prince Gallery has a similar arrangement as does the Westin Tokyo.

Do you really want to travel across Tokyo to use a gym during a short trip? This could require a lot of time in the subway system.

At the moment, I'd also be very concerned about the hygiene standards for any gym facilities I might use, even though I would expect Japan to be extremely good in this regard. Are a couple workouts worth the risk of catching the WuFlu and being prevented from further travel, etc.?
GH Tokyo to Midtown Roppongi is a 5-10 minute walk.

I'm no more concerned about coronavirus at a gym in Tokyo than I am about the gym I go to in SF. If I was, I would cancel my trip.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:06 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
GH Tokyo to Midtown Roppongi is a 5-10 minute walk.
CrossFit Heart & Beauty in Nishi-azabu is even closer to the GH... they also accept drop-ins.
Reebok CrossFit Heart & Beauty (Nishi Azabu) | United by Fitness
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:49 am

I was at Andaz last month.
While the gym was nice and better than Conrad's, I think the OP will be disappointed.
It's mostly machines. They have a set of dumbbells, but their heaviest one was not even close to the heaviest ones I like to use. They did have some plates... can't remember exactly what they were. But for sure they didn't have bench press or 6/7 foot Olympic bar. Just Smith machine, some dumbbells, different weight machines and cardio stuff. I haven't stayed at GH recently, but I'd be shocked if they were any different.

About 10 years ago, I went to Tipness and Konami Sports and found that they didn't have anything in terms of free weight. Ultimately had to go to Gold's. Maybe things have changed.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels in Japan have the worst gym situation of any country in Asia that I travel to for business. Although the requirement for a squat rack will likely nix 99% of hotel gyms anywhere in the world. Golds gym does offer day passes but they aren’t cheap.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold's is probably 3,000 JPY or so for drop in for non-members, I can't remember exactly ! Depending on which of the Gold's you go to they definitely have the equipment you want to use.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:02 am

I'm using the Taito Riverside Sports Center. My needs are few as I'm using their treadmills and exercise bikes. I think that they have a weights room. I wouldn't describe the gym as well equipped, but it's enough for me and 250yen per visit.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I'm using the Taito Riverside Sports Center. My needs are few as I'm using their treadmills and exercise bikes. I think that they have a weights room. I wouldn't describe the gym as well equipped, but it's enough for me and 250yen per visit.
That's amazingly cheap.

Many years ago, the Imperial in Osaka charged hotel guests 4,000 yen per person per visit to use their extensive health club facilities (which was sold to locals as a luxury membership club) including indoor Olympic pool and golf simulator stuff. IIRC there was a discounted rate of only 2,000 yen to just use the pool early in the morning.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:11 pm

That's amazingly cheap.

Many years ago, the Imperial in Osaka charged hotel guests 4,000 yen per person per visit to use their extensive health club facilities (which was sold to locals as a luxury membership club) including indoor Olympic pool and golf simulator stuff. IIRC there was a discounted rate of only 2,000 yen to just use the pool early in the morning.
The Taito Riverside Sports Center is a publicly run gym. A huge difference between entrance fees and equipment between public and private gyms is sometime I recognise from when I lived in Japan some decades ago. They have some very nice looking outdoor swimming pools but they are only open during the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.