Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by seigex
Being this defensive and coy about your sources makes it sound like you're making it up to justify your posts. I don't believe you. Also, I wouldn't put much stock in to what "japan-guide" says about the rules myself on something that is "very expensive." Good luck with your package tour.
He owes you nothing and his information is correct.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I would expected by now that some high end boutique organizations like Aman Kyoto would have worked things out to shepherd high end customers through the process of a legal tourist visit, but I haven't seen squat yet. I guess they're doing just fine with domestic tourism.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:46 pm

In fairness the business activities has been very broad and inviting businesses can be equally broad. Might explain some of the media collaborations I've seen lately by local business and foreigners. I'm sure much cheaper than some package tour. I mean if you want to be close to the line on the rules there are cheaper ways.
invalyd and rustykettel like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by freakazoid
He owes you nothing and his information is correct.
Correct because you said so?

I don't see what is so egregious about asking for supporting documentation. Clearly you are not above asking for sources yourself when it comes to disputed information.

Originally Posted by freakazoid
do you have a source for that number?
seigex likes this.

Last edited by invalyd; Aug 18, 2022 at 6:44 pm
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Multiple posts deleted for being disruptive/snarky. The current discussion about how to circumvent the current rules on foreign tourism is a derail from the thread topic. Morkai, it seems like you've received your answer directly from the tour company, so let's move on.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:28 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Thread closed temporarily for a cooling-off period. If off-topic posts continue, warnings/bans will be issued.

Edit: Reopened. Please continue to follow the FT rules while posting and stay on topic, or this thread will be permanently closed.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

Last edited by armagebedar; Aug 19, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
After doing some more reading on my possible upcoming entry to Korea from Haneda, it turns out I will have to book a flight from the day after we arrive (oh boy, a sleepover at the gate in Haneda airport!) as we arrive too late to catch one of the few flights between Haneda and Seoul. (We arrive at 8pm, and the next flight isn't until 8am the next morning) As such, we'll need to take our PCR tests at LAX before we leave for Tokyo, or risk them being invalid for the flight over because of the delay. Since we have an 8 hour layover in LAX, we should be able to leave Int'l wing, get tested, and cross security again before we depart. I'll have to find out if the staff at the Star Alliance Lounge can print off our PCR results for us as well.

That being said, we're booking Haneda-Seoul on a separate ticket with ANA via Aeroplan but as long as we get the staff to print off our second boarding pass from Haneda to Seoul, and only take carry-on baggage we should be fine to re-enter the Int'l wing at LAX without ANA asking why we're entering Japan without visas, right? I think that's the only part of this whole scheme that may backfire in my face.

(3 days in transit, just to avoid losing an F flight...the things I'll do for an experience!)
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kishiwada
After doing some more reading on my possible upcoming entry to Korea from Haneda, it turns out I will have to book a flight from the day after we arrive (oh boy, a sleepover at the gate in Haneda airport!) as we arrive too late to catch one of the few flights between Haneda and Seoul. (We arrive at 8pm, and the next flight isn't until 8am the next morning) As such, we'll need to take our PCR tests at LAX before we leave for Tokyo, or risk them being invalid for the flight over because of the delay. Since we have an 8 hour layover in LAX, we should be able to leave Int'l wing, get tested, and cross security again before we depart. I'll have to find out if the staff at the Star Alliance Lounge can print off our PCR results for us as well.

That being said, we're booking Haneda-Seoul on a separate ticket with ANA via Aeroplan but as long as we get the staff to print off our second boarding pass from Haneda to Seoul, and only take carry-on baggage we should be fine to re-enter the Int'l wing at LAX without ANA asking why we're entering Japan without visas, right? I think that's the only part of this whole scheme that may backfire in my face.

(3 days in transit, just to avoid losing an F flight...the things I'll do for an experience!)
I did this recently ANA to OZ, though at NRT. It’s fine as long as you show them your ticket to Seoul.

As for the test you may be pleased to know that your transit doesn’t count against your test time as long as you don’t enter the country. So you can get the PCR 2 days before the flight to Tokyo or an antigen the day before.
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Only ANA
I did this recently ANA to OZ, though at NRT. It’s fine as long as you show them your ticket to Seoul.

As for the test you may be pleased to know that your transit doesn’t count against your test time as long as you don’t enter the country. So you can get the PCR 2 days before the flight to Tokyo or an antigen the day before.
I am VERY pleased to know this! Thank you!!
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Just to provide one additional data point: my family arrived at NRT terminal 1 on an ANA flight from the US at 2:15pm yesterday and breezed through all the entry procedures very quickly. There were no lines. The slowest part was waiting on the plane while transit pax disembarked first. We sat on the plane for probably 10 or 15 minutes before they let the rest of us off.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
I am VERY pleased to know this! Thank you!!
quick question if I may? This talk of PCR tests is only because you are entering South Korea? We are transiting Japan en route to Vietnam which doesn’t require a pcr hence we don’t need a test just to transit Japan is my understanding?
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
quick question if I may? This talk of PCR tests is only because you are entering South Korea? We are transiting Japan en route to Vietnam which doesn’t require a pcr hence we don’t need a test just to transit Japan is my understanding?
Yeah, Japan has no testing requirements if you're only in transit.
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Yep! Sorry, that was probably really confusing, and maybe didn't belong here. I was mostly worried about exiting the International wing for testing in Domestic, then possibly having ANA flag me for not having a ticket out of Japan immediately on arrival, but it's all good. You'll also be fine.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:10 am

Uh.. also.. Is The Royal Park Tokyo Haneda open? The Notice on the website says it's suspended, but my partner just tried to book a room for us (early September) and it looks like they're available? Or did they just not turn off the booking service?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Uh.. also.. Is The Royal Park Tokyo Haneda open? The Notice on the website says it's suspended, but my partner just tried to book a room for us (early September) and it looks like they're available? Or did they just not turn off the booking service?
The hotel has two sides - Airside (Transit facility) is "temporarily suspended".
If your partner booked a room, my guess is that it is on the wrong side of border control.
Kishiwada likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.