Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
I realize this has become a logic free discussion, but if anyone is interested.

The infection fatality rate IFR for the early Covid variants for the vaccinated was somewhere between 0.3 and 0.6%
Omicron transmissibility is about 3x higher than earlier variants and the IFR is 5x lower.

If you want to confirm please ask Uncle G...not me.
and yet Japan continues with its theatre at the border. I really want the EU to slam the door on Japanese visa free travel in sorry oct. (As i recall).
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Topcare
and yet Japan continues with its theatre at the border. I really want the EU to slam the door on Japanese visa free travel in sorry oct. (As i recall).
There is no indication from the European commission that it will happen in October. The latest update on the topic was that it was better achieved through a diplomatic approach than through cutting the visa free travel for Japanese citizens. While it may still happen in October, if the stance of the commission changes, it is certainly not currently on track to happen automatically in October.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Although they do have a procedure set out in law, they never followed it with regards to the dispute with the USA over visa waivers, which has been going on for 8+ years and is still not resolved.

So I don't hold out too much hope of seeing reciprocal suspensions, even though it should happen for the sake of diplomatic reciprocity and fairness.
LETTERBOY, CPH-Flyer and Topcare like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by musehead
Although they do have a procedure set out in law, they never followed it with regards to the dispute with the USA over visa waivers, which has been going on for 8+ years and is still not resolved.

So I don't hold out too much hope of seeing reciprocal suspensions, even though it should happen for the sake of diplomatic reciprocity and fairness.
As they say, don't hold your breath..... lol
seigex and Topcare like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by musehead

In that case (if I'm understanding your reference correctly) the problem only applies to a subset of the EU populace, meaning it is not worth it for the EU as a whole to take a stand and revoke US Americans' visa-free access on the basis that were we to do that, the US would revoke our visa-free access as well. This would be much more of a problem than there is now. (This problem is not only relevant to the US btw -- Japan also isn't fully reciprocating of EU citizens even outside of the covid stuff)

With Japan on the other hand, none of the EU citizenry has visa free access to Japan (ignoring those with dual citizenship) while all of the Japanese citizens do have access to the EU. So the stakes are quite different.

That said I still wouldn't hold my breath because while this will likely eventually happen if JP continues to deny access to EU citizens, these sorts of things move slowly and it may take a long time.
musehead likes this.

Last edited by CyBeR; Aug 4, 2022 at 9:30 am
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As stated above, there is theater and reality. While at the EU level it is all well and good that they want ALL EU citizens to have the same rights to travel to the US, the 24 EU countries in the VWP are not going to jeopardize their status because too many Bulgarians and Romanians have been violating their visas to the US. People forget that the VWP is based on the "good behavior" of the citizens of a given country. Too many people violate the law...............and they lose VWP access. Really simple. In the case of Japan, nothing will be happening for some years especially due to Covid, etc.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:10 pm

Jpn admits anyone and everyone for inpatient care.
No wonder their system always feels overstretched, and they can’t adjust to the pandemic.

Who hospitalizes someone for nondisplaced sacral fracture?!
https://www.nikkansports.com/m/enter....html?mode=all
seigex likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by evergrn
Jpn admits anyone and everyone for inpatient care.
No wonder their system always feels overstretched, and they can’t adjust to the pandemic.

https://www.nikkansports.com/m/enter....html?mode=all
Honestly -- this is embarrassing - you fell on your butt - go get a cushion and pain meds to recover from your awful "injury" lol -- normal people wouldn't even venture to the hospital for this lol - even in Japan....

My wife had significant surgery two months ago to remove a possibly-cancerous tumor in a "delicate place" -- she was numbed from the waist down and couldn't even stand up for 6 hours -- every hour I had to get her out of bed and carry her around the ward to try and get her feeling back in her legs -- they gave us 4 hours to keep her room -- but then we were shuffled to the door at the hospital once our private room time was up -- Japanese medical care is fascinating to me -- I carried my wife to the taxi while her anesthesia wore off -- but someone well known is admitted for a non-displaced butt bruise -- amazing..
LETTERBOY and seigex like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 6, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by evergrn
Someone who wants to sponsor people to enter Japan? After all, "visiting a sick acquaintance" just became a valid reason to apply for a visitor visa a couple months ago.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by jamar
Someone who wants to sponsor people to enter Japan? After all, "visiting a sick acquaintance" just became a valid reason to apply for a visitor visa a couple months ago.
I'm sure the "business" visa has got to be easier.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Japan has at least fallen below 100 percent positivity to just under 80 percent.

somehat related but i watched a documentary of life where im from called being japanese.

two parts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmzWknYaNXg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYMmsiDsHrg

I have to say I see where the xenophobic attitude permeates the japanese culture at a very early stage in japan to where it seems like its second nature. Even endorsed by senior politicians.

Some of the stories of abuse these kids endured when young only confirmed what many here have said.

So much for argument of some here that the current attitude towards foreigners is not necessarily that of the Japanese broadly.
Thanks for sharing this video. I will watch it when I have some time.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Question about the requirement for a negative PCR test to enter Japan. I am now visiting the US and staying in a small town without many testing options. The clinic I've booked has told me that their test result certificate does not include the sample type (nasal swab or whatever). But they can supplement the certificate with a letter on their letterhead with the additional required items such as the sample type. Do you all think this will be enough to satisfy the Japanese government requirement?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:24 am

You can have them fill this out just in case:
000799426.pdf (mhlw.go.jp)
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by pesos
You can have them fill this out just in case:
000799426.pdf (mhlw.go.jp)
You fill this form out yourself and upload to the MYSOS app. My last 2 entries into to Japan, they didn't even ask to see the COVID results.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
You fill this form out yourself and upload to the MYSOS app. My last 2 entries into to Japan, they didn't even ask to see the COVID results.
WHAT WHAT WHAT! I can't believe you would do such a thing
THECLIPPERS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.