Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wasn’t it reindexed 3:1 though? Or did it organically float to 100:1?
I was referring to the US$-JPY exchange rate when I first arrived in Japan in 1974. I assume that FlyingSloth's comment that "the Japanese yen is at an all time low" means an all-time recent low since the yen has of course been weaker historically than it is today (although in 1974 the yen had strengthened against the dollar compared to 1972, it was weaker against the dollar then than it is today). When I first arrived here, $33 was worth about 10,000 yen.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
A recent report suggested that over half of Americans had already contracted COVID at least once, leading some to argue that catching COVID is inevitable, so we should all just move on to the "learn to live with it" stage.

However, with masking and other prevention requests in Japan still in place, that number remains well under 5% of the population of the Kanto area. So a vast majority of the population has still managed to avoid infection.

And this is fortunate, because the hospital infrastructure has, thanks to the byzantine system of Japan, been stressed to dangerous levels even with the low number of infections seen to date. If this system remains unchanged, and all restrictions are removed and we end up getting like 5% of Tokyo's population infected all at the same time, then the system could well and truly be brought to its knees.

So if the Japanese government does decide that this is the direction that society needs to move in, then they will first need to create a law or somehow otherwise legally relegate COVID to a flu-level of disease, so that regular hospitals will be able to handle the cases, which would finally allow Japan to just let the virus have its way. And I think that's the step that will be necessary before full-blown tourism resumption will be palatable, though I've yet to hear a peep from Kishida on a timetable for that.
Dave510, seigex and Kishiwada like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
A recent report suggested that over half of Americans had already contracted COVID at least once, leading some to argue that catching COVID is inevitable, so we should all just move on to the "learn to live with it" stage.

However, with masking and other prevention requests in Japan still in place, that number remains well under 5% of the population of the Kanto area. So a vast majority of the population has still managed to avoid infection.

And this is fortunate, because the hospital infrastructure has, thanks to the byzantine system of Japan, been stressed to dangerous levels even with the low number of infections seen to date. If this system remains unchanged, and all restrictions are removed and we end up getting like 5% of Tokyo's population infected all at the same time, then the system could well and truly be brought to its knees.

So if the Japanese government does decide that this is the direction that society needs to move in, then they will first need to create a law or somehow otherwise legally relegate COVID to a flu-level of disease, so that regular hospitals will be able to handle the cases, which would finally allow Japan to just let the virus have its way. And I think that's the step that will be necessary before full-blown tourism resumption will be palatable, though I've yet to hear a peep from Kishida on a timetable for that.
So, Tokyo-to us just shy of 14 million people, according to the NHK statistics, there are about 1.4 million recorded infections. So for the Tokyo numbers to add up, we are close to half of the cases having been reinfections, and zero unrecorded infections. In comparison the US number is 83 million out of 333 million, so to hit 60% the case count would need to be more than double the officially recorded cases.

I doubt the two pieces of research are comparable in the way they are being used. And to be honest, I am skeptical of both sets of data.
Dave510, invalyd and Kishiwada like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
There appears to be a lot of leeway for the moment, however - for example, in Tokyo right now, only 11 out of the 510 beds (2.2%) designated for severe COVID patients are occupied. For general COVID patients, it's 1,442 out of 7,229 beds (19.9%).

Has it really been stressed to dangerous levels this year? I didn't see the occupancy for normal patients going much higher than 50% in Tokyo. I would bet they have an emergency plan to increase that maximum capacity too, if necessary.

Conversely, we can certainly say that Hong Kong's medical system was stretched to dangerous levels earlier this year, where we saw elderly people dying outside hospitals for lack of space.

In the UK recently, up to 8% of the population had COVID simultaneously, and at the moment it's around 4% and dropping according to the ONS study, and the medical system hasn't come close to being overrun during the most recent wave. Japan is a developed country, I can't imagine their medical system is significantly worse than the NHS.
LETTERBOY, Dave510 and seigex like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by musehead
There appears to be a lot of leeway for the moment, however - for example, in Tokyo right now, only 11 out of the 510 beds (2.2%) designated for severe COVID patients are occupied. For general COVID patients, it's 1,442 out of 7,229 beds (19.9%).

Has it really been stressed to dangerous levels this year? I didn't see the occupancy for normal patients going much higher than 50% in Tokyo. I would bet they have an emergency plan to increase that maximum capacity too, if necessary.

Conversely, we can certainly say that Hong Kong's medical system was stretched to dangerous levels earlier this year, where we saw elderly people dying outside hospitals for lack of space.

In the UK recently, up to 8% of the population had COVID simultaneously, and at the moment it's around 4% and dropping according to the ONS study, and the medical system hasn't come close to being overrun during the most recent wave. Japan is a developed country, I can't imagine their medical system is significantly worse than the NHS.
Given infection (and thus hospitalization) growth is not linear and there's a time lag between implementation of prevention measures and slowing of growth, I'd say not approaching 50% capacity use is great. I feel "There's still hospital capacity so let's let more people get infected" is a weird take. Also while those beds are not being used for COVID patients, I'm sure those resources are still being used for other day to day treatment of patients. Stressing the system means compromising on the level and standard of care for patients that need it for things other than COVID.

Also, I think health care systems are complicated and aren't just strictly "better" or "worse" than others. The one in Japan certainly has had its struggles during the heights of COVID and I can't imagine much has improved on that front.
hailstorm, Dave510 and Kishiwada like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sri Lanka, Turkey and Vietnam was removed from the designated country list, so no quarantine requirements for boosted travelers.

Bulgaria, Laos, and South Africa was added to the list of designated countries.

Wiki has been updated.
​​​​
Old May 2, 2022, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Interesting that countries are still being newly added as a result of Omicron based variants. I wouldn't think that's something the government would do if they were looking to normalize things soon.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting that countries are still being newly added as a result of Omicron based variants. I wouldn't think that's something the government would do if they were looking to normalize things soon.
I was a bit surprised that things are still being added. But I guess no one asked the "quarantine related overseas infection status monitoring office" to stop their activities.... (don't know what the office is actually called but it always ends up being rather long)
Old May 2, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
These things tend to take a life of their own, especially in Japan. Wouldn't surprise me that the list would be active and changing well after they stopped enforcing it...
Old May 2, 2022, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well , at least they aren't pursuing a "zero covid" policy like China!
Old May 2, 2022, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I remember when the Japanese yen was 306 yen to the dollar and even then it was not at an all-time low. Still, I get your drift, and it's nice to be in Japan and able to use my US-issued dollar-based credit cards for most purchases. I hope you get here in time to take advantage of it.
306!!! I’m shocked to see this. I tried to pull up an “all time” chart the other day on some website but I did not see anything near that number. Holy crap
Old May 2, 2022, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
That’s because you’re thinking logically, analytically. That is not the norm here IME.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Agree with you. Has spent the last week and a half in America and nobody’s wearing masks. Almost nobody at least, and while I am triple vaccinated and I’ve never contracted the illness, I fully expect to do so anytime and I’m totally OK with that. But I think you probably remember that I’ve been saying things like this for a long time, and that it is inevitable and we just need to learn to live with it. Glad to see that your perspective may be this way too..?

I hope the Japanese government ultimately will agree as well. The Chinese policy is just ironically unbelievable and draconian. I cannot see it working in the long term unless I missing something…
seigex likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ainternational
306!!! I’m shocked to see this. I tried to pull up an “all time” chart the other day on some website but I did not see anything near that number. Holy crap
Google chart only goes back 40 years. Hit 277 in 1982. In more recent times, it's been over the current low in 1998 and 2002.

Old May 2, 2022, 10:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ainternational
Here's the historical rate going back to 1972. The 306 yen/dollar rate was actually in 1975. I can remember seeing the exchange rate shown at the bank back in 1974 as 324 yen to the dollar but when I checked online, it shows otherwise. There was a time several years prior to 1974 when the rate was 364 yen/dollar and even higher before then.
https://www.macrotrends.net/2550/dol...storical-chart
pudgym29 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.