Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Looks like today might be the first day ever that every single prefecture sees at least triple-digit number of new cases.
We've been close to that several times, with Shimane Prefecture being the lone exception. Today they had exactly 100.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My new plan. Stick with Haneda flights until hotel quarantine is not required anymore. Haneda is just much more organised than Narita.
I need to decide if i can be bothered coming back later this month.. for only a week to spend half of it in HQ. I was really hoping they'd make the change for Aus back to no HQ by then but I'm not feeling lucky... (esp. as Aus numbers are still pretty high)
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Akihabara
I need to decide if i can be bothered coming back later this month.. for only a week to spend half of it in HQ. I was really hoping they'd make the change for Aus back to no HQ by then but I'm not feeling lucky... (esp. as Aus numbers are still pretty high)
Yeah, I would not feel convinced that Australia is moving out of the current hotel settings anytime soon....
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:50 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Tokyo likely to exceed twenty thousand COVID today for the first time.
"With most hospital beds currently filled with patients with mild symptoms"

I mean...come on, the content of the article matters, and how they are approaching hospitalization matters. With Omi + vax, the severe cases are FAR less. As long as they use the (for ex.) Taiwan model of hospitalizing someone with a sniffle, yes, the headlines will be shocking.

Alarm over there being 100 cases of Omi in a prefecture is laughable unless they are all unvaxxed, at which point those people are not so smart.
JNelson113 and seigex like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've been close to that several times, with Shimane Prefecture being the lone exception. Today they had exactly 100.
Shimane's case count for yesterday was amended to 99.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:57 pm

Shimane's case count for yesterday was amended to 99.
I saw that.
The streak of at least 1 prefecture with <100 cases on any given day continues.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Minato Ku sent me the invitation to get the booster shot. However, there is a massive however. The invitation is for 8 months after my second jab, so I am ready to get my Japan booster shot on the 4th of April..... And here I was thinking for a brief second that Japan was getting on the beat, but no.

Thank you Denmark for arranging a booster shot in December.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:08 pm

My new plan. Stick with Haneda flights until hotel quarantine is not required anymore. Haneda is just much more organised than Narita.
Agreed. I watched NHK's coverage of the border/quarantine situation at Haneda in their Close-up Gendai (クロ現) series around the time I arrived in Narita in last December. I felt like that was far better than what I had experienced at Narita.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shimane and Tottori have both reported under 100 cases today, keeping the streak alive.

Wakayama has been approved as the 35th prefecture to enter the pseudo emergency restrictions from Saturday.

In the weekly Tokyo monitoring meeting, experts have raised both "Infection situation" and "System for the provision of health care" markers to the highest Red level, for the first time since last Sepember. At the current pace, models are showing that on February 10th, the seven day average of new cases will rise to 24,756, a level higher than the current highest yet seen in a single day.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shimane and Tottori have both reported under 100 cases today, keeping the streak alive.

Wakayama has been approved as the 35th prefecture to enter the pseudo emergency restrictions from Saturday.

In the weekly Tokyo monitoring meeting, experts have raised both "Infection situation" and "System for the provision of health care" markers to the highest Red level, for the first time since last Sepember. At the current pace, models are showing that on February 10th, the seven day average of new cases will rise to 24,756, a level higher than the current highest yet seen in a single day.
And in Tokyo, there were 28 people hospitalised with severe symptoms yesterday. Out of a capacity of 510.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And in Tokyo, there were 28 people hospitalised with severe symptoms yesterday. Out of a capacity of 510.
By Tokyo standards (actually 30). By national standards, the number is well over 500, over a third of capacity.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By Tokyo standards (actually 30). By national standards, the number is well over 500, over a third of capacity.
I guess there are many versions of the number, you say 30, the article you link says 29, and Tokyo's own page says 28. But that's probably about the same number anyway so that's probably not going to get us to disagree much.

Yes the national measurement was 540 out of 1468 capacity. Also not a number that makes me worried.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Minato Ku sent me the invitation to get the booster shot. However, there is a massive however. The invitation is for 8 months after my second jab, so I am ready to get my Japan booster shot on the 4th of April..... And here I was thinking for a brief second that Japan was getting on the beat, but no.

Thank you Denmark for arranging a booster shot in December.
We have the option as walk-ins for Moderna, but are holding out for Pfizer tickets since we already did Moderna. Seems best our boys avoid Moderna as well.

My inlaws got their boosters a week ago, 8 months after the first shots.
Then there are my hold-out unvaccinated friends (Japanese and American), now getting natural immunity through Omicron. I need to ask whether the 2 days of fever/sore throat were worth not getting the shots. They have young kids, so it was inevitable they would get it.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Then there are my hold-out unvaccinated friends (Japanese and American), now getting natural immunity through Omicron. I need to ask whether the 2 days of fever/sore throat were worth not getting the shots.
Rumor has it there are people getting 2 days of fever/sore throat even with the shots.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:47 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Rumor has it there are people getting 2 days of fever/sore throat even with the shots.
It's almost as you've been living under a rock. YES, that happens to a lot of people that are vaccinated. This has been repeated ad nauseam for a year now. The shots HELP protect you from SERIOUS illness. Nothing else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.