Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by nmpls
My work (in the US) vaccinated a bunch of us back in February/March because we work with at risk populations. I would say younger people had more side-effects than older people with Moderna. That said, the side-effects were extremely mild, generally comparable to a minor hangover, sometimes with a light fever, after the second. The first had very minimal impacts on us.
Pfizer does seem to have a bit fewer side effects, as some people I work with got that a bit later and really had very few issues.
Its all anecdotes. The one thing I will note is we had a bunch of covid cases and a few deaths in 2020, and any side-effects were minimal compared to any symptomatic covid case.
Remember sampling error when evaluating "reports" of side effects. People who didn't have any (or minimal) se are less likely to be as verbal about it. And I totally agree the se are nothing compared to symptomatic covid (or worse death or long covid).
In the US we are experiencing people who refused vac asking for the vac as their docs tell them they need to be intubated (and of course having to tell them that it's "too late")!
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
With yesterday being a holiday, I was pretty sure we would finally end our streak of days higher than the previous week, but even with way fewer tests yesterday, today's 1359 still beat out last Friday's 1271.

If we beat out last Saturday's 1410 even after a double holiday, then may Amaterasu have mercy on our soles.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:22 am

I saw a segment on CBC about how open Japan is. I was completely unaware. Normally they play things up but did not look like it. I am not surprised the numbers are up and will probably continue.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
There was another update to the quartine requirements entering Japan.

For hotel quarantine duration:
Pakistan was moved to 6 days from 10 and thus resident foreigners can reenter Japan from Pakistan, Uganda to 3 from 6 days. Myanmar and was added to 6, Iran and Oman to 3 days. For US travellers, Oklahoma and Missouri was added to the 3 day regime.

Non moved to only home quarantine this time.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Topcare
I saw a segment on CBC about how open Japan is. I was completely unaware. Normally they play things up but did not look like it. I am not surprised the numbers are up and will probably continue.
Japan has never once been "locked down", because the Constitution doesn't allow for it. Any time the streets of Tokyo became bare, it was entirely due to the self restraint of its residents. But they are no longer willing to refrain from doing things in numbers significant enough to have any effect on the usual crowding, so we're kind of in unchartered territory here.

The one card that the government hasn't played yet is requesting a broader variety of establishments to close, such as in the first emergency. I think that that's the only thing left that can be done to bring the numbers down until more of the population can be vaccinated.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Japan has never once been "locked down", because the Constitution doesn't allow for it. Any time the streets of Tokyo became bare, it was entirely due to the self restraint of its residents. But they are no longer willing to refrain from doing things in numbers significant enough to have any effect on the usual crowding, so we're kind of in unchartered territory here.

The one card that the government hasn't played yet is requesting a broader variety of establishments to close, such as in the first emergency. I think that that's the only thing left that can be done to bring the numbers down until more of the population can be vaccinated.
Until they close Ginza shopping and the likes again, crowds are not going to subside substantially compared to now. To the untrained eye, Ginza does look crazily busy, but it is not really. Though of course the majority of the crowds that are gone are the foreign visitors. I think local Tokyo visits are back up to normal.

Domestic flights are still quite empty. I was in Sapporo for a quick stint Thursday, and while first class and Class J were full, Y was more than plenty open. If you want social distancing flying domestic these days, just stay in the back rows.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
If we beat out last Saturday's 1410 even after a double holiday, then may Amaterasu have mercy on our soles.
Is that the Amaterasu who is the patron deity of cobblers?
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by 5khours
Is that the Amaterasu who is the patron deity of cobblers?
Well, at least tap dancers.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
then may Amaterasu have mercy on our soles.
Actually, since Amaterasu is a sun goddess (Shinto), she may not answer your prayers. You may have better luck with Kannon, who is the goddess of mercy (Buddhist). Just sayin'...
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Actually, since Amaterasu is a sun goddess (Shinto), she may not answer your prayers. You may have better luck with Kannon, who is the goddess of mercy (Buddhist). Just sayin'...
Well, I don't feel the burning heat of the licking on my feet of the Podophilic Shinto Sun Goddess, since we "only" had 1128 cases today.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There was another update to the quartine requirements entering Japan.

For hotel quarantine duration:
Pakistan was moved to 6 days from 10 and thus resident foreigners can reenter Japan from Pakistan, Uganda to 3 from 6 days. Myanmar and was added to 6, Iran and Oman to 3 days. For US travellers, Oklahoma and Missouri was added to the 3 day regime.

Non moved to only home quarantine this time.
Are the state requirements on where you have been for most of your stay, or where you are departing from? I could see someone driving across state lines to get to an airport in a state that does not have the 3-day requirement. Or getting stuck if a transit included a state on the "bad" list. Or perhaps transit doesn't count?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Are the state requirements on where you have been for most of your stay, or where you are departing from? I could see someone driving across state lines to get to an airport in a state that does not have the 3-day requirement. Or getting stuck if a transit included a state on the "bad" list. Or perhaps transit doesn't count?
Transit does not count. But if you have stayed in the named states within 14 days of arriving in Japan, the hotel quarantine kicks in. Of course they don't have a way of verifying, apart from the passenger filling in and signing a government form to the best extend of their knowledge.

If have not heard of anyone being questioned more than "Have to you been to any other places?" to which a quick no ends the discussion. But maybe if you come on a JAL flight from Seattle and claim to not have been to Washington (the state) they might want to see a copy of your ticket, which they could already have, as Japan requires API from the airlines.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Transit does not count. But if you have stayed in the named states within 14 days of arriving in Japan, the hotel quarantine kicks in. Of course they don't have a way of verifying, apart from the passenger filling in and signing a government form to the best extend of their knowledge.

If have not heard of anyone being questioned more than "Have to you been to any other places?" to which a quick no ends the discussion. But maybe if you come on a JAL flight from Seattle and claim to not have been to Washington (the state) they might want to see a copy of your ticket, which they could already have, as Japan requires API from the airlines.
I was somehow under the impression that transit did count based on posts above. Does the documentation specifically say transit is actually ok? If so, I wonder what qualifies as transit (how many hours, what if you leave the airport during a long or overnight layover, etc). Seems difficult to police.

For the poster with the questions, indeed, they will simply ask you where you were and they have no real way to confirm anything except for where your flight originated from. And if that city was a transit stop on a separate ticket, how would they know except to ask you to see the other ticket perhaps, but even still, it’s basically the honors system with the quarantine officers in Japan. Let’s just be glad they don’t treat all 50 states the same and lowest common denominate the rules based on the worst conditions.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
I was somehow under the impression that transit did count based on posts above. Does the documentation specifically say transit is actually ok? If so, I wonder what qualifies as transit (how many hours, what if you leave the airport during a long or overnight layover, etc). Seems difficult to police.

For the poster with the questions, indeed, they will simply ask you where you were and they have no real way to confirm anything except for where your flight originated from. And if that city was a transit stop on a separate ticket, how would they know except to ask you to see the other ticket perhaps, but even still, it’s basically the honors system with the quarantine officers in Japan. Let’s just be glad they don’t treat all 50 states the same and lowest common denominate the rules based on the worst conditions.
As is not unusual in Japan, the wording is not entirely clear. In the immigration part they talk about 滞在歴がある and in the quarantine part they talk about 国、地域からすべての入国人. So either a history of staying for immigration or entrants coming from certain regions or countries for quarantine purposes. In some of the earlier versions it was clearly mentioned that transit was allowed, that was from the MOJ and was for immigration purposes. I think the quarantine rules have never actually been fully clear. Then again when I have flown via Qatar, I have never indicated to have been in Qatar and that has always been accepted. Though clearly arriving on a flight from Qatar which is also written on the paper work they are looking at. Leading me to interpret that a normal stop in an airport does not count.

From an international perspective, transit would generally mean not entering the country, but staying airside. Though with the added complication that a few countries like the US does not actually allow for airside international transit. And once you come to domestic transits in the US it gets quite murky on what is a transit, though I'd still probably say not leaving the airport counts as a transit not a stay.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I don't feel the burning heat of the licking on my feet of the Podophilic Shinto Sun Goddess, since we "only" had 1128 cases today.
With 1763 today, we may still need the deity of tap dancers and cobblers....
nishimark likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.